Chapter 2

I'm With You

Afternoons were the best part of my day being the fact that all my performing arts classes were in the afternoon. I loved singing and dancing, even if I wasn’t some protégée. It always started with vocal group warm ups and then we got to separate to practice. Of course not all students took that time to practice, some would even borrow a vocal booth to have a quickie or a nap. I’d lock myself in a room and practice singing until my phone would notify me for the next class. Then I’d be off to dance with everyone else that was in my group and we'd do choreography. I would often end the day with my two alternating classes, Musicology and Dance History 101.

That day, the main goal of our new project was to sing with emotion and to convey the meaning and intention of the song, but the song selection was so small it was guaranteed that two people will sing the same song. I just had to hope that it wasn’t anyone who had a strong distaste for me that would sing the same song. If I was lucky, I’d be able to pull off the song very well, that maybe they’d see me as someone other than awkward and secluded.

‘Who are you trying to kid? Stop trying’

My head started hurting a bit, so I decided to take break since it was almost the end of the class. In the afternoons, no one’s schedules were exactly alike. Some would have classes that ended early than others, and some would have more, but shorter, classes to attend to. I was on my way to the dance studio when someone harshly bumped into me and had taken my bag off my shoulder forcefully. I turned around to get it back and I realized it wasn’t just anyone who took my bag and it wasn’t just anyone she’d passed it to.

“Give it back! It’s not funny!” I was pissed off, that I was ready to cry.

“Aw, poor baby wants to cry! Grow up Jaemi!”  Yuri spat at me.

Stupid Queen Douches had decided to make my life even horrible after that incident with Donghae. They had my dance bag in custody and their boyfriends and their friends were playing keep away with me.

“Nothing happened! There’s nothing going on!” I cried as they threw the bag around.

“Hmph, right, like I’d believe that!” Jessica caught my bag and emptied it contents into the mud.

“No wonder why people call you the ice queen! You leave them before they can leave you! You insensitive and cold hearted !” I didn’t even expect that to come out of my mouth, but I felt like Jessica’s eyes turned red and seared with hatred. She took a lighter from one of the guys and popped off the top, pouring the nearly full lighter fluid on to my things and lit them on fire.

“Stop it!” I cried running towards my bag, stomping on it to extinguish the flames. I felt cold water splash at me and Jessica stooped down to my level and whispered into my ear, “Insensitive huh? You might want to  watch what you say”, and then walked away from me. Then I saw Donghae and a couple of his friends, who had just pushed through the crowd to see what had happened. Our eyes met, but all I heard was the snickering, the laughter, and the murmers. I got up and pushed my way through the crowd, crying and clutching on to what I had left.

‘You deserved that’

By the time I made it to Musicology, my teacher received a request that I go see the Director right away.

*

“Why were you late to class Jaemi?” it was never a good thing to have to report to director Kangta’s office.

“I couldn’t find my shoes” did I mention that he could read people really well?

“Why does something smell burnt? What is it?” I shifted my weight.

“I’m not sure Director” He stood up from behind his desk to come around and sit on it, right in front of me.

“Let me see your bag” hesitantly I gave it to him, and right when he opened it, he eyed me from his glasses. He put the bag on his desk, pulling out the contents, which were once my dance shoes. Looking at them for a while, he proceeded to put them down on the desk and looked at me expectantly. We both sat in silence, and he motioned to the bag and looked at me expectantly.

“I’m sorry” I couldn’t find my voice.

“Why are you apologizing?” I felt like this was a test.

“Because… I.. well I-“ he lifted his hand, gesturing me to stop.

“Get yourself some new shoes, and show up to class on time” I kept quiet, knowing that I won’t receive any sympathy. “Would you like to enlighten me on what happened this afternoon?” I stiffened. There was no way I could rat them out. They would get into trouble and then come after me in tenfold.

“It was my fault”

‘It’s always been.’

“Well if that is the case, you’ll have to clean up the courtyard on Saturday” I nodded my head in shame. “I believe it’d be best to meet with Ms.Kwon. You’re excused.” and with that I bowed and left his office.

After meeting with the Director my classes were done for the day and Key was right outside waiting for me. He filled me in on out new dance solo assignment, and how he almost ripped out Yuri’s extensions. “It’s painful to watch her try so hard and still do so terrible” she’d always make fun of everyone beneath her, yet for some reason she found me interesting. I’d often have to drag Key away, because that’s when his claws would come out. He was still upset that he was held back in the corridor by Kim Jonghyun that he didn’t get to come to my rescue.