The Girl with the Golden Voice part 3

Haunted House on Strawberry Hill Street: The Girl with the Golden Voice

           Hi guys I'm back! Who is your fave character in the story? Comment and subscribe! :D

The Girl with the Golden Voice

(Part Three)

         Melody sunk back into her bed with a lengthy groan. She had lived more than half her life in this bedroom one would think that she has gotten used to it. Things never did change for her, one look at her room and she wished she had never awoken. Her room was a mixture of two colors namely bubblegum pink and canary yellow. Her whole room was filled with ducks, from duck stuff toys to duck bed sheets and bed covers. Even her furniture had something ducky about them! She heard the distinctive sound of her alarm, the sound of a quaking duck. She wanted to smash that annoying duck alarm and throw all the contents of her room out! She was afraid of ducks but unfortunately her late father loved them, so when her dear uncle took her in at a young age of 6, after parents died in a car crash he thought she loved ducks too. She had grown to hate ducks when her father’s pet duck chased her all over the house when she was 3. Up until now she never had the courage to tell her uncle that she hated ducks as a result all of her things had ducks on it.

            She finally got out of bed and shuddered at her pink duck print pajamas. Her cousin who practically raised her bought it for her last summer. Tiffany oneechan loved the color pink as a result she always bought pink things for her. After her parents died her mother’s older brother took her in. Her uncle Masuda was a busy man so she was left in the care of her older cousin Tiffany and her older brother Inoo onisan. She went to her bathroom with a heavy heart. Her bathroom like her room was filled with ducks. She hurriedly took her bath and heard a familiar voice echo in her room.

            “Mel-chan I bought a bag from the mall yesterday and I thought it would look good on you.” Her Tiffany-neechan told her. “Hurry up so you can have a proper breakfast!” she heard her say as her bedroom door closed.

           “Please let there not be ducks on the bag.” She prayed silently and got out of the shower to put on her uniform. She eyed the bag and sighed with relief when she saw that it was a bag fit for a teenager not for a girl. She inspected it and smiled it was pink as usual hot pink to be exact.

            “At least it’s not a duck.” She said as she fixed her bed and went downstairs.

            The whole house was normal looking except for the kitchen which was painted pink. Her Tiffany-neechan had her back on her and flipped a pancake into the air. She was thankful that her neechan knew how to cook or else they would all starve. She had ebony black hair that fell down in waves to her waist. It was tied in a ponytail today. She wore a pink dress that reached her knees and over it a strawberry printed apron.

            “Good morining neechan!” she greeted jubilantly receiving one of her cousin’s famous eye smile. She always wondered why they were related she herself wasn’t pretty just your average girl while her cousin was very beautiful. Maybe they got it from their mother side she thought since her uncle was not also handsome. Her neechan made blueberry pancakes for breakfast; there was also toast and sausages. She took her usual spot on the round dining table and poured herself some orange juice while her neechan placed three huge pancakes on her plate. She topped it off with a slice of butter and maple syrup.

            “Finish that ok.” Her neechan told her as she went back to making pancakes. Her cousin Inoo entered the kitchen and gave a kiss on the cheek to her neechan while he gave her a big suffocating hug.

            “Onichan!” she whined as he messed with her hair and took his seat beside her. He piled his plate with sausages and toast while her neechan gave him two pieces of pancake.

            “Hey ducky do you have plans today?” he asked her as he ate a whole sausage.

            “I’m hanging out with my friend today after school.” She said then she realized her mistake. Drat they didn’t know that she was being bullied in school. She saw her Tiffany-neechan’s eyebrow come together in frustration while her Inoo-nichan stared at her.

            “I thought you said you had lots of friends?” her neechan said. She gulped and ate a huge piece of pancake.

            “HGfsfgeuujttd.” She said with mouth full. Her uncle entered the room she kissed his cheek and he took his seat in front of her. He unfolded his napkin and beckoned his daughter to join them.

            “Moppet don’t talk when your mouth is full.” Her uncle scolded her. Tiffany-neechan took her seat next to Melody and poured her uncle some coffee.

            “No one is bothering you at school right?” her Inoo-nichan asked her while he eyed her worriedly.

            “No of course not!” she said too defensive.

            “Are you sure?” her neechan asked her. She nodded she couldn’t tell them the truth she didn’t want them to worry about her.

            “So what are you doing after school?” her uncle asked her.

            “Just hanging out with friends.” She said.

            “I thought you said friend.” her nichan accused as he and his sister eyed each other.

            “Hehe I forgot the s.” she said cheerfully hoping they wouldn’t get too suspicious.

            They decided to let the issue drop and after she had eaten she rode with her family to school. Her Inoo-nichan gave her another hug, her neechan gave her a kiss and she gave a peck on her uncle’s cheek as she got of the car to school. She braced herself for another day of bullying. As soon as she stepped into the gates students looked at her and started teasing her. She tried to ignore them but they were really bothersome. In her haste to get to her classroom she accidentally bumped into a girl. The girl dropped her things and started picking it up. She apologized deeply and looked up to see the freshman angel Akanishi Seohyun telling her that it’s fine. She helped her pick up all her things and apologized once more. Seohyun bid goodbye and went to her classroom.

           

Little did Melody know that her Tiffany-neechan followed her and realized the truth that she was being bullied in school. Tiffany took out her phone and called her brother as she walked out of the school unnoticed until she bumped into a guy wearing a pink scarf. She apologized and hurriedly left even though the guy called after her. She got out of the school and met with her brother at a café before heading to her school.

“Nichan students were bullying her!” she cried out as she shed tears at the realization that Melody was suffering. She had always treasured that chubby cousin of her as if she was her baby so knowing that people made her miserable angered her.

“We have to do something.” Her brother Inoo told her as he examined himself in the mirror. In her frustration she hit him with the menu.

            “Onichan this is not the time for you to admire yourself!” she yelled at him.

            “Looking at my face gives me ideas!” he argued staring at his reflection yet again. Tiffany rolled her eyes at him and took the menu and started hitting him again. He yelped in pain while he received the beatings.

            “Ow will you stop it I have found a solution.” He said under her attacks. She stopped hitting him and listened. “How about you transfer to her school?”

            “That sounds plausible. Alright then I’ll transfer!” she said. Relief was evident on her face as they bid farewell to each other.After their meeting she went to her school. It was an art school known for its distinctive pink uniform. The Shoujo Sakura High that was the name of her school, she would miss this school she thought but she knew that Melody needed her.

 

            Melody eagerly went to the rooftop where Chinen-senpai waited for her. She reached it and found it empty. She searched the place and was startled when Chinen-senpai came behind her and grabbed her waist. He pulled her close and his face was just inches from her face and his lips just 3 centimeters away. He closed his eyes and prepared to kiss her. She blinked then laughed at him hiding the rollercoaster beating of her heart. Chinen-senpai face palmed himself.

            “You really have no interest in guys do you?” he asked her as he placed his arms on her shoulder.

            “I live with a narcissist cousin senpai I am practically immune to guys.” She said as she tried to get away from his grip.

            “Let’s go we will be visiting my uncle’s café today.” He said happily as he pulled her tighter against him. “Wonder why I did that?”

            “Yes senpai I am not really your type.” She said as they walked to the stairs.

            “For practice if you can resist me then you can resist any boy.” Senpai said happily. They went downstairs and dashed for the gate without letting the others know. They rode two bicycles that Chinen senpai hid under the bushes and made their way to the café. They enjoyed the ride taking in the view of Tokyo as they passed by the streets. Chinen senpai rode next to her as he tried to balance her bike since she wasn’t that good in riding it. Melody happily rode with her senpai until they reached the street where the café was located. They stopped in front of a cute European looking café and went inside. The café was jammed with students and adults who bought food. So her senpai’s uncle’s café was very popular she thought. Her senpai dragged her to the kitchen where a handsome man greeted them. The man was her senpai’s uncle and they were introduced. They decided to help around a little meddling with the food until a table was available for them. There were so many handsome men working inside the kitchen. They were all her senpai’s cousins.

            “Mel-chan this is my cousins Chen, Kai, Baekhyun and Chanyeol.” Her senpai introduced them. She greeted them warmly and bowed in respect. Senpai’s cousins were fun to be with and all of them were kind. She was particularly fond of Chen-san and Chanyeol-san. Chen-san had the habit of singing as he cooked while Chanyeol-san made up jokes to make her laugh. She really enjoyed their company. Kai-san was very talented in dancing while Baekhyun-san was so cute.

            After a table was made available for them she and her senpai sat and ordered while he introduced her to more of his cousins.

            “There are a total of twelve of them.” her senpai told her. She met Tao-san, D.O-san, and the ever welcoming Kris-san. Kris-san was like the father figure of the group. She ordered a chocolate soufflé while senpai ordered blueberry cheesecake. She and her senpai talked of school while they drank their lemon tea. She glanced to her right and saw a super cute boy taking the order of one high school student. She felt her heart beat faster and started feeling nervous. Their eyes met and she suddenly had the strongest urge to run to him and hug him. She involuntarily stood up but her senpai gripped her wrist and made her sit back again with such force. The boy was also looking at her weirdly. His siblings pulled him to the kitchen while he resisted.

            “This is bad I shouldn’t have bought you here.” Chinen senpai said worriedly.

            “What’s bad senpai and who was that boy?” she asked as her heart continued to beat fast like a bullet train.

            “This is really bad.” Her senpai said as he scratched his head. Mr. Kamenashi senpai’s uncle approached them and entertained them but she couldn’t help but feel the tension building up in the room. They finished their meal and left hurriedly her senpai never answered her question concerning the boy. They went home together her senpai was ridiculously quiet. They barely made it halfway through the journey when it started to rain heavily. They took shelter under the awnings of a dress shop. Her uniform was drenched and she was shivering from the cold. Her senpai on the other hand had no reaction what so ever. She was so cold and was also exhausted for some reason. She sat on the cement unknowingly. Her senpai removed his blazer which was a little dry and wrapped it around her. Chinen senpai was still quiet.

            “I can never take you again to the café Mel.” He told her solemnly.

            “Why? Senpai you still haven’t answered my question who was that boy?”

            “It’s dangerous for you as for the boy don’t ever go near him again understand!” he told her seriously.

            “But why?” she wanted to know who he was. She couldn’t understand what she was feeling but she needed to know!

            “Just stop asking ok. Come on I’ll take you home.” He told her sincerely but she was angry for some reason. Why? Why won’t he tell her who he was? In her anger she rushed into the pouring rain ignoring Chinen senpai who called after her despairingly.

 

            Melody reached their house past 7. She was drenched to her undies. Her neechan gasped when she saw her and immediately bought her inside to change her clothes. Her uncle was shocked at her appearance and demanded that she tell them what happened.

            “Mel what are you doing to yourself!” her Tiffany-neechan said frustrated. “First hiding the fact that you were being bullied in school now this!” she could only cry. She couldn’t understand she was so miserable today. Her neechan dried her hair as she sat on her neechan’s pink bed. She changed into her jammies and snuggled into her bed. She fell asleep afterwards.

 

            Tiffany stepped into Melody’s room and gasped as she saw her cousin’s face red with fever. She hurriedly ran to her father’s room and told him what had happened. Her dad carried Melody to the sofa where they brought out the fever patches and medicine. She made bitter medicine for Mel while her dad and Inoo tried to lower Mel’s temperature with fever patches and wet towel. She made Melody drink the bitter medicine gingerly and when her temperature had decreased they all sighed with relief. Melody was carried back to her room while her dad went out to buy more medicine. She was so exhausted so she went to her bed and fell asleep.

 

            Melody opened her eyes and fell something scratching at her bedroom window. A scary shadow passed by the window and she heard weird but seriously scary noises outside. She held her breath as something tried to burst through her room via her window. Unable to control her fear she ran out of her room screaming. Then she heard something break through her window and she ran. She saw a faint light from her Inoo-nichans’ room so she dashed into his room without notice and locked the door. She hopped into his bed and trembled in fear. Her Inoo-nichan was startled by her action.

            “Hey ducky what’s wrong?” he asked her as she hid inside his bed sheet.

            “Monsters in my room.” she said terribly afraid.

            “Seriously.” He said as her pulled her close for a snuggle. “Scaredy cat.” He . She couldn’t sleep because she could seriously swear she could still hear something moving in the hallway.

 

            She stayed up all night as a result her eyes were red and bulgy. Her Inoo-nichan had already gone to school whilst she was made to stay home by her neechan and uncle. She was still in her pink colored duck printed jammies when she got out of her room and slowly tiptoed to her room. She gingerly turned the knob and peeked into the room. Her neechan came up behind her causing her to scream in shock.

            “Neechan you scared me!” she said as she tried to calm her rapid breathing.

            “What were you doing peeking into your own room as if you’re an intruder?” her Tiffany neechan scolded her as she was ushered into her room. Her eyes darted her duck filled room in awe, there was no broken glass, she was sure she heard something break through her window last night. All her things were in order but the weirdest part was the fact that her bed was neatly arranged. How was that possible when she slept there earlier?

            “I see you cleaned your room. Nichan told me you slept in his bed again.” Tiffany neechan said as she inspected her room. “You should have come to my room instead.” Her neechan was jealous as usual.

            “Oneechan you don’t understand there was something scary outside last night! It tried to break into my room!” she tried to reason.

            “Mel-chan you are far too old to be believing in monsters. Now get back to bed you are still not well.” Her neechan said to her as she was forced to lay down on her bed. “I’ll get you some soup so rest and relax neechan will take care of everything ok.” Her Tiffany-neechan said as she exited the room. She could hear her neechan’s footsteps towards the kitchen. She fell asleep afterwards, her body was exhausted for some reason and her mind was going nuts the moment she thought of the boy at the café. While she slept she dreamt of him…the intense longing to see him was engulfing her in her dream she was chasing after him but she couldn’t reach him.

 

            Sunny awoke from her slumber she smiled as rays of sunshine entered her Japanese style bedroom. Her father’s house was a traditional Japanese house renovated and equipped with new utilities. The rice paper windows were replaced with glass while a white wrought iron bed and a desk occupied the whole of her small cramped room. Her bed was positioned at the right end of the bedroom, it was filled with yellow bed sheets and bed covers. Her desk was located in front of the sliding glass window, on top of it were neatly arranged books, a sunflower figurine given to her by her childhood friend and a sunflower desk lamp. Her homework was piled next to the book while her bag rested on the floor next to her desk. A traditional built in Japanese cabinet was left open and converted into an open shelf where her books and stuff toys were placed while a low white dresser was placed next to her bed beside the door. Tatami mats covered the floor and the traditional doors weren’t removed. The left side of the built-in cabinet wasn’t tampered so as to leave space for her to put her dresses in but its door was attached with a hinge instead of the traditional sliding one. A mirror was hung over the cabinet’s door. She got up checked her notes neatly piled on her desk and arranged her bag, when she was content with what she had done she carefully took out her clothes that she prepared for school. Her uniform was ironed by her father himself. She smiled at her reflection and headed for the bathroom which located at the end of the hall. She saw her brother Donghae on the way to the bathroom, his bedroom was just in front of hers.

            “Good morning Hae-oppa!” she greeted happily.

            “Good morning shorty.” Her oppa replied as her ruffled her hair. “Hurry up so I can take you to school.” He told her as he went down the stairs. She pouted and called after him.

            “I’m not a baby anymore oppa I can go to school on my own!” she turned around after saying that and headed for the bathroom. The rest of their house was not tampered except for the bathroom and the bedrooms. The interior looked exactly like a typical Japanese house. The bathroom was tiled with white octagon shaped tiles; there was a tub that had a built in shower, two sinks and a separate but adjacent toilet. She took a long shower that filled the whole bathroom with the scent of lemons from her lemon scented toiletries. After her bath she put on her yellow bathrobe and went to her room to dress. She dried her hair with a blow dryer and wore her uniform. She tied her hair into a single side ponytail using her heart decorated scrunchie. She parted her bangs to the sides and grabbed her bag. She wore her brown colored school shoes and headed to their kitchen. She found her Donghae oppa eating his breakfast next to her appa while her oldest brother Shindong cooked omelets for them. She greeted them happily and went to fill her bowl with rice.

            “Princess are you busy this Saturday I was wondering if you could help around the shop.” Her appa told her.

            “I’m not busy this Saturday appa. Sure I will help.” She told her appa as she sat to eat her breakfast. Her brothers looked at her amazed.          

            “You won’t go on a date with your boyfriend?” her Donghae oppa asked amazed. It was the first time that she realized how she often spends her weekends on a date with Sungmin. She was too busy with her love life that she forgot to spare some time helping their family business. She felt very guilty. Then her mind wandered to Akanishi Yuri how he would always help around his uncle’s shop.

            “Wouldn’t Sungmin get angry? What if you have something planned for that day.” Her Shindong oppa told her. She forgot that her brother was a big supporter of Sungmin.

            “There is nothing wrong with me helping you and appa at the shop.” She emphasized the word helping. She has recently been growing annoyed at Sungmin’s irrational jealousy. What is so hard to understand about the fact that she and Yuri-kun were merely doing their science project? She ate her breakfast silently while her brothers and appa discussed about the shop. Her father owned an Okonomiyaki shop and it was a very popular shop in their city because her father made really good Okonomiyaki. Her older brother Shindong also inherited their father’s skill in cooking; he helps their brother in the shop. Her older brother Donghae was studying medicine in Tokyo University. Her oppas were both gifted in their own fields they were sure to succeed in the future it was evident that they inherited their father’s genes while she on the other hand inherited her traits from her mother. She was gifted in singing like her mother and though she knew how to cook and was a good student she could never be as good as her siblings. She wished she had been more like her father so she could help him in the shop more like her Shindong oppa. She was brought out of her thoughts when her father said allowed the time. She hurriedly ate her breakfast and got up her seat to brush her teeth. When she went back downstairs her Donghae oppa was already waiting for her with their bento boxes on one hand. She kissed her appa in the cheek and hugged her Shindong oppa then she rode her bike next to her Donghae oppa on the way to school. Her oppa bid her farewell as they reached her school. She was bit early so she decided to roam around the campus when she accidentally bumped into Yuri.

            “Sorry Yuri-kun I wasn’t paying attention.” She apologized then picked up the books she dropped.

            “It’s ok. Why are you here so early?” he asked as he helped her with her books.

            “Why are you here so early?” she asked back.

            “Hey I asked first!” Yuri-kun whined. He looked extremely cute she thought. There was an awkward silence between them until it was broken by the sound of a chair moving in a room not far from where they standing. She and Yuri-kun decided to see what caused the sound. They reached the room; she and Yuri peeked at the open door. She felt Yuri’s hands over her eyes and he immediately pulled her away. She tried to protest but he was very strong a fact that shocked her. He removed his hands from covering her eyes when they reached the open balcony of their school.

            “Yuri-kun what was that!?” she asked frustrated. He rubbed his nape and apologized. Damn why did he have to be so freaking handsome!

            “I’m sorry Sunny-kun it’s just that it was something that a girl shouldn’t see.” he reasoned.

            “I don’t understand.” She said in confusion. What was something a girl shouldn’t see?

            “Two people doing inappropriate things in public.” He said plainly as he leaned against the railing.

           “Oh.” She said quietly. She finally understood. “So two people are having in that room?” she asked bluntly. Yuri-kun laughed until he was out of breath.

            “I’m not as innocent as you think.” She said annoyed.

            He suddenly stopped laughing and said in a serious tone.

            “So does that mean that you and Sungmin had done it?

            She turned red and smacked his arm.

            “Of course not! I’m still a genius!” she said. Yuri looked relived at what she had said. She too for some weird reason felt relieved that she hadn’t done it with her boyfriend. She couldn’t understand it why did she feel this way. Every part of her body was screaming not to disappoint this young man standing in front of her. They were quiet again she stood beside him and stared at the scenery of the school campus.

            “Yuri-kun did you recognize who they were?” she said just to break the silence.

            “No but one of them seemed to be a teacher.” he told her as he ran hand through his hair.

            She was about to drift into her thoughts when Yuri suddenly ruffled her hair causing her to blush. She stared at him as he smiled back at her.

            “Let’s go Sunny-kun we still have class remember?”

            They both headed to their classroom happily as they talked about their activities the previous days.