Chapter 5

His Twin Brothers

Chapter 5

He was alone in his bedroom, in the mix of anxiety and guiltiness. Kris didn’t know whether he should warn Hae Jin or not. Though he was jealous of Dr. Lay, but Kris know he’s still not a bad guy at all. Hae Jin deserved to choose who ever she wanted to be with. One thing that Kris was so sure, he had to tell Hae Jin about Joo Hyun’s plan on Dr. Lay.

“Hello,” Hae Jin answered.

“Hae Jin-ah~” Kris was quavering.

“Yes, Kris. What is it? We’d just met yesterday.” She can’t wait.

“Hae Jin, I’ve to tell you something. Actually,…” he stopped, doubt to tell the truth.

“Are you okay?” The silence made Hae Jin curious.

“I… I just want to tell you that…” He stuttered. “…your father is back.” He didn’t finish yet, but Hae Jin shrieked in excitement.

“What? Is this true? You’re not joking right?” Hae Jin way too excited and without she realized, she had hung the phone and made Kris totally upset.

“Hae Jin-ah~, your father wants to hurt Dr. Lay. Mr. Baek planned to set both of you apart.” Kris whispered to his phone.

 

7 pm, Dr. Lay drove back home from hospital. In his head was Hae Jin’s hot seaweed soup. His hungry stomach urged him to accelerate on the road. Finally his car parked swiftly. He accelerated his steps to the elevator. Suddenly he stopped, he left his briefcase. He walked back to his car. With no light, he tried to find his briefcase. He was bending down to pull the briefcase when he was strongly being pull backward. The strong force made him fell on the ground. In pain, he slowly urged himself to be on all fours. He lifted his face and saw four strangers in front of him.

“Who are you?” Two of them lifted Dr. Lay. The one with cap came to him and grabbed Dr. Lay’s hair.

“Get him into the car!” The leader shouted.

“What do you want from me?” Dr. Lay pulled his hands and wanted to fight back. A kick hit his ribs. Dr. Lay fell on his knees, coughing in an unbearable pain and blood dripped from his mouth. His tiredness of working and painful body forced him to follow them.

Hae Jin took a glance at the clock, 2:45am. She’d tried to call Dr. Lay, but he didn’t pick up the phone.

“Where are you?” she sighed at her phone. Hae Jin stepped out of the elevator with her head kept worrying about Dr. Lay. She stopped. Dr. Lay’s car was right in front of her. She stepped closer to the car. The door was left open. There’s blood on the ground. Hae Jin shivered and took a step back. Her heart was beating out of normal. She’s anxious. She pulled out her phone. Her fingers were busy dialing. She was calling someone who she used to call before when she needed help.

“Hello.” It’s Kris.

“Kris, help me. Lay… Something happened to Lay!” Kris was half asleep. He forced his eyelids to lift up high.

“Hae Jin-ah, it’s okay? Calm down. Take a deep breath. Talk to me slowly.” Hae Jin started to cry.

“Lay is gone.” She sobbed heavily.

“Gone? What do you mean he’s gone?” Kris already changed his pajama.

“I waited for him till late night and went out to find him. I saw his car at the parking lot. But, he’s not in the car and the door was left open. And.. And..” She continued crying.

“Hae Jin, talk to me. It’s okay. Talk to me, okay?” Kris told Hae Jin to keep talking to ensure she’s fine.

“Kris, there’s blood dripped on the ground. I’m scared. Kris, I’m scared.” Kris startled at the word ‘blood’.

“H..Hae Jin, listen to me carefully. Don’t touch anything. Call the police. I’m on my way. Don’t worry, okay?” his black Mercedes accelerated on the road.

His sight was totally black. He heard the voice of someone talking and ordering the others. He was tied on a chair. Sound of footsteps approaching Dr. Lay. Someone then whispered to his ear, “Big boss is here. Behave yourself or die!” The voice warned him before the cloth that covered his eyes was untied. He blinked a few times to get a better sight. A man in his black coat sat ahead of Dr. Lay. His appearance made Dr. Lay assumed he was the big boss.

“Who are you? What do you want from me?” Dr. Lay questioned the one in front of him. But, the man laughed at his question.

“’Who’? You should’ve known me before you touch my daughter.” His playful face turned fierce.

“Daughter?” Dr. Lay’s head was busy remembering all the girls he ever touched without their guardian permission and a name pop out of his head.

“H…Hae Jin? Y...You are Hae Jin’s f…father?” Dr. Lay got it right.

“But, why don’t you meet her? Do you know how bad her condition was when Mrs. Choi died?” His direct question boiled Joo Hyun.

“Who are you to teach me? Orphan boy! You have no different with the beggars, begging here and there without self-respect.” Dr. Lay was burning.

“Being a beggar is far better than being a cruel blind rich man who left his daughter in miserable like you, pathetic-rich-man!” Joo Hyun angrily gestured his followers to bring Dr. Lay away from him. Two men pulled him to a room. As the door was closed, he was being hit at every inch of his body. He groaned out loud in pain, but they beat him with no mercy. His sight started blurring when a voice uttered, “Leave the girl or your little brothers die!” He finally fainted after a kick hit his head.

Hae Jin was shivering at the lobby waiting for Kris. There’re policemen around Dr. Lay’s car. Kris had just arrived and he had a talk with the inspector in charge, Inspector Jong In. As the car has been taken by the police for further investigation, Kris approached Hae Jin.

“It’s okay?” Kris worried. Hae Jin hugged him tightly.

“Do you want to go back home with me?” Hae Jin shook her head.

“Or, do you want to go to your villa?” again she shook.

“I want to wait for Lay in his apartment.” Kris clung Hae Jin’s arm, accompanied her back to Dr. Lay’s apartment. At the door, Kris loosened his clang on her arm and about to leave.

“Don’t go. Please don’t go, Kris.” She pleaded. Her shadowy eyes made Kris stepped inside. They sat at the couch with Kris’s arm was still in Hae Jin’s. She hugged him. It was like a dream came true for Kris when Hae Jin landed her head on his laps before she fell asleep. He cuddled her warmly, not wanting Hae Jin to reject him. But he then realized, Hae Jin was now Dr. Lay’s love one. Slowly, he released her for his hug.

KRIS’S POV – I want to be yours, Hae Jin. But, I understand when you said you love Lay. I understand how it feels when you finally find your first love. It just like the way I finally found mine. The first time I saw her pretty eyes, they were as deep as the ocean. I know, not only me will sink into her deep eyes. Though she isn’t mine, I promise myself that I’ll always be by her side to protect her, to support her. I will always love you, Hae Jin, only you.

 

“Have you brought her back home?” Joo Hyun called Kris

“I’ve talked to her, but she decided to wait at Lay’s apartment. Don’t worry, I’ll look after her.” Kris’ answer gave a bright hope for Joo Hyun.

“Bring her home as soon as possible.” Joo Hyun then hung the phone

“Who are you talking with?” Hae Jin was standing behind Kris with a curious face.

“It’s your father. He keeps asking about you. Hae Jin-ah, when do you plan to meet him? He misses you.” Hae Jin made her-self busy at the kitchen.

“I miss him too, Kris. But, I want to meet him with Lay. I want dad to meet the one who I choose to live with.” Kris became anxious with Hae Jin’s wish.

“But, at least you should meet your father first, tell him how nice Lay is to you.” Kris persuaded her to save Dr. Lay. He didn’t want Hae Jin to know about Joo Hyun’s plan

“Maybe, you’re right. But, I want to wait until Lay is back. I want to tell him about my plan.” Kris faked out a smile to cheer Hae Jin up.

 

Kris had left for class and Hae Jin was alone at Dr. Lay’s apartment. Her phone rung, an unknown phone number appeared on the screen.

“Hello.” she awkwardly answered.

“Miss Baek, this is Inspector Jong In. We’ve found Dr. Lay. Please come to the hospital.” Without wasting a single second, Hae Jin ran outside, took the elevator, flagged a cab and directed the driver to the hospital. She paid extra cash to the driver and stepped out of the cab. She stormed down the hospital hallways. She didn’t need any help to find Dr. Lay. Her sense was strong enough for her to finally meet Dr. Lay lying weakly on his bed. The bandage that covered his head, waist and hand scared her. His skin was full of bruises and wounds. She couldn’t hold it anymore. She was sobbing at the door.

“Miss Baek, can we talk?” Inspector Jong In called her. They walked to a waiting room, 5 meters away from Dr. Lay’s room.

“Miss Hae Jin, how long have you known Dr. Lay?” the first question was so easy to answer.

“It’s around 8 months. He was the doctor who treated my mother.” Inspector Jong In nodded and jot down her answer.

“Based on what the doctor told me regarding Dr. Lay, there are serious injuries all over his body, including his head. He is so lucky the injury on his head does not affect his brain activity. For your information, he got beaten by more than three people in one time. My last question is do you know anyone who might be his enemy, someone who might bear a grudge against him?” Hae Jin startled, she bit her lips why her head was busy thinking.

“It’s okay. Take your time. If you have any information, please contact us.” They bowed to each other and dismiss. Hae Jin bumped with Tao at the door.

“What happened to Lay? Who did this to him?” Tao attacked Hae Jin with the questions that even she didn’t know the answer.

“I don’t know. I’ve just arrived here. But…” she stopped, worried Tao might get shock.

“But, what?” Tao widened his small eyes.

“The inspector told me he was beaten by strangers. Do you know anyone who might hurt him?” Tao didn’t take so long to answer.

“Impossible! He’s too kind for somebody to hurt him.” As their conversation ended, they both walked inside the room and stood next to Dr. Lay’s bed.

“I’ve to make a phone call. Can you watch him for me?” Tao made a request.

“You don’t have to ask.”

“Thank you, Hae Jin.” Tao smiled.

1 month later…

“So, have you bought the ring?” Tao wanted Dr. Lay to be sure.

“I don’t have time to buy the ring. What should I do?” Dr. Lay was kind of worry.

“How will you propose her without a ring, Lay? Can’t you just calm down and plan it out perfectly? Stupid!” Tao took a spoon on the table and hit Dr. Lay’s head.

“Only this time, I forgive you for the spoon.” Dr. Lay rubbed his head.

“But Tao, help me. I don’t know how to do it properly.” He pouted.

“I’ll see what I can do for you.” Tao agreed to help Dr. Lay. Dr. Lay grabbed Tao’s hands tightly.

“Thanks, you are my bestfriend, Tao.” Dr. Lay kissed Tao’s hands for a few times, thanking him. Tao quickly pulled his hands away from Dr. Lay. He pushed Dr. Lay’s face further from his hands.

“But, nothing is free in this world.” Tao smirked.

“If you really make my wish came true, I’ll pay you with my last breath.” Dr. Lay hugged Tao forcefully.

LAY’S POV – Hae Jin isn’t my first love, but I’m sure she’s the last one. Dara, I finally find my new love. It’s not because I’ve forget you, her love just like your love faithful and full of passion. Joo Hyun, I wish you’ll see my sincerity toward Hae Jin. I won’t let her go. I don’t want to lose my love twice. This is the right time for me. I’ve to get her even if I’ve to die for it.

“Has Lay told you anything about the incident? Has he told you who did that to him?” Kris and Hae Jin spend their free time together.

“Nope. He told me the light was dimmed, it’s difficult for him to see the attackers and he can’t remember their faces after he was kicked at the head.” Hae Jin explained. Kris disappointed, he thought if Dr. Lay can remember Joo Hyun, Hae Jin and Dr. Lay can be safe after Joo Hyun had been jailed.

“Yesterday, Dr. Lay asked me your phone number. If he tells you anything about me, don’t forget to inform me, okay?” Hae Jin acted cute. Kris nodded and smiled. He had received a text message from Dr. Lay. They’ll have lunch together. Dr. Lay was planning a surprise for Hae Jin. Kris had a pleasure to team up with him.

 

“Are you trying to against me?” Joo Hyun blew out.

“Yes, I am. I love Hae Jin and I won’t break her heart like you did. I can see how much Dr. Lay loves her.” Kris bravely replied.

“If you are not Mr. Wu’s son, I have killed you!” Joo Hyun scolded Kris.

“I know what you did to Lay. If you try to hurt him again, don’t blame me if our joint-venture has to end.” Kris warned Joo Hyun.

“I won’t let it happen!” Joo Hyun shouted. Kris stood up and about to leave.

“Lay will propose Hae Jin this weekend and they’ll be busy for their wedding preparation. I won’t visit you for this few days. Take care of yourself and don’t be too emotional.” Joo Hyun kept his mouth shut while his head kept pounding, tried to figure out a way to separate Hae Jin from Dr. Lay.

“We’ll see if I change my mind.” Joo Hyun smirked out playfully. Kris left the office with a hope that Joo Hyun will bless Hae Jin’s marriage.

 

As promised, Dr. Lay and Kris had their lunch together.

“So, what’s your plan?” Kris spoke up.

“Today, Tao will arrange the venue and you, you’ve to help me.” Kris used a tissue to wipe his mouth and turned to Dr. Lay.

“What is it?” Dr. Lay dropped the cutleries on the table.

“I’ve problem on buying the ring. I don’t know Hae Jin’s style. As her bestfriend, I’m sure you know her taste, right?” Dr. Lay waved his hand to a waiter.

“Though Hae Jin was born in a wealthy family background, she’s not the kind of girl who loves accessories. But, it’s not difficult to choose a ring for her. She is very simple and easy. So, when will we buy the ring?” Dr. Lay paid the bill.

“How about, now? Are you busy?” They walked together, leaving the restaurant.

“I’m free.” Kris agreed. Dr. Lay invited Kris to ride his car.

“Since when have you known Hae Jin?” Dr. Lay tried to know Kris better.

“When we were five year old, I’d just moved from Canada. Our families are so close together.  At that time, I can’t speak Korean and she can’t speak English. It was so funny when we played together and it seemed like we really do understand each other. For more than 5 years she’d been my interpreter.” Kris smiled to his pass story.

“I envy you. How can you guys be so close to each other? Looks like you both are meant to be together.” Dr. Lay frankly speaking.

“We promised to be bestfriend for eternity.” Kris proudly replied.

“I hope Tao will love me till eternity too.” They both laughed to Dr. Lay’s wish.

Hae Jin was busy with her thesis. Yes, she’s back to her study. She missed the day she had to look after her sick mother. She missed Yoo Jin’s warm hugs. A hot drop of tears dripped on her cheek.

“Mum, I miss you.” She wiped her tears away and focused on a pile of papers in front of her. Usually every weekend she’ll hang outs with Dr. Lay, Tao and Kris. They’ll have a talk about each other interests and activities. Hae Jin loved it so much. But, for these past few days, the three boys seemed like avoiding her. She tried to think positively by having a thought that they might want to give her some space for her study. But instead, she can’t focus at all. Hae Jin dropped her pen on the desk and her head was busy thinking of something. It’s about her father, Joo Hyun.

“When are going to meet him? Tell him about Lay?” Kris always reminds her to meet Joo Hyun. She didn’t know why she had a strange feeling on meeting her father. She did miss her father, but there’s something that made her delayed the meeting. Hae Jin was lying down on the floor, took a rest for a few moment before she continued her thesis.

 

The ring was now on Dr. Lay’s hand. They’d bought a gold ring with three diamonds on the top. The diamonds represent their love and friendship.

“Thanks Kris, you’ve help me a lot.” Dr. Lay pleased.

“No sweat. It’s for Hae Jin, anyway.” Kris and Dr. Lay became friendlier.

“Lay, can I ask you something?” Kris asked Dr. Lay.

“Yeah, sure. What is it?” Dr. Lay replied.

“Why don’t you tell Hae Jin about that night? Why don’t you make a police report?” His questions made Dr. Lay’s smile vanished.

“What do you mean? I’ve told you that I can’t remember the suspects.” Dr. Lay tried to lie. Kris faked a laugh.

“You lied to her. You should have told her that her father is the one who cause the incident Lay.” Kris revealed Lay’s secret.

“How do you know about this?” Instead of answering, he questioned Kris back.

“I know everything about Joo Hyun’s plan. I kind of regret for bringing him back to Korea.” Kris turned mad when he talked about Joo Hyun.

“He is Hae Jin’s father. How can I lodge a police report? He is a father and he is being a protective parent.” Kris nodded to Dr. Lay’s explanation.

“But, I want you to beware. Don’t take it easy, Joo Hyun will get you back.” Kris slapped Dr. Lay’s shoulder softly before he left.

 

On the first day of winter, on the proposal day..

Dr. Lay’s text a message to Hae Jin – Hae Jin-ah~ Meet me at Leo Restaurant at 7pm. I’ll be there after work. It had been quite a long time since their last dinner together. Hae Jin was so excited. The clock showed that it was still 5pm, but Hae Jin was already busy with her dresses. As the hour and minute hands knocked number 6, Hae Jin had done dressing. She pulled a pair of high-heels from a white box. She wore the shoes swiftly and rushed outside. As she stepped out of the elevator, there were two boys complete with their suit, smiling at her. Hae Jin gave out a big laugh.

“What is this?” She asked Tao and Kris.