Ten

The Spring of Past Memories

When Sungmin got back home, he took a quick shower before finally settling down under the covers. The day's events had certainly drained him, but not as much physically as emotionally.

Firstly, he'd met Siwon again, and although he did get a text from the other announcing his arrival back in Korea, he certainly didn't expect to meet him so soon. It put him on the spot, and in front of Kyuhyun, no less. Sungmin sighs as he thinks back to the close call he had with his name. He knows sooner or later he'll have to tell the other, although it'll take some explaining. 

Having not seen Siwon for two years, he didn't expect any old feelings to resurface. He was glad none had tonight, either. Sure, the hug they had was nice, but now it was completely platonic. Sungmin couldn't imagine how messy it would be if he still had feelings for the other. In saying that though, he hadn't had a boyfriend ever since Siwon. He'd been attracted to other men, yes, but they were nothing compared to what he had felt for Siwon-- he has yet to meet someone who could make him feel such an intense... he didn't know for sure, but it felt like the beginning of love. Sungmin knows he'll have to see the other again soon, to properly explain the name change and confirm that no old feelings linger.

Kyuhyun, on the other hand... 

Well, Sungmin didn't know what the whole deal with Kyuhyun was. All this time, he only knows him by his last name, Cho. He's arrogant, rude and demanding at work, but tonight... tonight, he's shown a shred of kindness to Sungmin. In fact, Sungmin realised with a bite of his lips, he didn't even retort to Kyuhyun's snark with spite anymore, but more of a tease. 

Wait a minute.

Was he possibly... warming up to Kyuhyun?

Sungmin smacked his cheeks with the thought and shifted deeper under the covers, ready to fall asleep. Exhaustion seems to have made him think weird thoughts again. He's sure that when he wakes up in the morning, he'll remember none of this. 

 

**

He does.

Sungmin turns up to work the next day still half-awake. The early morning sun did nothing to cleanse his eyes of sleep. He greeted Kyuhyun with a casual "Morning," before failing to stifle a large yawn. 

"Looks like someone didn't get enough sleep last night," the younger commented at Sungmin, himself alert (as always, Sungmin noted) and already shuffling papers around in a pile for Sungmin to do. 

"And whose fault was that?" Sungmin quipped back, and now Sungmin notices the lack of spite in his voice which has always been present before. 

"I'm wide awake, aren't I? Can't say the same for you, though."

"Whatever," Sungmin takes the pile of papers from Kyuhyun's desk. "These for me?"

Kyuhyun nods and turns his attention to his laptop. 

"By lunchtime." 

Sungmin rolls his eyes. The younger seems to have reverted back to work mode.

 

**

 

Lunchtime rolled around quicker than expected due to the large amount of work Kyuhyun had left him.

"I'm heading out for lunch now," Sungmin announced as he walked over with the reports he'd typed up in the morning.

"You can head home," Kyuhyun replied, taking his glasses off and rubbing his eyes. Contrary to what it seems like on the outside, Kyuhyun had just as much sleep as Sungmin-- not a lot. 

"Yeah, ok-- wait, what?" Sungmin wasn't sure if he heard right.

"I said, you can head home now." Kyuhyun spoke slowly this time. "Or has lack of sleep affected your hearing as well?"

Sungmin decided to ignore the last comment.

"But you never let me go home early." 

"You won't be productive in the afternoon, anyway, as your non-stop yawning in the morning indicated. Therefore I just gave you extra work in the morning in exchange for you leaving early." 

"Uh..." Sungmin wasn't sure what to say to that. "Thanks, I guess." With that, he let out a brief smile.

That brief smile was enough to tell Kyuhyun he'd done the right thing. 

 

**

 

Sungmin decided to make a detour to the alcove before going home. 

As he lay on the unmown grass and stared up at the clouds floating among the early afternoon sun, he wonders how the Kyuhyun from his childhood is doing. He wonders what kind of man the other has grown into, and whether he's doing well in his father's business. 

He also wonders when, and if, they will meet up again. 

Sure, he had received a letter with a reply, but that didn't guarantee anything. For all he knows, the other may not want to meet him at all-- these letters might be nothing more than mere pleasantries. In fact, he'd checked the alcove just a few minutes ago and his letter was still there. Although that may be because he only placed the letter there a couple days ago-- Sungmin's never been known for his patience. 

Speaking of patience, Sungmin's thoughts drift back to a certain brunette man once again. He was surprised enough yesterday night after dinner when the other let him borrow his car (Sungmin can't help but let out an amused grin as he remembered exactly what he'd done to the car a few weeks ago), but today this out-of-character behaviour has struck again. Sungmin decided not to dwell on the younger's acts of kindness towards him-- it might just be a strange phase the brunette is going through, and all too soon he'll revert back to his snarky side again. 

But Sungmin will admit that it definitely feels nice when Kyuhyun shows care towards him-- Sungmin can't put his finger on it, but somehow it's a different kind of feeling to when Hyukjae treats him to lunch, for example. He's even started smiling at the younger a couple of times, although Sungmin realised he has yet to see a smile from the other himself.

Sungmin stretches on the grass and decided to stop thinking useless thoughts. Lee Sungmin, you won't see this annoying boss of yours once university starts again, he reminds himself firmly. And you should be happy about that.

But will he really be happy not waking up and knowing he'll see the Cho guy's face? 

"Aish!" Sungmin grunts in frustration and dusts himself off before starting to head home. He's convinced again these thoughts are due to sleep deprivation. 

 

**

 

Alone in the office, Kyuhyun is surrounded by silence, broken only by the ticking of a large wooden clock in the room. The sun is setting behind him, casting long shadows across his desk. 

Kyuhyun holds the letter he retrieved from the alcove half an hour ago. Sungmin's reply had been general once again, saying he was glad Kyuhyun was settled well in work, and mentioned that he lived in Seoul. In short, nothing out of the ordinary. However, Kyuhyun was surprised at how fast the other had replied-- he'd gone for a walk to the alcove, trying to clear his head of a certain man's (or midget, as he liked to think) smile, when he saw the letter crushed underneath the now-familiar brick. 

The brunette had finished his work for the day but he didn't feel like going home yet, albeit being tired and wanting nothing more than sleep. He wanted to get something off his mind, and writing a reply to Sungmin seems like the perfect solution. 

And what was the thing occupying his mind?

The very reason he'd gone for a walk in the first place -- Hyukjae*. (please read author's note if confused)

He wasn't sure why this certain man has been weighing on his thoughts so heavily in recent times, which was why he wanted to ask Sungmin what it meant, and hopefully get a reply in turn telling him what he thinks of it. Kyuhyun could ask his friend Donghae, but the other acts like a dorky four year old more often than not, making conversations like these... frustrating. No, his best bet would be to ask Sungmin. Even when they were younger, Kyuhyun remembers the other being more mature than his age.

Taking out a fresh piece of paper, Kyuhyun decides to put everything he's been feeling in writing (although it may make him sound ridiculous) and hopefully the confusion he's been experiencing can be cleared. Including-- especially why he wants to see Hyukjae*'s smile so much.

 

Dear Sungmin...

 

**

 

A few days later, Sungmin goes back to the alcove on one of his rare days off. Apparently the younger had fallen sick, and told him not to come in for today. Sungmin knew he should be happy to have a day to himself (these were his holidays after all), but somehow he can't help but worry a little for the other. These past few days, Sungmin had managed to hold actual conversations with the brunette, whom he learnt lives by himself. And despite sleeping early everyday, the strange feelings he had for the younger had not worn off nor grown weaker either.

Placing a hand on the loose brick, Sungmin wonders if his letter has been taken yet. When he did lift the brick away though, he was surprised to see an unfamiliar piece of paper sitting there.

Could it be a reply, already?

Gingerly pulling out the letter, Sungmin leans against the wall and starts reading. 

A few seconds into reading though, his eyes widen at a certain paragraph. 

 

Also... I've been wondering if I could ask you something. You might think I'm weird, but I think you'll be able to tell me what this is all about.

You see, recently... I've been feeling... confused, I guess, about a certain person.

I see him at work everyday, and usually we argue and can't wait to get out of each other's faces, but these past couple of weeks I've been thinking about him a lot-- and not unpleasant thoughts either. I don't even know why I'm even feeling this way. I just know that I don't want to argue with him anymore-- ever since I saw his smile for the first time, I've been wanting to see that smile everyday.

This guy, he's very... short-tempered too. And always stands by what he thinks. Usually I'd have low tolerance for those kinds of people (you would know that), and it's true that at the beginning I thought I could make him compliant towards me (which failed), but now I don't want to change a bit of him. Sometimes I even find ways to rile him up just so he'd snap at me. 

It's almost as if one second I want to punch him (he really knows how to get on my nerves), but the next I just want him to like me and stop shooting me death glares. 

What's more, I find myself getting really annoyed when I see him acting close with other people. Like a few days back, I saw him hugging this other guy and I wanted to drag him away.

So, Sungmin... why am I like this? You might be laughing your head off thinking I sound like some freaky teenage girl but if you could tell me what you think this is, I can finally sleep in peace.

Kyuhyun

 

Sungmin smirked as he re-read the paragraph. 

Sounds like someone's got it bad.

His little Kyuhyun has finally grown up.

He likes someone.

But as usual, the dork is completely oblivious.

Despite the slight squeeze he feels in his heart, Sungmin knows it's only right for him to help the other realise his feelings. 

Sighing, he makes his way home, feeling slightly envious at all the couples he passes.

Maybe it really is time for him to find a boyfriend.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun frowned as he glanced at the man sitting a few feet away from him. 

The other had been easily irritable ever since he came to work today-- and that's saying something, since he had a short fuse to begin with. 

Kyuhyun thought that giving the other a day off yesterday would make him come to work happy today. What happened, though, was the complete opposite. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. Why did he even tolerate this? He should be the one complaining, since he still had a semi-sore throat from his cold. 

"Yah Hyukjae*," Kyuhyun decided to see what was bothering the other. It was either that, or seeing Sungmin's long face for the rest of the day. 

Sungmin grunted, but didn't look up from his work.

"At least look at me when I'm talking to you," Kyuhyun sighed. 

Sungmin complied, although his face was still wearing the same sullen look from this morning.

"What's bothering you?" Kyuhyun never believed in beating around the bush. That's one thing helping his father run this company has taught him. 

"Nothing," 

"Yeah, right. You've been in a bad mood since this morning. And quite frankly that sour look on your face isn't attractive at all."

"I'm not in a bad mood."

"Try telling that to a five year old."

"I just don't feel well. Why do you care anyway." Sungmin snapped. He rubbed his eyes, knowing it was wrong of him to take out his frustration at the younger. 

Kyuhyun was taken aback at Sungmin's sudden outburst. Here he was, trying to show concern for Hyukjae*, but all that did was make their "relationship" fall back to square one. Although he wasn't sure what they had was a relationship to begin with. 

He decided to go back to work. Hell, he'd be crazy trying to make conversation again with someone who was clearly on PMS, albeit being male. 

Sungmin sighs as he saw Kyuhyun with his eyes cast down, shuffling random pieces of paper around. He might be wrong, but the younger almost looked hurt. 

"I'm not feeling well, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

Kyuhyun looked up, surprised. This is the first time Sungmin admitted he was in the wrong. He knew it was the closest he could get to an apology from the other, and it made him somewhat satisfied.

He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, waiting for the other to elaborate. He didn't miss the scowl on the elder's face.

"Look, there's no particular reason I'm feeling off today, okay. I just do. So let me get back to work now." 

"Whatever you say," Kyuhyun shrugged. He was already happy enough from the almost-apology--

Wait, what?

Cho Kyuhyun, the future CEO of Korea's largest company, has never allowed for mistakes.

And now he's happy he almost heard an apology?

An apology from a lowly personal assistant?

An apology from someone he has the power to fire anytime?

What the was--

A sudden knock on the door disrupted Kyuhyun's thoughts. 

"Come in," Kyuhyun managed to croak out. His head was still swirling at the thought of "happy" and "apology" being in the same sentence. 

A receptionist leans in through the crack of the door.

"Sir, someone is at reception requesting for a person named Lee Hyukjae. We wouldn't let him in, but he says he knows you..."

Sungmin furrowed his eyebrows. It's definitely not any of his friends-- none of them, with the exception of Hyukjae, knew he was working here. But who else would want to see him?

"He's asking for m--" 

"What's his name?" Kyuhyun interjected.

"Choi Siwon. He says he wants to take Lee Hyukjae out for lunch."

 

 

 

 

 

First, I'd just like to say a massive, massive thank you to everyone who left me comments! Your support really makes me happy + humbled <3

I don't see this fic ending anytime soon (maybe another few chapters?), there's a lotta stuff I need to get through so I hope you all stay with me til the end~

Also, I know a few of you are asking whennnnn Kyuhyun is gonna find out about Sungmin's real name (or vice versa) and I get that the longer I drag it on the more unlikely this whole situation seems... so just hang on tight for now >< I just want them to develop feelings for each other before finding out the truth :P 

I know this can be confusing though, so for now when you see Hyukjae*, this means it's Sungmin in Kyuhyun's mind.

Ahh author why you make story so confusing! *Sorry, sorry*