Six

The Spring of Past Memories

Kyuhyun stands frozen behind the window. His mouth hangs wide open, unable to believe what he just witnessed. 

His face becomes drained of colour as his palms slowly slide down from the glass and back to his sides.

Lee Hyukjae did not just do that.

Bit by bit, Kyuhyun regains his composure. And bit by bit, his shock turns to rage.

Lee Hyukjae...! 

His knuckles strained white at his sides, Kyuhyun storms out from his office and out the building. 

"YAH! LEE HYUKJAE!" 

Kyuhyun is furious. 

Lee Hyukjae just made the wrong choice, to go against him.

To tarnish his new car.

To question Kyuhyun's authority.

And to bring him a lukewarm pancake. 

A very bad choice.

Sungmin looks up from where he is still pouring the last remnants of the bucket onto Kyuhyun's car. His mouth twitches into a smirk-- a smirk Kyuhyun grudgingly finds somewhat attractive. 

Brushing an arm across his forehead, Sungmin places the bucket down and steps back, admiring his handiwork.

"Like it?" He crosses his arms across his chest and nods towards the now greasy car. "It suits you."

Kyuhyun grits his teeth and wills himself not to leave a permanent mark on those smooth round cheeks. 

"Like it? Like it? What the do you think you're doing?"

"I thought it was time someone taught you a lesson." 

"I don't ing take orders. From anyone. Least of all a midget like you!"

Sungmin stills at the last sentence.

"What did you just call me?" Sungmin lets out a low hiss.

"Midget!" Kyuhyun shouts, secretly enjoying the reaction he provoked. Sungmin looks almost... predatory.

And Kyuhyun is the prey. 

"Say it again."

"Gladly. Mid--"

A well-aimed kick at Kyuhyun's shin stops him mid-sentence. Kyuhyun immediately yelps and slaps a hand on his car to steady himself, forgetting the grime that currently covers it. 

Kyuhyun curses, whipping his hand away from his car and staring at his greasy hand. 

The sight of Kyuhyun flustered, so different from his usual cold composure is hilarious enough to Sungmin. But Kyuhyun's hand covered in dirty oil was the last straw. Laughter fills the air as Sungmin clutches at his sides, doubled up in laughter at the confused and dumbstruck expression on KM Corporation's future heir. 

"Wha-- what's so funny?" 

Kyuhyun's hand hovers in mid air, the oil forming drops at the tips of his slender fingers. 

But Sungmin was too busy laughing. With any other person, Kyuhyun wouldn't hesitate to grab their collar and show them exactly what the consequence of laughing at him was. But, for some reason unbeknownst to Kyuhyun, he can only stand and stare at the elder's mouth as he finally stopped laughing to catch his breath. 

Sungmin's laugh was weird.

Sungmin's laugh was adorable.

God, Sungmin's mouth looks so soft. 

Kyuhyun is entranced. He's convinced this... attraction he feels for Sungmin is due to his curiosity of the other's defiance against him. No one ever dared to piss off Kyuhyun. 

Except him.

In all honesty, Kyuhyun is embarrassed by his weakness for this Hyukjae. He's wanted to yell at him more than once, yet every time he just couldn't bring himself to explode in front of this cotton ball of a man. 

A cotton ball he's now determined to keep for himself. 

Because... he's curious about him.

That's all.

A loud laugh interrupts Kyuhyun's thoughts, making the taller man cast a dark glare at its origin. 

"You should've seen your face!" Sungmin chortles at the memory.

"Not funny."

"Well, now we're even." Sungmin laughs one last time before he picks up the now empty bucket. The lukewarm pancake dangles frm his other hand as he starts heading back to the building. 

"Yah! Aren't you going to clean this off?"

Sungmin turns and shakes his head.

"Not now. Maybe later, if you're nicer to me."

"What do you mean later? The oil will solidify!"

Sungmin ignores Kyuhyun's cries and continues walking, humming a tune Kyuhyun couldn't quite catch.

And for once, Kyuhyun is speechless. He can only give up and follow the shorter man, wondering if the latter will be angry if he didn't want to eat the pancake anymore. 

 

***

 

Kyuhyun treads cautiously, unsure of whether he's heading in the correct direction.

Grass flattens before springing back up from his steps, a vibrant green ruffling against the Spring wind.

It has been many years, after all.

Thirteen years is a very long time.

Not usually the kind of person to avoid things, Kyuhyun has certainly been avoiding the visit to this place. He's finally gathered enough courage this morning, telling his secretary to clear all his schedules for the day. He'd also barked down the phone at Sungmin, telling him to stay home and get a haircut. The elder man's response hasn't been ideal, to say the least. Kyuhyun heard some words he never knew even existed. He chuckles quietly at the memory. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Part of him was afraid of the absence of a letter awaiting him, but a bigger part of him clung to the hope that the letter exists and was waiting there patiently for Kyuhyun to come and read it. 

Some birds chirp in the distance, and Kyuhyun lifts up a hand, shielding his eyes from the midday sun. He scans the serene field laying in front of him, until his eyes recognise a particular tree. 

His father had pressured him to turn this place into a hotel complex, but time and time again Kyuhyun firmly refused, leaving his father baffled and upset. Kyuyun winces as he remembered the fights that ensued. It was always about expansion, money, and what Mr. Cho insisted was for the good of Kyuhyun's future. 

A few steps later across the grassy plain, Kyuhyun stops. His eyes travel up the leaves hanging off in strands from the willow tree, now taller, its bark slightly rougher, worn down by thirteen years' worth of battering.

The tree still looks the same... yet it looks different in an older Kyuhyun's eyes. 

He stoops, an arm coming up to lift the strings of leaves until he spots the alcove. Its bricks are mapped out with cracks, the paint present in flakes speckled over the clay red. 

Kyuhyun falters and pats his jeans nervously as he enters the small alcove, glancing at the walls surrounding him . Does he still remember...?

He needn't have worried, however, as his hand reaches up of its own accord towards a brick just a tad smaller and more rounded at the corners than the others. 

Kyuhyun lets out the breath he didn't know he was holding as the brick easily pulls out. 

His heart further skips a beat as he sees the piece of paper slightly wrinkled, but nevertheless present, in the gap left by the slab of clay.

Leaning down, the taller man sets down the brick, its edges making a slight grinding sound against the concrete floor of the alcove.

Hands slightly trembling, Kyuhyun bites his lip before unfolding the letter and starting to read.

 

My dear Kyuhyunnie,

How have you been? It's been thirteen long years, and I wonder if your eyes will ever scan the words I'm writing right now. Do you still remember me? 

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that thirteen years have passed, and I am writing this letter. A part of me doesn't even want to send this. I really hope you did keep our promise, but I won't resent you if I come back in two months' time and see this letter untouched.

I also hope you've been taking care of yourself and grown into a handsome and well-mannered 20 year old man... a man who respects his elders! Do you remember when I used to get angry at you for not calling me hyung? I still remember that week we spent together, playing in this very field... you used to be obsessed with cicada shells. 

I don't know if I should disclose where I am and what I'm doing right now, in case this letter falls into a stranger's hands. But know that your hyung is doing well. And if you ever crave pancakes... perhaps you'll see me. 

I'm sorry for this rather disjointed letter... maybe you were expecting something more from me, a person you haven't talked to or seen since you were seven? But then again, I've never been really good at writing things down. I prefer reading. 

I've mentioned this before, but I'll come back in two months' time to check whether my letter is still here. If it isn't, I'm hoping it's with you, Kyuhyunnie. And if it is... well, we'll see then. But I will keep my promise and give you until Christmas this year to reply me. 

Sungmin. 

 

 

==================

 

So what do you think? :D 

Sorry about the late update... I'm trying to write as often as possible (got optometry lectures/labs at college :/)

Complications will start arising soon... please anticipate, even though my writing skills may not be up to scratch ><

I know I say this in every chapter, but seriously the support from you guys is amazing. Never thought I'd have people reading/commenting/subscribing! Makes writing fun amongst all my university stuff ^^

*eats cake*