Chapter 4

I'm With You

“So who wants to tell me what is going on?” Ms. Kwon sat at her desk arms crossed, looking between Key and I for an answer. Ms. Kwon was a beautiful young teacher here in the academy. She was very short and very delicate, and students often agreed she was beautiful and cute. She always wore the latest and most professional clothing, and it suited her very well. She was a very talented lady, having had her time of fame and then deciding that she wanted to come back for the kids. A famous singer at the age of sixteen, and now here she sat in front of us at the ripe age of twenty seven. Although she was young and gentle looking, looks can be deceiving. She was actually very scary when she got angry, but she was always the type to maintain her composure when needed. Such as a time like this… Key wasn’t supposed to be here with me, he didn’t do a single thing, yet he insisted that he come.

‘Stop being a bother Jae.’

I tensed up, and Key noticed, grabbing a firm grip on my hand and began to speak. “They went out of line, first they push her around and call her names, assaulted her with snow balls, burn her shoes, and now this?! We may not have any proof that they do this, but I don’t care right now! I know they are the ones who defaced his picture and put it on her locker! Nobody should go this far to hurt someone!” I was thankful that Key was my voice at times like this.

“I understand that and it will be dealt with, but the problem here now Kibum, is that this is all coming from you and not Jaemi. I’m glad that you are there to support her and everything, but if JAemi has a problem she needs to confess about it. Unfortunately that’s the only way we can fix any of this.” Ms. Kwon was very fair to everyone and stuck up when things weren’t right, but she had a point. Key then proceeded to blow up and have to get excused from her office leaving us alone. “Jae, sweetheart, if there is something you have to say, say it”

“It’s nothing, I’m just stressed out and lost it” It was partly true. I had a lot of headaches as of late, and I was just being a baby about everything. Ms.Kwon came around the desk and sat beside me and held onto my hand, giving me a soft smile. I’ve known her since I could remember. Her and my brother had been very good friends and even dated each other. At first it was weird to have her here counseling me, but I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better person. I had already trusted her, just by seeing the way she was with my brother and how much they cared for each other.

“It’s been a year hasn’t it?” I nodded quietly as her grip tightened on my hand. I could see her tearing up as well… they were close... “You’ve grown up a lot” she smiled and my hair. “I know it’s been hard, and I can’t believe how much you’ve grown Jae. You’re so smart, talented, beautiful and strong… I promised him, that I’d take care of you… Please Jae, tell me everything. He was always moving forwards, never looking back, and I know he wants the same for you too.” I took a deep breath and started from the very beginning of these episodes, including the voice that had returned, while Ms. Kwon listened carefully.

*

Walking out of her office, Key embraced me and we just stood there quietly. Jessica ran past us crying her eyes out, her little possy following after her. “Rumour is that Donghae dumped her after he found out what she had done” I stared down the now empty corridor that had just been in. I could feel Key’s grip on me tighten as I heard a small polite “Excuse me”. Turning around I saw Tiffany, looking all nervous and sympathetic.

“L-look, what Jessica did was wrong. I just wanted to say I had no part in anything she did. I-I’m also really sorry for your loss… and I take back all the things I said about you… I’m sorry…” she bowed to Key and I, waiting patiently in that position for my verdict. A small smile crept up to my face as I let go of Key.

“You lost your mother right?” she slightly stiffened and nodded her head. “I’m sorry for your loss as well, besides we all try to fit in. It just takes a while to find the perfect fit” she smiled back at me. Key sighed and shook his head, a small smile on his lips. “You should go, before Jessica sees you talking to me” she shook her head with a smile on her face.

“I told her that I didn’t want to be friends anymore. That what she did was uncalled for and wrong.” Key smirked and placed his hand on his hip.

“Are you sure about this? You could end up being hunted like us” She was still smiling as she shook her head.

“She always judged the genuine, good people I befriended, and I was getting tired of doing things just to look good. Maybe me being friends with you guys will help ease the tension, after all I do know quite a bit about her” She told us with a wink.

“Well I guess that makes three of us at the bottom of the food chain huh?” Tiffany was still smiling genuinely and the three of us walked off together.

*

At lunches, we sat with a couple of Tiffany’s friends. I hadn’t been the best social butterfly, or either of those words to be honest, so I didn’t know half these people. Kim Taeyeon was this really nice girl,who shared one class with me, and beside her sat Lee Sunny, a fiery and cute girl I had only seen around. Seohyun was very polite and a year younger than I and across the table from her was Kyuhyun, a kid in my advanced Math class. He got smacked on the back of the head by a boy named Sungmin, who excused Kyuhyun for his rude manners. I could tell that Jessica was giving us her best hate stares, but the people at the table didn’t even care for her. They ignored her and sometimes even made fun of her.

 ‘Where do you fit in?’

“Jaemi?” I snapped back to reality

“Oh sorry, what?” everyone was giving me a bit of an odd stare.

“You totally zoned out there. Like weird glassy eye, I’m-being-possessed, zoned out” Kyuhyun got smacked on the back of the head again.

“Haha, sorry, Jessica is just making me feel a bit paranoid” I scratched the back of my head, with a nervous laugh.

“Okay well now that you’re back to earth, we need your input in this graduation party! We have a lot more things to plan and do now that there’s more than just me and you going to it.” Thank you Key for taking all the attention away from me, and possibly saving myself from embarrassment!