Chapter 2

His Twin Brothers

CHAPTER 2

She didn’t know how many times she had dialed up her father’s number.

“The number you dial is out of range. Please try again later.” She can’t contact him.

“So, how is it?” Kris sat next to Hae Jin with a tray on his hands. Hae Jin laid her head on the table. They’re at the café. At first, Hae Jin insisted to go but, Kris constantly begging her to go with him.

“He’s out of range.” Hae Jin answered shortly.

“Now, let’s eat. You look so ugly with that weak face.” Kris petted Hae Jin’s head and tried to persuade her.

“I don’t want to.” She ignored Kris.

“Come on. I won’t eat either if you insist.” Kris sulked.

“Up to you.” She boiled Kris up.

“Listen here. Your mum is sick. Aunt Yoo Ri is still shocked. And now, are you going to be like this?” still, no reply from Hae Jin.

“Your father isn’t here, how are you going to take care of your family?” She finally lifted her head. Kris’ hands were firmly holding Hae Jin’s. He slowly pushed the tray towards Hae Jin.

“You have to eat. Okay?” Hae Jin slurped the jajangmyun bought by Kris.

Hae Jin wiped Yoo Jin with a wet towel. Her mother looked so weak. Yoo Ri was sleeping on a sofa at the edge of the room. Kris was home. At first, he had insisted to stay with Hae Jin.

“Why are you still here? It’s already 2 a.m. Go home! I don’t want Aunt Mrs. Wu to worry.” Hae Jin increased her voice.

“I’ve called my mum, and she said okay. She also felt sorry for you.” Hae Jin walked closer to him.

“Kris, you’ve to rest. Don’t you have a test tomorrow?” she reminded him.

“O! I nearly forget about it. But, I still want to stay.” Again, Kris acted like a kid.

“You don’t have to worry about my mum. I’ll look after her. Besides, there are nurses here, right?”

Kris disagreed, “It’s not just about Aunt Yoo Jin. It is about you too. Our Hae Jin doesn’t know how to take care of herself. No matter what, I want to stay.” Silently, Hae Jin had a thought.

“I promise to get some rest, but you’ve to go back home. Kris, please.” Hae Jin persuaded him. With a sad face, he stood up, waved to Hae Jin and left.

“Miss, wake up!” A nurse shook Hae Jin. She woke up and took a glance at her watch. It’s eight in the morning. The first thing she saw was someone in white coat standing next to Yoo Jin’s bed. A stethoscope hung on his neck. He was busy examining Yoo Jin who had awake.

“Mum!” Hae Jin ran to get Yoo Jin into her hug.

“Don’t you’ve class today, honey?” Hae Jin froze, remembering the class that she supposed to attend today.

“O! You’re right, I’ve got to go. I’ll visit you after class.” Hae Jin gave her mother a warm kiss on the cheek. Rushing out of the hospital, tried to find a cab, but none of the cabs stopped. As she waved her hand to stop a cab, a very familiar car stopped in front of her.

“Quick! You don’t even get a bath yet.” Kris opened the door for Hae Jin.

“O! How do you know that I’m here?” Hae Jin wore the seat belt and closed the door.

“Your mum gave me a call, just now. So glad that I was on my way here when I received the call.” The black Mercedes accelerated on the road.

“She has now grown up.” Yoo Jin sighed. Dr. Lay turned his face to Yoo Jin.

“I’m sorry. Are you talking about the girl who left just now?” His question was replied by Yoo Jin with a nod.

“Her name is Hae Jin. Baek Hae Jin.” As she started, Dr. Lay was paying his attention.

“How a very young girl has to live alone.” A crystal like drop of tear fell onto her pale cheek.

“Don’t say that, Mrs. Choi. What do you mean, ‘she has to live alone’? Are you going to give up?” this young doctor politely asked.

“I won’t give up, but if my fate had reached its end. I can do nothing, but accept it.” Dr. Lay pulled his chair closer to Yoo Jin.

“We won’t know our destiny, Mrs. Choi. I’m sure Miss Baek is a strong girl.” He stood up and excused himself.

 

Kris was waiting for someone. As the door opened, students were storming out. And finally, the girl who he had been waiting for stepped out of the door.

“You’re here?” Hae Jin asked. Kris placed his arm on Hae Jin’s shoulder.

“Now, let’s go.” They walked together to the car park.

Before they stepped into Yoo Jin’s room, a nurse called Hae Jin to follow her. Hae Jin told Kris not to come with her. The nurse brought her to the doctor’s room.

Knock! Knock!

“Please come in!” she walked in awkwardly. Dr. Lay shook hand with her and invited her for a sit.

“How are you, Miss Baek?” Hae Jin shocked.

“You know my name?” Dr. Lay smiled. Your mum talked about you, before. She did mention your name too.” She suddenly felt uncomfortable.

“So, are you calling me just to have a chit chat?” Hae Jin stood up and about to leave.

“Please Miss Baek, it’s about your mum.” She stopped at the door.

“She’s worry about you.” Hae Jin sat back on the chair in front of Dr. Lay’s desk. They had a talk for nearly half an hour.

The door slid open. The first thing Kris saw was Hae Jin’s reddish and puffy eyes.

“How’s she?” Hae Jin asked Kris as she took a sit next to him.

“She’s fine. Aunt Yoo Jin was asleep right after she took the medicines. Are you okay?” Kris noticed something was wrong with Hae Jin.

“Nothing, I’m a bit tired.” Kris handed a cup of cappuccino that he bought while waiting for Hae Jin. Cappuccino is Hae Jin’s favourite coffee.

“I think Aunt Yoo Jin needs some rest. Can we have a talk at the cafeteria?” Kris pulled Hae Jin’s arm to follow him.

-at the café-

“What did the doctor said?” Kris chose a table at the corner of the cafeteria for privacy.

“He said…” It’s difficult for Hae Jin to tell the truth. She then continued, “…my mother, is an Alzheimer’s.” Hae Jin’s quavering after the word Alzheimer’s. Kris was shocked by Hae Jin’s answer.

“Had the specialist confirm this thing?” Kris was still can’t believe it. Hae Jin nodded no strength to talk anymore. Kris gave her a cuddle and let her cried on his shoulder.

“Hae Jin-ah, you’ve to be strong. Does Aunt Yoo Jin know about this?” Kris wanted to be sure.

“She knew it since six months ago. She kept the secret to avoid dad and I from worrying ‘bout her.” Hae Jin sobbed.

“Aunt Yoo Ri must be shocked if she heard about your mum.” Kris had a thought of Yoo Ri.

“Dad, please come back. I can’t take it anymore. I can’t, dad!” Hae Jin continued crying. Kris tightened his hug on Hae Jin.

2 months later…

“Where’s your father?” the question that Yoo Jin will ask every time she woke up in the morning.

“He went to China.” Hae Jin calmly answered.

“Mum, please get some rest. I’m going to cook porridge for you.” Hae Jin helped her mother on the bed.

“Add more chicken into the porridge.” She ordered. Hae Jin replied with a pretty smile.

CHIIINGG!!! A bowl of porridge fell on the floor.

“I don’t want to eat this porridge. There’re so many carrots in it. And I can’t even see the chicken.” Yoo Jin didn’t want to eat the porridge that Hae Jin cooked for her. The boiled porridge had splashed on Hae Jin’s feet. Yoo Ri quickly grabbed a towel to wipe Hae Jin’s feet.

“I’m fine, Aunty. I’m okay. Can you cook new porridge for mum?” Yoo Ri nodded and wanted to help Hae Jin to stand up, but she insisted to do it herself.

“Mum, I’m sorry. Can you wait for awhile? The porridge will be ready in a few minutes.” Hae Jin tried to keep Yoo Jin calm down.

“How long do I’ve to wait? I’m hungry.” Yoo Jin acted like she’s a six years old.

“Not so long. Don’t worry; I’ll wait here with you. Or, do you want to wait at our garden?” Hae Jin gave an idea.

“What a good idea. I love flowers. What type of flowers did you plant?” They both walked together to the garden.

-the next few weeks-

“Mum, Dr. Lay is here!” Hae Jin called Yoo Jin who was hiding. Yoo Jin thought Hae Jin was going to give her the medicines. But, today, after she heard Dr. Lay’s name, she stormed out from her hiding.

“How are you Mrs. Choi?” Dr. Lay waved.

“I’m fine. It’s been quite a long time.” From what Hae Jin saw, her mother will become well-mannered when Dr. Lay is around. And it’s easy to control her.

“Do you take the medicines properly?” Dr. Lay pulled his stethoscope out of the case. Yoo Jin didn’t answer.

“Do you like me visiting you daily?” Yoo Jin quickly nodded.

“Then, you’ve to promise me this one simple thing. Can you?” Yoo Jin was excited.

“Of course, anything you want.” Hae Jin smiled at her mother’s kid-like behavior.

“Promise me, that you’ll listen to Hae Jin. Do not burden her and you’ve to love her, promise?” Hae Jin was touched by Dr. Lay kindness. It took a few minutes before Yoo Jin answered, “Deal.”

Ding! Dong!

Someone was at the door. Hae Jin was busy managing her mother.

“Aunty, can you please get the door?” she shouted from upstairs. Yoo Ri who was cooking in the kitchen jogged to the door.

“How are you, Aunt Yoo Ri?” he greeted.

“Kris, please come in. It’s quite a long time since your last visit.” Yoo Ri invited Kris to have a sit.

“Aunt Yoo Ri, is Hae Jin upstairs?” Yoo Ri was about to go back to the kitchen.

“Yes, she’s upstairs. You can go meet her.” Kris thanked her with a smile.

“How are you?” Kris surprised Hae Jin.

“Kris!” Hae Jin jumped on him.

“Where have you been? I miss you.” Hae Jin was still hugging Kris tightly.

“Hey! Let me go, I can’t breathe…”

“…I miss you too. I’m quite busy for this few days. How are you?” Hae Jin loosened her hug.

“I’m fine, but a bit tired.” Hae Jin who was happy at first turned joyless.

“Are you okay?” Kris placed his palm on Hae Jin’s forehead. Hae Jin pushed Kris’s hand.

“I’m not sick. It’s about my father.” Kris felt so guilty for not visiting Hae Jin.

“Is he fine?” Kris was Hae Jin’s hair.

“I still can’t get him. It’s already two months, Kris. He has to know about mum.” Again, she cried.

“Hae Jin-ah, you’ve to stay calm. I’ll ask for my dad help.” Kris gently placed Hae Jin’s head on his shoulder.