Chapter 8

My Memories Are With You

"I have news for you." Is the first thing he says to you. He sounds rushed almost, as if he can't wait to tell you. You wonder what's so important.

"What is it?" You raise an eyebrow, mostly to yourself. (You have a habit of expressing your emotions through facial expressions.)

You hear him take a deep breath. He sounds excited. "How would you like to be a singer?"

You actually stop in your tracks. You're about halfway home from Kai's house to yours and your mind stops thinking. "W...what?"

He starts laughing, but stops himself to tell you again. "Well, do you want to be a singer?"

"I...what? Yes?! What are you talking about?" You don't want to shout, but your brain is begging for an explanation. What the hell is he talking about?

"I found a way to be together... My manager heard you sing, and with a few twists and turns, and a deal or two, he agreed to scout you into the company. We could become a duo!"

You're speechless, for how long, you're not sure. But Luhan starts saying, "hey, are you there? You okay?"

"No, I'm still here." You say to reassure him, and to give yourself some time to process. "You're...serious? But I thought you were solo?"

"The company is letting me set it back a few months so we can debut together." You can hear the smile in his voice, and it's like the song of an angel. Is he serious? You? A singer?

"But...I don't know what it's like to be an idol. I can't dance, I'm not that good with crowds, I--"

You hear him chuckle at the other end and that stops you. What is there to laugh about? He interrupts you. "I don't know either. But let's find out together."

--------------------------------------------------------

The last thing you said to him before the goodbyes and hanging up was a "I...need some time to think it over." And maybe it was just you, but he sounded a little relieved to hear that. 

This is any girl's dream. To be an idol, to be famous and loved, and most of all, to be with the boy she loves. But you can't help but think, wow, this is a huge step from my usual life. You wouldn't be able to see your parents as often. You wouldn't be able to go to school normally. You wouldn't be able to do anything the same ever again. And wait.

What about Kai?

You want to do it. Part of you, a huge part of you is extremely curious as to what it's like living that kind of lifestyle. What it's like to be a someone. So how can you include the people most important to you with you?

You arrive at your house just seconds later and you've already come up with a plan. Yes, you'd accept the offer. You'd accept something that would change your life forever, but you'd have make some deals first.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The phone rings once. Twice. You fidget a little, tapping your fingers against your wooden desk. Your eyebrows squint a little in frustration, wondering, will he pick up?

You hear a click through the line, a bit of static, and then a tired voice says, "hello...?" with a sigh. You wonder if he even glanced at the screen before picking up.

"Luhan? Why do you sound so exhausted?"

"Oh!" He says with sudden enthusiasm. It's as if he perked up from just hearing your voice and the thought of that makes your heart skip a beat. You didn't realize how much you missed having his presence around even though he was only here for a few days. In those few days, he had blended into your life and now, the fact that you couldn't wake up with him across the hall was a bit disturbing and it bothered you more than you let on. "Sorry, I just had a practice and it was a bit...difficult this time."

"I see..." You let a little silence drift in between the lull in the conversation before saying, "Lulu...?"

He half-whispers a sweet, "yeah?"

"I want to accept your...offer."

He's silent for a second. And then he laughs. "Really? That's great! God, my manager was just saying if I really wanted you to come, I should go pick you up soo-"

"But I have a...um...compromise."

"-n....wait, huh?"

"It's Kai." You say simply, unsure of how to phrase it in one go.

"What about him?" He asks, suspicious.

"I don't want to leave him behind here."

He silent for a second. You're a little worried -- ok, really worried -- but you can only wait. "Why..." He tries to start. "Is he that important?"

"Yes!" You say, maybe a too quickly. "He's been my best friend for so long. Luhan, he was my best friend when you...left."

There's another silence, more uncomfortable than the last. You hear him sigh. "So what am I supposed to do?"

You gulp. "...He can dance. He can rap. I've heard him before. He's...really amazing."

"I don't know what I can do about tha-"

"He doesn't have to debut with us!" Would this be your last point? "We can be...us. But maybe he can train with us. Maybe we can all work under the same label. I don't know but...can't...we try?"

Yet another silence; three too many for your liking. "I have to go." His voice is hard. "I'll see what I can do." You imagine him biting his lip. "I'll call later, I promise." His voice lightens a little and you hear the smack of lips as he blows you a kiss through the phone. It's so cute, you can't help but smile. He hangs up and you lean back against the chair with a sigh, feeling as if you've been holding in a breath this whole time.

Now all you can do is wait.