Chapter 16

I'm With You

“Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae, we are ready for you”

Audition day came, and Ms. Kwon was currently calling out the names of the next auditioner. I gave him a kiss on the cheek as a good luck, as everyone wished them luck and watched them enter the audition studio. We all were waiting patiently and nervously in the long hallway crammed with everyone else who was auditioning. Key and his group, Sungmin and Kyuhyun had already gone, and had been told they’d be in the showcase, but instead of going out to celebrate they stayed with us, saying we could all go have fun afterwards.

We were all silent, running over our routines in our heads, and trying to think of things to fix. We all had our game faces on and before we knew it Eunhyuk and Donghae emerged from the room and the next group was called out.

“How’d it go?” he avoided my eyes and then looked at me with a big smile. “You made it?!” he nodded and I jumped him and hugged him. Everyone congratulated them and expressed our joy, when the audition doors opened and a couple girls from Jessica’s possey rushed out angry or crying. Ms. Kwon called out for Taeyeon’s group, and as we all finished wishing Tiffany’s group good luck, Donghae plopped down beside me sweaty and tired. He took my hand in his and it comfortingly as I popped my headphones back in my ears, going over my song. Taeyeon busted out with the biggest smile on her face and they rushed over giggling and rejoicing with the rest of us.

“Jung Jaemi, we are ready for you” We all stopped, and I swallowed, my nerves going off the charts. Everyone wished me good luck and Donghae walked me to the door. “Ready Jaemi?” Ms. Kwon gave me her comforting smile, and I nodded. I looked at Donghae and smiled, and then I saw Jessica in the corner rolling her eyes at us. Donghae noticed and cupped my face in both hands and gave me a chaste kiss on my lips.

“Go rock their world babe”

*

“She’s done!” Sunny yelled seeing me walk out of the room.

“What took so long?” Taeyeon was worried something happened.

“Well?!” Key urged.

“I’ll be seeing all of you es at final show case” I smiled and everyone broke out into celebration, happy we all made it through!

“Let’s go celebrate!” Leeteuk suggested, and then a flood of suggestions of what everyone wanted to eat came. We all agreed to go and get changed out of our performance outfits and then meet up at the parking lot for some fried chicken.

“Meet me at my locker?” I was full of confidence and gave him a peck on the lips and walked to my locker, leaving behind everyone’s giggles and teases towards Donghae.

*

“Look I’m only doing this because stupid Ms. Kwon is making me” Jessica handed me a letter. She had been seeing Ms. Kwon because of our incident, and Director Kangta thought it would be appropriate for her to learn how to exert her frustration differently. I silently took it from her, staring at the envelope as she walked to her locker down the hall. I opened it and pulled out a letter, it was an apology letter, and at times seemed sincere but then could be taken as a sarcastic remark. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Donghae standing there with a bright smile.

“Ready?” he leaned on the locker beside me.

“Almost” I was about to shove the letter in my locker, but he decided to fool around and wrap his arms around me and swing me around.

“What you got there?” he asked, putting me down and pecking me on the cheek.

“An apology letter from Jessica” he looked just as amused as I did at the thought of Jessica apologizing.

“I think there’s something else in the envelope” he wrapped his arms around me again, standing behind me and resting his head on my shoulder. I looked in the enveloped and pulled out a picture, both of our eyes widening as we looked at it. Donghae was kissing Jessica, and it was recent. Donghae had recently dyed his hair a blondish colour for the auditions. The picture looked like it was taken from a bush, because of the giant blurred green leaf at the top right corner. His grip around me loosed as I turned around to look at him.

“Donghae…?” I looked into his eyes, which were looking directly into mine.

“This meant nothing” tears were at the edge of my eyes. I looked down at the picture again, it was no doubt real and he confirmed it. “I swear it was nothing. I had one drink to many and it just happened. I left right after and felt horrible”

“Why did you hide it from me?” He looked helpless

“I didn’t want you to get mad. It meant nothing” He tried to wrap his arms around me.

“if it meant nothing, why did you hide it from me? Why didn’t you just come clean? Haven’t all you’ve been doing is working and practicing? Where could you have been to have gotten drunk?” I took a step back away from him.

“Jae please, let me explain” He came closer to me.

“Please Donghae, explain to her. Tell her how you almost ruined my life” Jessica interrupted us, standing there on one hip, completely serious. “That night I almost got pregnant. I just thought you should know what kind of a guy you’re dealing with here Jaemi. I’m not trying to hurt you, I’m just making you realize that this isn’t the fairy tale you are looking for” Tears spilled over at that point, and I couldn’t look him in the eyes. If it weren’t true why wasn’t he defending himself?

“Why…?” He wasn’t looking at me anymore. He just looked shocked and startled at her words.

“Jae please… hear me out, I had a little too much to drink-”

“Drunk words are sober thoughts” Jessica chimed in walking past us and turning down the next hallway.

“I need to go.” I quickly took whatever I needed from my locker in haste.

“J.J., please…” I snapped my head towards him furious.

“please what Donghae?!” I didn’t mean for it to come out so harsh, but at that point I needed to run away and cry somewhere preferably where no one would see me. “I’m sorry… I just… I need space” and with that I left him there calling out my name.

*

You have eight new messages. First message.

YAH! Pick up your phone!

Second message.

Jaemi, it’s Tiffany. Where are you? Please answer the phone…

Third message

Jaemi, we’ve been looking everywhere for you. At least call us to let us know you’re alright. It’s Taeyeon by the way.

Fourth message.

PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE JUNG JAEMI.

Fifth message.

Honey, your dad and I are worried. Please call us.

Sixth message.

Hey, it’s Eunhyuk. Just hear him out… Everyone is really worried about you.

Seventh message.

YAH JUNG JAEMI! IF YOU DON’T PICK UP THIS PHONE RIGHT NOW I SWEAR WHEN I FIND YOU, YOU’LL NEVER GET TO SEE DAYLIGHT AGAIN!!!!

Eighth message.

Jae… I’m sorry… Please… I didn’t mean for any of it to happen… I’m so sorry… Please just let me know where you are?