Chapter 4

His Twin Brothers

Chapter 4

Dr. Lay was getting ready for work. Hae Jin was having her hot mushroom soup for breakfast.

“Hae Jin’ah~ I’ll be home on seven. Sorry cause I can’t stay at home with you.” Dr. Lay patted Hae Jin’s head.

“I’m fine. As a doctor, you’ve big responsible. I understand.” They started to care about each other.

“Can we have dinner together, tonight?” Hae Jin showed her pleading face. Dr. Lay had a thought for a moment.

“I’m not promising. But, I’ll try to be home earlier.” Dr. Lay hugged Hae Jin before he left.

“What should I do today?” she whispered to herself. Hae Jin ed her diary, jot down a list of groceries. She walked to her room, grabbed her bag, heading to the front door, wore her shoes, stepped outside, closed the door behind and went to the supermarket nearby.

 

Woke up so early in the morning made him gave out a big yawn. He stretched up all part of his body and took a quick shower. He kept smiling as if that day was his wedding day. Pulled out his best clothes from the wardrobe and got dress. Done dressing, he grabbed his wallet and car key. He headed to the front door before his mother suddenly stopped him.

“Where are you going? Come, let have breakfast with me.” Mrs. Wu pulled a chair next to her for Kris.

“I want to. But…” Mrs. Wu who was slicing her baked macaroni stopped and turned to Kris.

“Why? Do you have an appointment? After two months I have had my breakfast alone, can’t we just have a cup of coffee together?” Kris weakly took a sit next to his mum. Mrs. Wu gave Kris a slice of baked macaroni. She then smiled in satisfaction as Kris started to munch.

 

“How’s my family?” Joo Hyun gave a call to his follower.

“Mr. Baek, you’ve to be home immediately! Your wife died last month and now, we’re following Hae Jin. She’s not living with Yoo Ri anymore.” Joo Hyun was in between sadness and madness. He was mourned over Yoo Jin’s death and what made him became so mad was Hae Jin.

“Tomorrow, meet me at my office. I want a full detail on Hae Jin.” Joo Hyun angrily slammed the phone.

“How can she just leave the house? Her mother had just died. Can’t she just wait for me?”

 

He had knocked the door for hundred times. It seemed like there was no one to open the door for him to come in. Kris wandered around the villa. He saw the plants at the garden were dying.

“It’s weird. Hae Jin won’t let them die just like that.” His plan on surprising Hae Jin spoiled. Kris dialed up Hae Jin’s number.

“Hello?”The voice that always plead him to do what she wants, the voice that always melt him down, the voice that he miss so much, the voice of Hae Jin made Kris smiled.

“Hae Jin-ah~” Kris uttered her name.

“Kris!!!” Hae Jin shrieked. Kris pulled his phone away from his ear and shouted, “Hey! Can you stop screaming? By the way, where are you?” He managed to calm Hae Jin down.

“Mmm I’m not staying at our villa. I’ve moved to another house. Kris~ I’ve to tell you something about mum.” Her sad voice made Kris worry.

“Aunt Yoo Jin is fine, right? Just text me the place and time, I’ll meet you there okay? I promise.” Kris can’t wait anylonger to meet Hae Jin.

“I miss you, Kris. But, today isn’t the right time. Don’t worry, I’ll contact you soon. Kris, I’ve to go now. See you later!” Hae Jin hung the phone.

“Bye!” Kris slightly disappointed.

“How can she do this to me? Didn’t she know? I’m dying to miss her.” Kris had no choice but to drive back home.

 

“I’m home!” Dr. Lay stepped inside with a bouquet of flowers. He headed to the kitchen for Hae Jin. While passing the dining table, he stopped. The table was full of foods and candles.

“I’m here.” Hae Jin replied as she walked to him. Her appearance gave Dr. Lay double surprise. His mouth widely opened right after he saw Hae Jin in her white short lace dress with her hair neatly tied.

“Don’t stare at me. Does it look ugly on me?” Still have no reply from Dr. Lay. He shook his head and slowly lifted the bouquet and handed it to Hae Jin.

“Pretty, so pretty. As pretty as flower.” He smiled. Dr. Lay’s lips finally kissed on Hae Jin’s. Hae Jin lifted her hand to push him away, but he pulled her into his hug and locked her moves. Hae Jin sunk in Dr. Lay’s kisses. She’s now Dr. Lay’s official girlfriend.

 

“Where’s she?” Joo Hyun was burning.

“Sh… She’s living with a doctor, who had treated Mrs. Choi.” The man stuttered a reply.

“Who are his parents? His family? Tell me everything about him!” Joo Hyun blew up and none of his followers want to see him in this condition.

“He is an orphan and…” The man stopped as Joo Hyun shrieked, “An orphan?! Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? An orphan touched my daughter? Find that bastard and bring him to me, now!”He exploded and made his followers stormed out of his office.

“I hope this is just a dream. Once he had exploded, it will take months for him to cool down.” One of them whispered.

“Looks like this year we’ll get lots of curses. What a hoodoo.” The other one replied with a sigh.

“Hyung, what should we do now?” They turned their face to the leader.

“We have to bring the doctor to Mr. Baek or else.” The leader warned his boys. They left the building with a heavy duty.

Kris was the first one arrived at the café. He bought a cup of cappuccino for Hae Jin and a cup of Americano for himself. Though he knew Hae Jin will be late, he volunteered to come early and prepare the beverage for Hae Jin. He took a sit at the corner in the café. He started to imagine how Hae Jin would run to him excitedly and give him a huge hug. He giggled to his imagination. He can’t wait to tell Hae Jin about Joo Hyun. Finally, Hae Jin stepped into the café and turned around, searching for Kris. It’s a very unacceptable moment for Kris when he saw Hae Jin walked slowly to him and took a sit in front of him.

“So, how’re you doing?” her lame question was like throwing a stone to Kris’s head.

“Hae Jin-ah~ Are you okay? Where’s my Hae Jin who crazily shouted my name yesterday?” Kris placed his palm on Hae Jin’s forehead, but she pushed his hand away.

“I’m okay. What’s up?” Kris calmed himself and sipped his Americano.

“Where do you live now? How’s Aunt Yoo Jin?” His direct question killed the mood. It took a moment for Hae Jin to reply.

“Mum is dead. Aunt Yoo Ri left for hometown.” She lowered her head in sadness.

“What? When? Why didn’t you call me?” Kris can’t accept any facts uttered by Hae Jin.

“She died two weeks after you left. You left me alone, Kris. Me, myself, have to face the most difficult moment in my life alone. And how do you expect me to call you and tell you my mother died?” Hae Jin burst out. Kris had never wanted to leave Hae Jin. He did everything for Hae Jin’s happiness.

“I’m so sorry. I won’t let you down, I promise.” Kris convinced her.

“Where do you live now? Do you live alone?” He changed the topic.

“Do you remember the doctor who treated my mother?” Kris puzzled, tried to recall the day Yoo Jin was at the hospital.

“Dr. Lay?” He was not so sure.

“Yes, it’s him.” Kris shocked and disagreed.

“No way, he’s a stranger Hae Jin. How can you live with him?” Hae Jin boiled.

“Stranger? When you left me, he was the one who stay by my side and you call him a stranger? For your information, he’s now my boyfriend.” Hae Jin stood up and left. Kris froze in shock of Hae Jin’s last sentence.

“Who am I to you?” he whispered to himself. His heart had been torn into pieces. He sat there till the hot cappuccino became as cold as ice.

 

“What?! She lives with you?” Tao shrieked. Dr. Lay told Tao to calm down when the eyes around them were staring.

“What’s wrong with you? So what if she lives with me? She’s my girlfriend.” Dr. Lay defended himself.

“This is too much, Lay. I don’t know what you are trying to do. What I’m sure is, you’re insane!” Tao stood up and left Dr. Lay. At the entrance he bumped with a girl with a pair of pretty eyes. Tao’s eyes locked on her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” She apologized and entered the café. She’s like a magnet that pulled a metal, one step, two steps, Tao followed her. But, his steps stopped when the girl finally took a sit next to Dr. Lay.

“Sorry, I’m late. Where’s your friend? Has he left?” Hae Jin’s soft voice made Tao walked closer to her.

“Is this your Hae Jin?” Tao asked Dr. Lay with his eyes were still on Hae Jin. Both, Hae Jin and Dr. Lay stood up.

“Hae Jin, this is Tao and Tao, this is Hae Jin.” Tao lifted his hand to shake hand with Hae Jin. She bowed to Tao, didn’t want to shake his hand.

“Hye, I’m Hae Jin.”

 

“Kris~ Please open the door.” Mrs. Wu knocked the door. Kris curled under his comforter. Not wanting anyone to disturb him.

“Honey~ Are you okay?” Mrs. Wu didn’t give up.

“What is it?” Mr. Wu approached his wife.” Mrs. Wu explained that Kris came back home after dusk and slammed the door angrily.

“He had locked himself for hours and skipped dinner.” Mr. Wu pulled his wife gently.

“Let him be. Give him some space.” Heavily Mrs. Wu walked away with Mr. Wu.

“How can she do this to me? After all I have done for her, this is how she pay me?” Kris can’t accept the fact. Suddenly, his phone rang. Without knowing who was calling he answered.

“Hello?” Joo Hyun’s firm voice in the phone widened his eyes.

“Kris, can you meet me at the office?” Kris rushed out of his room.

“Yes, of course Mr. Baek. I’m on my way.”

 

“Is it true?” Joo Hyun sat at the opposite seat of Kris. He nodded.

“She told me about Dr. Lay when we met this afternoon.” Kris’ answer made Joo Hyun unsatisfied.

“And you let her go just like that? Don’t you love her?”Kris startled.

“H..How~” he stuttered.

“’How’ what? How I know you’re in love with my daughter? Wake up, Kris. Even a blind can see how much you love Hae Jin.” Kris froze after he got caught.

“So, what’s your plan?” Joo Hyun was serious.

“Plan? What plan?” Kris had no clue.

“Now, you’ve to follow my plan. I want you to get her back and about that bastard, let me handle him.” Kris sensed something bad going to happen.

“But, Hae Jin loves him. I don’t want to see her crying again.” He disagreed with Joo Hyun.

“That’s why I told you that I’ll handle Lay. I’ll force him to leave my daughter. You don’t have to worry. Just do as I tell you.” Kris knew this was wrong.

“Mr. Baek, what will you do to Dr. Lay?” Joo Hyun didn’t answer but smirked.