Chapter 6

My Memories Are With You

He invites himself in because, for some reason, your mom trusts him enough to give him a spare key. There are some things about your mom that you don't get. Your mom likes Kai, she says he's a "good kid, very polite". You roll your eyes when you hear the door open and he shouts out, "I'm here!" in that cheery way of his. You're in your room, like usual, at the desk. Even though you feel a bit irked whenever he does that, you honestly don't mind when he comes in. You could use the company. You walk in just in time to see him take off his last shoe and skip up the step. He greets you with a devilish smirk, a pat on the head, and walks right by you towards the kitchen. 

"Well, why don't you come in, Kai? Yes, it's nice to see you too..." You mutter to yourself sarcastically, slightly irritated. You can already hear your mother enthusiastically greet him from behind the counter. You walk into the kitchen and flick him on the head while sitting down on one of the bar chairs. 

"Ow! What's with you today?" He says, not looking the slightest bit hurt as he rubs the back of his head whilst grinning. Your mom gives you a scolding look, shaking her head slowly. But you catch her smiling to herself. 

"Nothing. Why're you bored again? Go find your girlfriend or something." Recently, Kai had started dating another girl in your class. She was pretty, rich, smart, popular, and not just a bit snobby. 

He didn't exactly frown at the sound of that, but his smile dropped. "Her? Hm. I dumped her." 

Your eyes widen at the sound of that. "What? First time I've heard of that... Why didn't you tell me?"

He looks, for a second, at your mother, who appears to be busy chopping vegetables, humming to herself. The TV is on behind you two, and she occasionally glances at it. Your mother loves to try and make new foods, an experiment of hers that she does in her spare time. He looks back at you.

"Let's go to my room...to study." You start to move off the chair and Kai follows behind you. 

"Do you two want me to bring you some snacks later?" You turn to your mother as she says this. She's not even looking up from her cooking.

"No mom, it's okay. If we need anything, we'll get it ourselves."

"Okay." She continues chopping.

As you two are walking back to your room, Kai leans close to your ear and whispers, "Where's your dad?" You can feel his breath on your neck.

"Work." You answer simply and calmly. "He has another meeting today."

He nods quietly and opens the door to your room for you. Before you walk in, you take a glance at the room across the hall, then quickly turn away. You didn't let Kai see your frown. 

He shuts the door after himself and leans against the wall. "Where's that guy?"

You sit on the desk chair. "His name is Luhan and he's at work."

"Everyone's at work, huh?" He takes a seat on your bed. 

"Mm." You don't say anything, just shrug. You spin the chair around and around. "Yeah. I guess." You suddenly stop and sit up straight. "So tell me about the ex."

He gets up and then sits back down. Fidgety. "I didn't like her anymore." 

"Yeah no one really does." He laughs at that. 

"Shut up. I've made some bad choices in my life, okay? She just...wasn't interesting anymore."

You lean forward and raise an eyebrow. "So there's another girl?" You look at the way he's sitting, a pose that he often does. Elbows on his knees, hands clasped together, head down. His head moves up just a bit, and he looks up at you. 

"Yeah."

You lean back. "Oh really? Who?"

"You."

Silence. You don't move, and he doesn't look away. And then he starts laughing.

"Joking, joking! Jeez, look at your face. God you actually believed me." He says with a grin. But there's something about the way he says that that makes you think twice.

"Sorry Kai."

"What?"

You cross your legs on the chair. "I...love Luhan." 

You two stare at each other for what seems like forever. He opens his mouth...and closes it. Then he does that again. 

"I know." He finds his voice. "I don't know what to say to that."

His expression is flat. You stay silent, also unsure of what to say. 

"I have to go." He gets up. You get up too, to walk him to the door. He turns around and you think he might stop you, but he opens the door quietly. As he walks by the kitchen, your mom says, "Leaving already?" He looks up with a smile and nods. 

"Thank you."

"Come anytime." She responds with a smile.

You two reach the door. He turns around and gives you the slightest bit of a smile. "See you."

"Bye Kai." You try to smile back. "I'll call or text."

"Yeah." 

He shuts the door behind him. You wait a minute. And another minute. But you don't move from your spot.

---------------------------------------------

"Luhan?" You answer your phone excitedly. 

"Hey..." He sounds exhausted.

"Are you okay?" You ask, worried. 

"Sing for me again? Please?"

"Wh...what? I..." You can almost imagine the face he has now. Big eyes looking up at you behind long lashes, corners of his mouth slightly turned down. You start to sing.

You hear him sigh when you finish. "Thank you. I have to go now. Bye!"

"Bye." You hang up. When will he come back? You think to yourself. You fall back onto the bed with a sigh. 

Will he even come back?