The Girl with the Golden Voice part 1

Haunted House on Strawberry Hill Street: The Girl with the Golden Voice

Please Comment I want to know what moments you like!

 

The Girl with the Golden Voice

(part one)

 

Monday 4:00 am

            Chinen tumbled across his king size bed filled with black and yellow sheets. He smiled happily as he snuggled against his giant stuff toy, it was a fluffy hornet.  He rolled against the sheets and smiled.  He continued to roll and roll and roll until ----- he fell off the bed with a thud.  His bee alarm clock was ringing wildly as he tried to get up. He turned it off by hitting its wings. His hair rose up in spikes making him look like a rooster. He groggily rubbed his eyes as he stretched out his arms and let out a large yawn. 

He smiled brightly again at his black and yellow room. He was particularly fond of bees so his room where decorated with fat bees. Hornet stuff toys decked the shelves of his room where books should be stored; his trunks were filled with bee merchandise. He grinned from ear to ear as he stood up and made his bed. In his cute bee printed yellow pajamas he went straight to his bathroom to take a bath. His bathroom was also filled with bees; the color yellow was predominant all over the tiles of the bathroom. He quickly got into the shower straightforwardly ignoring the tub, since he took forever to bathe if he used the tub. He loved playing with the bubbles whenever he used the tub.  All his toiletries were lemon scented with a hit of musk. He took his bath humming the song Magic Power after he finished his bath he went into his walk in closet and took out his well ironed school uniform. His okasan had ironed it herself; he quickly put it on and inspected himself. He smiled as he saw his attire. It was a brand new uniform since his parents transferred him to a new school. He had previously attended a private school in Europe with his siblings and cousins, but since the current turnover of responsibilities to his father and aunt they were to study in Japan instead. His new uniform was similar to his old uniform, it was a blazer, vest and tie combo all of which were navy blue colored. He wore a cotton long sleeve underneath the vest. His mother went overboard with his uniform as usual opting for expensive materials to make his simple uniform. He was sure people’s head would turn to his direction.

              “Akanishi Yuri you are ready for school.” He said to himself happily after looking over the floor length mirror once more.

         He walked out of his room making sure it was clean and walked towards the kitchen. He passed by his brother Yamada’s room, he sneered as he eyed the giant strawberry hanging from his door. His older brother by a year who was so obsessed with strawberries that he had his whole room painted red! He also has his extensive collection of strawberry shortcake merchandise, as well as things that had strawberries on it. There was not a day when he did not fight with Yama-chan, he just couldn’t stand his messy brother sometimes! All he did was eat and he never did his chores properly, plus he was a hot head who gets angry easily. He ran to Yama-chan’s door and started knocking at it loudly. He ran away because he knew Yamada would fry him if he was caught. He turned around the corner where his older brother’s rooms were located. To his left was his brother Keito’s room, who was the good son, always the responsible one. He had a simple green leaf hanging from his room with his name engraved in gold.

            His Keito-nisan had always been the one he depended on ever since he was a child. It was his Nisan who helped him with his home works when his parents were on duty, his parents were doctors. It was also his Nisan who always attended his school activities such as sports events and school plays. It was safe to say that Chinen was closest to him compared to all his siblings. His brother Keito-nisan was fond of the color green and he loved listening to the sounds of nature. He had a habit of meditating a lot during their elementary years. He remembered bothering his nisan whenever he meditated in the classroom. His onisan was a two levels advance than him so while Chinen was still in senior high his nisan was already a freshman in college student.

           The room to his right belonged to his eldest brother Yuya. When it comes to Yuya he has nothing to say, primarily because of the fact that his brother spends more time asleep than awake. He is a kind brother who has a lot of cons; he sleeps a lot and is incredibly lazy! Incredibly lazy!  He is fun to talk to at times but mostly he fall asleep while you are talking. He is actually extremely intelligent and has inherited their grandfather’s laboratory, his life is basically science work (only God knows what he is doing), eat and sleep.

He is fond of the color purple and would love anything that has purple on it. He also has the habit of walking around in his jammies. It was a miracle for them that his onisan passed senior high, since he sleeps a lot in class and would often get scolded by the teachers.

He stopped when he reached the end of the hallway and faced another one. It was the main hallway that led to his parent’s rooms and to that of his little sister’s room.

              His little sister Seohyun was the family’s baby, after having four boys his parents were about to give up all hope on having a girl. When Seohyun came, his parents and well as them were ecstatic; she was pampered and spoiled to death. Everything that Seohyun wanted she got, he and his brother’s often compete for her attention, it was amazing though how she became independent instead of dependent. She has a kind heart towards others and she lives by strict standards that she herself had made. She is an intelligent and caring child who knew well how to take care of the people she loves. He chortled as he saw the keroro stuff toy hanging from her bedroom door. His little sister was obsessed with keroro she was also a health freak and loves to eat sweet potatoes.

           His parents were not the typical couple mainly because of the fact that his mother is actually a man who can turn into a woman. How it happened they didn’t actually know, his okasan (mother) hates to talk about it. His father is also tight lipped about it. His mother is a beautiful woman with wavy deep brown hair that reaches past her waist, her eyes used to be chocolate brown but ever since he/she became one of them after his eldest brother’s birth it changed into a seriously dark purple. She was a super obsessive mother when in female form while his male form is something they rarely see. His okasan rarely cooked because she at cooking, her culinary creations look like food from hell. Her cooking skill is her only flaw the rest of her abilities is spotless. Her traits include being extremely organized, a clean freak and very intelligent. She is the best female doctor in Japan.

               His otosan (father) is his okasan’s exact opposite; he is messy and disorganized a playboy though he tries hard to hide it because his wife will kill him if he was ever caught. Though his otosan has a lot of flaws he makes up for it by being the best dad he could be. He is a responsible man when it comes to family and business, outside that circle he flops.

            His parents sleep in separate bedrooms since his father sleeps like he is the only person in the bed. His arms and legs would be all over the place! His okasan used to tie him up so he couldn’t move, but a decade of being tied up his father finally spoke up his grievances. The result was not pretty; his otosan was banned from his okasan’s bedroom.

 

             Chinen reached the kitchen and spotted their floating chef, Chef Pierre Dumount. He is a ghost who used to be the personal chef of King Louis IV.  Chef Pierre was a poltergeist who used to haunt the French king’s palace until his grandfather Alexander took him in. Chef Pierre floated around the kitchen; Chinen could see what he was dishing up. The chef was transparent. He was a kind and very jolly chef who loved telling stories about food, just ignore his bloody head and body. Chef Pierre did not die a peaceful death since he was accused of trying to poison the king.

            “Good morning young master!” Chef Pierre greeted happily, his years serving the family rid him of his anger towards people. All he ever wanted was to serve good food to people.

              “Good morning chef!” Chinen greeted back as he took a scrumptious toast covered with cream cheese. He ate the toast and drank the milk that Chef gave him. He stood up with his toast in one hand, his milk in another and headed for the back door.

              “Going out to the garden again Yuri-chan.” Chef inquired while making another cheese omelette. Chinen nodded and dashed towards the garden. He caught a glimpse of their ever diligent gardeners who were elves heralded by the head gardener who was a ghost, he was the old gardener of Queen Victoria.

             Chinen hurriedly ate his toast then helped the elves tend their garden. He loved being in the garden, he watered each strawberry bush and went inside his mother’s green house where unique plants grew. By unique, it is meant as in not your typical garden, from man eating plants to dangerous poison flowers. Name a dangerous plant and they have it. His family uses these plants to create weapons for fighting deranged super naturals who bothered the balance of things. His family are known as Keepers, they keep the peace of the two worlds that coexist with each other.

 

             After finishing his garden hobby he went to the house and washed his hands before joining his family in the dining room. The whole house had its own life and it loves to show what feelings it had for the day. He stepped into a room that breathes of autumn. The whole carpet was like the forest floor covered with leaves while the walls changed into a mural of the woods in autumn. He got fuzzy feelings after entering the room, he loved autumn best! His family was seated around the long dining table, his parents on opposite ends while his siblings were in between.

          Yama-chan was gorging on cereal like there was no tomorrow while stuffing his plate with pancakes and omelet. Keito-nisan was eating his omelet while he read his daily planner; Yuya-nisan was painstakingly eating his food while trying to fight sleepiness. Seobaby was happily eating her oatmeal as she talked about the news with their mother. His otosan was busy signing documents whose deadlines were today, his secretary who happened to be a vampire helped him with the mess. His okasan was busy checking out the super natural daily newspaper while her assistant who was a witch told her of her schedule for the day.

They all greeted Chinen energetically except Yuya, as he took his place beside his okasan. He filled his plate with omelet and sausages while their ghost maid handed him a bowl of rice. Most of the servants around the house were ghost while their guards and those who worked outside of the house were other type of super natural.

            After breakfast Chinen got into their limo as he and his siblings headed to their new schools. Seobaby took out the planner she had made for him and handed him his class schedule. Their personal bodyguards who were ghost followed them. They were all poltergeist since it was easier for ghost to roam around the campus that for werewolves or other type of creature. Werewolves needed disguises while ghosts could just float around unnoticed. They reached a Shinkyoku High School which was a high school for boys and girls.

            All of them smiled at each other and mouthed good luck. Chinen really needed it since he found it hard to blend in with humans. It was not that he wanted to eat them or anything, humans weren’t edible in his eyes, it was just the fact that he loved being with the undead so much that he didn’t like their company. It also didn’t help that he could read their minds; he and his family had this ability even before they were born. Humans unlike them could not shield their minds so it was practically open for reading. He hated how people judged them for how they dressed and of course he hated how people tend to fantasize about them.

         “Humans.” He muttered under his breath. He was on his way to the building where his classroom was located when a girl accidentally bumped into him. He tried to read her mind but was shocked when it came out semi-blocked all he could read were things that she wanted him to read. The girl dropped her belongings so he helped her pick it up. He was a raised as a gentleman after all. He grinned when he saw the profusion of yellow things all over the ground. There was Tweety bird pens, notebooks and even a little Tweety doll. She also had a lot of sun stamped things. He was able to see each and every item properly because his senses were very acute especially when he was paying attention. He had super senses but he tends to block it since it is a nuisance on his part to hear and see everything. It would drive him nuts if he had to listen to the sounds made by small insects as they crawled, the movement of the leaves etc.

They finished picking up the girl’s things when she stood up and smiled at him. Her smile was like the sunshine on a stormy day. She had golden blonde hair and pretty brown eyes. She bowed to him and was about to introduce herself when a guy called her. She apologized and said her thanks he in turn smiled back at her and bowed.

             “Miss Sunshine.” He said in a barely audible voice.

 

            He was about to enter his building when he heard the shout of a girl for help. He searched for its source and found a group of male students bullying a girl. He ran towards them and yelled at them to stop. They sneered at him. Bullies! he hated bullies. They were about to attack him when a school teacher came (this is actually one of his ghost bodyguards copying a teacher) they ran in fright. He approached the poor girl who could barely stand because of fear. She was frail and thin; she had bubbly eyes and really pale almost sickly complexion, the bullies wrote ugly, skeleton and other insults on her things. He carefully kneeled in front of the girl.

           “Are you ok Miss?” he asked. She fought back the tears, biting her lips as she did so. She was cute he thought.

              “Can you stand?” he asked her. The poor girl tried but could barely move an inch. He read her thoughts and saw fear and desperation. Without having second thoughts he carried the poor girl and searched for the school clinic. He walked around the building hoping to find it but when he reached it, it was still close. The girl cried as he carried her, all her suppressed tears came flooding out. He saw glimpses of her past her memories of being bullied for how she looked. He pitied her and at the same time he wished he could make her feel better.

             “You can put me down now senpai.” she said. He put her down and she bowed 90 degrees to show her gratitude towards him.

               “Thank you senpai.” She said to him.

               “It’s nothing. I am Yuri by the way but my friends call me Chinen.” He told her as he held out his hand for a shake. She stared at it for a moment not believing that he actually wanted to get to know her, after thinking for almost 10 seconds she took it.

               “Nice to meet you Chinen senpai I am Melody by the way.” She told him brightly. He and Melody chatted under a tree where he learned from and not from her mind that she transferred to this school two years ago during middle school. Students weren’t actually friendly with her. They talked about her likes and Chinen found it entertaining and homey to talk to her. She was freshman while he was a senior. They talked about school and she told him all she knew about the campus. The bell rang and they left to go to their respective classes but before they parted Chinen happily hugged her and patted her head.

                  “Let’s be friends ok Mel?” he said happily. She smiled and answered.

                   “Ok senpai let’s be friends!”

            He had exchanged phone numbers with her earlier so they could send each other text messages. He walked through the hallway looking for his classroom when he found it Class 3-A. As he entered the room all eyes were on him. He could read the minds of the girls in the class; they were all thinking about how handsome he was, if he had a girlfriend, same old boring human stuff. The guys on the other hand were talking about his uniform, rich kid they said in their minds. He read a lot of things about him, the guys where dead jealous while the girls wanted to pounce on him.

            He was seriously tired of all this human crap! At least he had a friend he told himself. The girls all shoved each other as he tried to get a seat. He was really annoyed when he heard a different thought coming from a girl.

            “It’s the guy from this morning.” The girl thought.

            He turned to look at the owner of that thought and he saw Miss Sunshine. The teacher entered and saw the commotion she gently pulled Chinen beside her and told the class to be quiet and return to their seats. Apparently his parents had donated a large sum of cash to this school. He read it from the teacher’s mind. He had the feeling that he was about to become the class favorite. The teacher rapped her ruler against the board and the class settled down. The teacher introduced him.

            “Now class we have a new student. He is from France and he has recently transferred here to Japan.” The teacher said full of praise. The girl squealed in response, and then they hushed down when he introduced himself.

            “Hello everyone I am Akanishi Yuri. It’s a pleasure to meet all of you.” He said as he flashed

his cute boy grin. The girls all died! They started gushing about him in their seats while the boys sneered. Who wouldn’t feel jealous once they hear that surname? They own practically the best hospitals in Japan.

            “Ok class settle down now Akanishi-kun find a seat that you like.” The teacher said. He scoured the room and found the perfect seat next to the window where he could enjoy the view. He sat down and the girl beside him started hyperventilating. The class started but the girls still kept on gawking at him when they have a chance, the girl beside him was about to die.  He kept his eyes fixed on the lesson. He answered the questions like a good student; the boys tried to imitate him in hopes of gaining favor but disastrously failed.

            He realized there was one girl who wasn’t hyperventilating about him and turned to his side where he saw Miss Sunshine next to a boy who was a bit taller than him. He turned back his attention towards the teacher when the principal came in and inspected the class. His brother Yamachan was having the same difficulty as he was he hoped. His older brother belonged to a different school. A school he chose because their uniform was pink! He eyed the room and realized that there were also good looking boys in the room. Good looking for humans, too bad they could never measure up to him after all they are human. How he hoped that he wasn’t the only Akanishi in this room. He started reading the thoughts of his classmates to buy his time. He found out that Miss Sunshine had a boyfriend, he was the guy sitting beside her, and his name was Sungmin. He also found out that Miss Sunshine’s name was Soonkyu but she preferred to be called Sunny.  They were half Koreans which explained their names. He wasn’t actually into girls, particularly human girls; he preferred dating the super naturals, though he messed up a couple of times. The other super naturals had a law called bonding or mates or pairs whatever you want to call it. His first love was a vampire named Misa they dated for three years, he thought she was the one then she found her mate and left him without notice. Another girlfriend of his was a werewolf she too left him like Misa but atleast Agnes that was her name said goodbye and apologized. After that he dated a few more girls but he never actually took them seriously unlike the two. His last girlfriend was also a vampire but he broke up with her after they moved back to study in Japan.

            The first half of the class was boring the teacher kept on talking about concepts but only he and surprisingly miss sunshine was listening. Soon it was time for lunch break. He was about to leave the class room when his phone vibrated, his female classmates all swooned over him. He saw who was the caller and picked it up. It was his sister calling.

            “Seobaby!” he said brightly as he left the classroom, girls were following him. Seohyun could not eat lunch with him because she had a task to do the library school stuff as usual.

            “Aw! Ok Seobaby but promise you will eat lunch with onisan tomorrow ok?” he told her. He heard the relaxed thoughts of his female classmates when they realized that his caller was his sister. He needed to get away from all this human drama. He could still feel the boys looking at him annoyed.

           

 

            He went to the rooftop where Melody said she was at. He saw her eating her lunch alone so he waved at her happily. Melody waved back at him and beckoned him to sit beside her in her little picnic clothe. She had her lunch here because she was always bullied in the cafeteria. He sat beside her and took out his lunch and they shared it together.

            “Mel here you can have this.” He said as he placed a large slice of meat into her bento. They sat next to each other as they ate their lunch. He laughed as he saw Melody’s messy cheeks, she ate like Yama-chan. She pouted at him cutely so he pinched her cheeks. He took out his handkerchief and wiped the sauce on her cheeks. She blushed in embarrassment. He shared his lemon merengue cake with her, as they ate they spoke about their classes.

            “How was your first class senpai?”She asked while nibbling at the cake.

            “It was fine, no it was sort of boring.” He told her.

            They laughed about school rules and a few other things. He played the song Your Seed and was amazed when Melody sang along with a very pretty voice.

            “Your good! You have a pretty voice.” He told her.

            “That’s a lie; people say that I have a horrible voice.” Melody replied sadly tearing up again.

            “Well they must be deaf or have some ear problems.” He told her as he ruffled her hair.

            “I joined a singing contest once.” She said sighing.

            “So did you win?” he asked her as he stared at the sky. He thought it would be nice to sleep in the clouds.

            “No, another girl who was very pretty won.” She said as she looked up at the sky too.

            “Hey senpai are you anyway related to a girl named Seohyun?” she asked him out of the blue.

            “Yes why? She’s my little sister are you in the same class?” he asked as he laid down on the picnic clothe.

            “Wow that’s why she is very pretty, like an angel. All the freshman boys want to be her friend. We are not classmates though she’s from Class A I’m from Class B.”

            He started humming a tune then later on sang it and encouraged Melody to sing along. They sang gaily in the rooftop until the bell rang. They parted ways afterwards.

 

 

            The class was noisy as usual when Chinen entered and sat in his seat. One of the girls summed up the courage to talk to him and gingerly approached him.

            “Akanishi-kun do you have a girl friend?” she asked him shyly. He admired her courage so he decided to be nice to her.

            “No I don’t.” he answered her then gave her one of his angelic smile. The girl fainted in happiness. He knelt beside her all the girls screamed.

            “Are you alright?” he asked her as he tried to help her regain her consciousness. She hugged him as soon as she opened her eyes. The other girls charged at her in outrage.  Chinen assessing the situation smiled at them and they melted at his gaze. 

            One of the boys stood up and bluntly asked him.

            “That’s a surprise Akanishi-kun with a face like yours. Don’t tell me you don’t know how to get a girl?” the guy said he realized that this boy was one of Sungmin’s friends.

            “I had one just a few weeks ago but since I moved to Japan it would be a hassle to have a long distance relationship.” He answered as politely as he could.

            “Would you consider dating again Akanishi-kun?” a slender girl asked as she fluttered her eyelids.

            “I might.” He said simply as he smiled.

            “Akanishi-kun what type of girl do you like?” asked a pretty girl with bubble eyes.

            “I like simple girls, who are kind and caring towards others.” He said simply as he added that she had to be one of the children of the night in his head. The girls started swooning again.  The science teacher entered and they settled down. She discussed about the lesson of the day about gravitational force and concepts on motion. Before she dismissed the class she announced that they were to make a project in pairs. The whole class became hyped at the thought of the project, the girls were anxious as to who would be his partner. She passed down the aisle holding a box with papers that had numbers on it, the person who got the same number as you would be your partner.

            “Ok so I will start checking your numbers come forward as I call your name.” the teacher said. Chinen went to the teacher as soon as his name was called. He got the number 9. After showing it to the teacher he went back to his seat. The teacher announced the pairs the girls were sad when they were paired with someone else and not him. The guys were happy.

            “Akanishi-kun your partner will be Miss Lee.” The teacher told him suddenly a guy shouted.

            “What! Sensei please reconsider!” the guy said.

            “What’s the matter Mr. Lee don’t you trust your girlfriend?” the teacher asked in an annoyed tone.

            Sungmin was speechless. Seriously he thought does he look like a guy who would steal someone else’s girlfriend? Humans he thought again annoyed. The class ended and Ms. Sunshine approached him.

            “Akanishi-kun. Do you mind if I ask for your number? It’s for the project.” She said.

            “Oh no not at all.” He said as he gave her his number. Sungmin was glaring at him. Please he thought I have dated girls prettier than your girlfriend.

 

            He waved at his sister who was followed by boys. He glared at them and they cowered in fear and walked away. His classmates were staring at them. He waved at his cousins too Sooyoung and Yoona looked stunning as usual. The boys were all drooling.

            “Onichan!” Seohyun greeted him.

            “Oppa!” Yoona and Sooyoung said in chorus.

            They felt the eyes of almost all the students in campus on them. Their limo parked at the gate making the students gasp in awe. Yamada stepped out and waved at them.

            “Yama-chan how was school?” he teased.  The female students all swooned and started screaming. 

            “It ! Especially since Seororo wasn’t there!” Yamada whined.

            “Let’s go Oppas I still have to visit my horror shop.” Sooyoung said happily. They all followed and got into the limo laughing and joking. The students gawked at them as the limo went away. Another story of how the undead captured the hearts of humans had been written yet again Chinen thought sarcastically.

            Another day has ended. On his mind he thought at least school would be fun because he had a new friend. He had to think of a way to help Melody; she had the talent if only she would acknowledge it.

            “The girl with the golden voice who refuse to sing.” He said aloud.

            “Who’s that nichan?” Seohyun asked cutely.

            “She is Onichan’s new friend Seobaby.” He answered her as he pinched her cheeks.

            “Oppa has a friend?” Yoona asked cutely. Chinen pinched both her cheeks as he nodded.

            “A human one?” Sooyoung asked but she ducked before he could pinch her.

            “You? HA! Unbelievable!” Yamada said as he laughed loudly.

            “Unlike you I know how to socialize!” He said in irritation.

            “What did you say dwarf?!!” Yamada yelled at him.

            “You don’t know how to socialize PIG!” Chinen yelled back at him.  Yoona and Sooyoung laughed at them  while Seohyun tried to make them stop.

            The limo spend away with two young undead bickering over who has more humans friends among them. Ironic isn’t it?