Twelve

The Spring of Past Memories

It was as if a cannon went off in Sungmin's head.

 

There was no other way to describe it.

His head hurts.

He's confused.

Siwon wants him to be his.....

Again?

He's supposed to feel happy, right?

He's supposed to say yes straight away.

So what's he doing thinking about it?

There should be no thinking required.

 

"You-- you want us... to date, again?" Sungmin stammered out. 

Sungmin never stammers.

He sounded ridiculous.

"That would make me very happy, yes." Siwon smiled.

"I--"

"You don't have to answer me now," Siwon signaled for the bill. "I know it's been a long time, and things-- situations-- may have changed since then."

Sungmin nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

Because didn't he want a boyfriend just the other day?

Siwon always treated him well.

He felt comfortable with Siwon.

He definitely liked Siwon well enough.

So what was preventing him from saying yes straight away?

 

The waiter came with the bill and Sungmin made to get his wallet out, but Siwon waved him off.

"It's on me," Siwon smiled again. "You suffer enough working for my friend." 

Sungmin tried to smile back.

His head's still in a mess.

He has no idea why.

They were right when they said life was full of surprises.

Whether this was a pleasant one....

 

"Let's go," Siwon stood up and opened the door for Sungmin as they went out. "Didn't you say you'd be back in half an hour?"

"Y--yeah." 

"I'll get you a cab," Siwon left Sungmin trailing behind him as he went onto the sidewalk. He knew the elder needed time to think. He's prepared himself for the worst-- he just needs to hear it with his own ears. If Sungmin said yes, though... Siwon knew he'd be feeling-- well, words can't describe how he'd feel.

Which was why he was willing to take the risk.

As Sungmin stopped next to him on the sidewalk, Siwon turned and looked at the other.

"Listen, Min," he started. Sungmin almost flinched at the all-too-familiar nickname.

"I don't-- I don't mind if you say no," Siwon rushed on. "Well, I do mind, but I'd be willing to let you go. I don't want you to force yourself to date me. Like I said, times have changed. I understand if your feelings have also."

Sungmin looked up and let out a weak smile. Yes, Siwon has always been so considerate.

A perfect gentleman.

A safe choice.

"Okay," Sungmin bit on his lower lip. "I'm sorry, I'm just-- surprised, I guess."

"You weren't expecting this-- I sprung it on you--"

"No, no, it's fine," Sungmin smiled more easily, feeling bad the other seemed so flustered. "Can you... give me time? To think about it?"

"Yes, sure, of course." Siwon felt slightly relieved for not being rejected on the spot. He remembered when he first saw Kyuhyun and Sungmin enter the restaurant together the other night, he thought for a fleeting moment they were dating. Call him selfish, but he was glad Sungmin was still single. 

A cab came around, and Sungmin smiled before getting in. 

"Thanks for lunch, Siwon. I had fun." 

"Anytime," Siwon smiled back as the cab drove off.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun didn't like to think he sulks. 

He's a fully grown man who is heir to the largest company in Korea.

He's got money.

He's got friends. (Friends who pester him more than he'd like, yes, but are reliable when it counts.)

So what did he, of all people, have to sulk for?

Kyuhyun looked at the digital clock sitting in front of him, the seconds ticking by silently.

The midget was due back 10 minutes ago.

What the hell was so secretive that Siwon had to talk to Sungmin alone?

His birthday wasn't for ages, although he doubted Siwon would talk to Sungmin about that even if it was.

Kyuhyun was about to get his jacket and go out to clear his head when the door opened.

Kyuhyun knew only one person who dared enter his office without knocking. 

He knew it was Sungmin before he even looked up.

 

"What took you so long?" it took Kyuhyun a lot of restraint not to snap at Sungmin. 

He didn't know why he felt so annoyed, but what he did know was that Sungmin was definitely the source of his annoyance.

"Sorry," Sungmin mumbled quietly as he made his way back to his desk. He already had a lot weighing on his mind, what with Siwon's-- proposal, and all. 

He didn't want to pick a fight with Kyuhyun, too.

 

Kyuhyun fell silent upon hearing the word.

He may not know the other well, but he knew something was definitely wrong.

Because Lee Sungmin never apologized.

 

"What the hell did Siwon say to you," Kyuhyun hissed.

Siwon may be a good friend, but if he said something that upset the other so much he was willing to apologize...

Kyuhyun would be willing to punch the man.

Because he was used to seeing a short-tempered, defiant, sarcastic Sungmin.

Not this.

 

And despite Kyuhyun wanting to punch the other more often than not, he had to admit Sungmin was very good at his job.

Which is why Kyuhyun had to be angry at Siwon; because he didn't want his personal assistant to be upset and not do his job properly.

It certainly is a plausible explanation.

 

Sungmin stayed silent. He wasn't sure if he should tell Kyuhyun, or make something up.

But he's lied to the man about his name already.

His parents have always taught him to be an honest man.

Telling Kyuhyun the truth for once wouldn't hurt, right?

 

Sungmin sighed.

"Siwon... asked me out."

 

Silence.

The clock ticked. One, two, three.

 

"What do you mean, Siwon asked you out?" Kyuhyun was stunned. He thought the two had broken up for good when Siwon went overseas. So what the hell was going on now?

"Do I have to spell it out for you?" Sungmin grits his teeth. This was exactly why he shouldn't tell Kyuhyun anything personal. He doesn't get any advice from it, he just gets more frustrated.

"He wants to... date you again?" Kyuhyun's eyes widened. For once, he didn't know what to say. Or think.

"Yes." Sungmin walked briskly to his desk and sat down, wanting to stop this conversation. He half regrets telling the other already. Sungmin remembers being determined not to let work mingle with his personal life, but recently (to his annoyance) the lines are becoming blurred. And now, even his initial hatred for the younger is almost non-existent for some reason he’d rather not think about.

 

A few more seconds ticked by.

 

“Did you say yes?” Kyuhyun muttered, crushing Sungmin’s relief at the pretence of said topic being dropped.

“No.”

Kyuhyun didn’t know he could feel so delighted upon hearing the single syllable uttered from the elder’s lips.

He waited for the other to elaborate, but nothing came.

“So you said no?” Kyuhyun pressed on, not caring if he got yelled or cursed at.

Hearing Sungmin say he rejected Siwon seemed to be his top priority right now.

“No.”

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows at the answer. This wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

“Then what—”

“Look, I told him to give me time, okay? Satisfied? Now stop being nosy and let me work!” Sungmin huffed out and ran a hand through his hair, purposely turning his chair so that his back faced the younger.

No, Kyuhyun wasn’t satisfied.

Not even close.

The mere potential of Siwon dating Sungmin made him seethe.

Whether it was from anger or jealousy, he didn’t know. Nor did he care.

He only knew that he’d be more than pissed if Sungmin agreed to be Siwon’s.

 

Kyuhyun glanced over at Sungmin. Not a trace of the latter’s thoughts were given away on his face, and Kyuhyun frowns as he tried to decipher what the other could be thinking.

He wanted to ask about the other’s thoughts on the Siwon situation, but was afraid he’d be going home with more than a bruised leg this time.

 

The afternoon passed with Kyuhyun opening and closing his mouth a few times, and Sungmin commenting on the other looking like a dying goldfish before heading home for the day.

 

**

 

It’s been a long time—too long, since Sungmin had a boyfriend.               

As for finding a good boyfriend, Siwon definitely ticked all the boxes.

And Sungmin did want to date again…

Had Sungmin been given a choice two years ago, he would never have broken up with the other man. He hasn't dated anyone as seriously since, either.

Sure, he may not like Siwon with as much intensity as before, but who knows what might happen after a couple of dates?

They always say old habits die hard.

Maybe Sungmin liking Siwon counts as an old habit.

In fact, he might fall for Siwon all over again.

There’s no harm in trying, right?

He doesn’t have anyone else he likes, anyway.

 

Sungmin chewed on his bottom lip as he pressed the dial tone to his ear. This should be the right decision, but somehow he couldn’t shake away the niggling feeling that he was making a mistake, a mere distraction from something he can't quite put his finger on yet.

A couple of rings answered him before someone picks up.

“Siwon? Yeah, it’s me. I just— I mean, I’ve decided. My answer…”

Sungmin took a deep breath.

“It’s a yes.”

 

**

 

Cho Kyuhyun doesn’t do jealous.

In all his 20—almost 21— years of life, he has never felt the need to be jealous of anyone else.

Simply because of the fact that what he wants, he gets.

And this fact has remained true for all these years…

Until now.

Why?

Because Kyuhyun has decided he wants to keep Sungmin and his smile to himself, but with Siwon wanting to date the latter again, this poses a problem.

A barrier, if you will.

And for the first time, Kyuhyun had no idea how to remove this road block.

Siwon wasn’t a physical object, so removal or disposal was out of the question.

Maybe he can bribe Sungmin with a generous pay rise in order for him to reject Siwon. This could work, since Sungmin’s family aren’t too well off.

But then again, the man’s goddamn pride would never let this happen. Besides, endless questions mostly involving the word why would also come firing at him.

And as much as Kyuhyun liked to think he had answers for everything, the word why has also been circulating in his own mind more often than it should recently, too.

The brunette eyes a slightly creased piece of paper in front of him. The setting sun casts long shadows across it, highlighting its presence.

Kyuhyun hopes the paper contains the answers to the whys which have been plaguing him.

Why he wants to keep Sungmin to himself.

Why he wanted to punch Siwon for asking Sungmin out.

Why he wanted Sungmin to depend on him, be it lending him a car or giving him an income.

Why he almost desperately wanted to see Sungmin’s smile again, as if it’s some kind of drug able to make him feel euphoric without fail every time.

And…

Why he wanted Sungmin to feel this way—all the confusion, sleepless nights— about him, too.

Kyuhyun unfolded the piece of paper gingerly, doubtful about its content. Either Sungmin had a logical explanation for all these feelings or Kyuhyun needed to make an appointment to the doctor’s, stat. Preferably not the latter.

His dark brown eyes scanned the paper, looking for a specific paragraph.

He found it.

He read it.

He read it again.

 

The good news—Sungmin had an answer.

The bad news—Sungmin’s answer was impossible to be true.

It couldn’t be true, because of one specific sentence. They’re mere words written on paper, but to Kyuhyun they seemed to jump out of the page and kick him where it hurts.

Kyuhyun, I might not know a lot of things when we were younger, but I’m pretty sure you like this guy… and you like him a lot.

Yes, he read that right.

Sungmin is telling him that he likes Hyukjae*. And, to quote the man, he likes him “a lot”. Of all the things Kyuhyun was expecting to read, this didn’t fall upon his mind once. 

Was Kyuhyun going to accept this answer? 

He didn't know when the elder's defiance became something Kyuhyun didn't try to placate, but instead grew rather fond of. 

He didn't know when he wanted to see the elder smiling at him, instead of his usual scowl.

Kyuhyun is a man who likes to know exactly what is going on, whether it be his own feelings or how his company's stocks are doing. Which is why this whole thing with Hyukjae* felt foreign and undoubtedly frustrating.

Kyuhyun ran a hand through his hair and considered Sungmin's response again.

It's been such a long time since he has legitimately "liked" someone, and to like someone without even noticing it surprised himself even more. 

Sungmin's smile flashed through his mind again, and the mere image made his heart bump out an irregular beat.

And that's when Kyuhyun knew.

His heart was what sealed the deal for him this time, and not his brain.

Goddamn it.

So it's true.

Cho Kyuhyun, the sole heir to KM Corporation, likes Lee Sungmin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And I'm back! :D Finally an update OTL. Sorry for the long wait.

I was reading some of the earliest chapters of this fic and mentally facepalmed at how fail my writing was (and still is… although I hope I’ve improved by a bit?) -_-

I also hope the plot is picking up now (at least by a little)! And I promise, the whole Siwon/Sungmin thing will end before it even starts *evil laugh*

Comments are appreciated! :)