Five

The Spring of Past Memories

Thirty minutes later, Kyujin chuckles lightly as Sungmin finishes telling him how he went from pancake boy to the personal assistant of KM Corporation's heir.

"Sungmin-ah, I sincerely wish you luck working for our Mr. Cho. His temper... let's just say you don't ever want to disobey him." Kyujin laughs. "God forbid he ever hears me saying this, but he's a good kid at heart. Always appears tough and arrogant though."

He sighs good-naturedly. 

"Go easy on him, Sungmin-ah. He's still a couple years younger than you, although he often acts much younger."

Sungmin nods. 

"I understand, Kyujin-sshi. The job doesn't pay badly, and it also means my parents can continue running their business." 

They reach the door to Kyuhyun's office. Kyujin pats Sungmin's shoulder in encouragement before walking away. 

Sungmin takes a deep breath and knocks, entering when a velvety "Come in," drifts through. 

Kyuhyun doesn't look up from his papers as Sungmin enters the room.

"Hyukjae, late again. If tardiness is going to be a regular problem, your paycheck may be compromised."

Sungmin doesn't even bother arguing. He resorts to cursing this Cho guy under his breath. 

Kyuhyun tuts and continues shuffling his papers.

"Now what did I say about this attitude of yours? Do you really want me to fire you?" 

"My mistake, sir. It won't happen again." Sungmin manages to force out. Think of your parents

"Good. Now I want you to start sorting the file cabinets over there." Kyuhyun gestures to the file cabinets lining the wall to his left.

"Some of the files are outdated, they need to be discarded. Make sure files are aligned alphabetically. Also, create an index for the files contained in each cabinet. I expect this to be completed before lunch. Understood?"

"You cannot be serious." Sungmin scoffs and folds his arms across his chest. "Unless you're blind, there are at least fifteen file cabinets. How the hell am I supposed to sort through everything in four hours?" 

Kyuhyun shrugs and returns to shuffling his papers. "Not my problem. But if I were you, I'd get started now instead of complaining."  

For once, Sungmin is speechless. This man--

"Actually, before you start, go and get me a trim latte, caramel shot, no sugar."

"Go get it yourself." 

"Fine. I'll tell Kyujin to go ahead with demolishing your parents' business."

Sungmin seethed. "Is that the only thing you can use to threaten me?"

"Yes. But it's enough, isn't it?"

Kyuhyun let out a bemused smirk at the sight of Sungmin fuming, his cheeks flushed red, lips slightly parted revealing two perfect front teeth. The short man doesn't look intimidating at all, he chuckles. Kyuhyun feels a weird tug in his chest as he is reminded of how the Sungmin he knew from thirteen years ago used to look when he was annoyed with Kyuhyun.

Sungmin turns on his heels and pulls open the door with such force it slams shut behind him. But Kyuhyun doesn't mind. He's too busy appreciating how the short man's looked in his new suit. He runs a hand through his hair before returning to his papers.

 

*****

 

Five minutes later, Sungmin slams a takeaway coffee cup in front of Kyuhyun before heading towards the file cabinets. 

"Honestly Hyukjae, you need to remember who the boss is here." Kyuhyun rubs his eyes and turns his chair, facing Sungmin's hunched back. 

Sungmin grunts in reply as he sifts through the documents, trying to get them into some sort of order. 

"Didn't quite catch that."

"Yes, sir." Sungmin is getting tired of this "sir" . He's older than this Cho! Someone ought to teach this kid some respect. If it weren't for his parents, Sungmin would've gladly marked the taller man's face to teach him a lesson. 

 

****

 

For the next five hours, Sungmin slaved away at the file cabinets, painstakingly indexing and reorganizing their contents. Both worked in silence, broken only by a soft cough from Kyuhyun or the slamming of drawers by Sungmin. 

Kyuhyun occasionally stole glances at Sungmin's back. The shorter man had removed his outer suit jacket and rolled up the sleeves of his white shirt, and Kyuhyun couldn't help but notice the man's toned arms and his creamy skin Kyuhyun could just make out from under his shirt. 

He wanted to run his hands along that smooth skin and feel it underneath his fingertips. 

Kyuhyun pinched himself on his cheek. Why is this Hyukjae making me think these thoughts? 

You are a lot of things, Kyuhyun, but you're definitely not a ert, Kyuhyun decided firmly. 

Yet he's had these thoughts more than once whilst watching Sungmin work. 

Kyuhyun admits he's been... curious? Intrigued? by Sungmin as soon as he saw the older man yelling at his receptionist. He wasn't sure what drew him to Sungmin, but he wants to learn more about this man the more he talked to him. 

Sungmin is different from all the other men Kyuhyun's had his eye on. 

How could he have such adorable features yet become aggressive in an instant? 

Kyuhyun was sure that given the chance, Sungmin would punch him again. 

Despite what those plump M-shaped lips and doe-shaped eyes tell him otherwise. 

The taller man rubbed his temples. He definitely didn't like this violent Sungmin guy. Just... curious. 

 

***

 

"I'm finished... sir." 

Sungmin flicks his hair from his eyes as he looks down at Kyuhyun, who is still sitting behind his desk, busy with his laptop. 

When Kyuhyun made no reply, Sungmin lost the last shred of patience he had with the man. He's just worked non-stop for the past five hours, and now he's tired, hungry, and wants nothing more than to sleep. 

"YAH!" Sungmin slams both his palms on the desk, but the younger man only calmly pressed a few buttons on his laptop before clicking it shut. 

"Yah! Cho--" Sungmin pauses as he realised he doesn't know the man's name. 

"I don't respond to Cho." 

"Aish!" Sungmin runs a hand through his hair. "I need a break! I've been working all day without food-- I'm not your slave!" 

"Good timing. Go and get me a chicken pancake from your parents' shop. And some iced lemon tea. I'll give you ten minutes." 

For the second time that day, Sungmin is speechless. 

"Hurry up. I can't wait all day." Kyuhyun clicks open his laptop again. "And bring your lunch up here too. You're my personal assistant, after all."

Sungmin bites his lip and storms away without another word, the door slamming behind him again as he went. 

Normally, this lack of respect would have Kyuhyun fuming and firing the person immediately. 

But Kyuhyun could only smile as he returned to his work.

 

****

 

Sungmin's rage only calms down as he reaches his parent's shop. Seeing it there stuck between skyscrapers of metal and glass comforts him and he smiles as he sees the lunchtime crowd. 

"Hey, mum. Need a hand?" 

Mrs. Lee flicks her son's forehead. 

"Yah Sungmin-ah, I hope you're not running away from work!" 

"Two beef, one chocolate, coming through!" Mr. Lee makes his way to the front, the sweat on his forehead captured by a headband.

Sungmin rolls his sleeves up as he prepares to make Kyuhyun's order.

"Sungmin? Shouldn't you be at work? We can manage fine without you."  Mr. Lee says as he returns to the small kitchen. 

"Yeah dad, my boss wanted me to get him a chicken pancake." 

Mr. Lee chuckles. "I still can't believe you're working at KM. My son! Working at KM!" 

Mrs. Lee swats her husband away. "How's work, Sungmin? And hurry up on that pancake. You don't want to keep the boss waiting." 

Sungmin rolls his eyes. "Work's fine, mum. Stop worrying. My boss, he's... great."

"Good to hear-- Yah! Your pancake Sungmin! It's burning!" 

Sungmin smirks as he flips the pancake over before putting it in a paper bag. He had purposely made it slightly burnt. God knows that Cho definitely deserves it. 

As he leaves the shop, a big bucket filled with a grimy mix on the steps catches his eye. 

"Hey dad, what's this?"

"That? Oh, I'm going to take it to the dump later, it's food waste and oil." 

An evil smirk makes its way up Sungmin's lips again. 

"Dad, I'll take it to the dump with me before going back to work. It's quite heavy anyway." 

"Oh-- Sungmin, you don't have to--" Mr Lee shouts, but it fell on deaf ears as Sungmin leaves with the bucket. 

He had good use for the waste in that bucket. A very good use.

"Sungmin hyung!" 

Sungmin turns at the sound of his name called by a very familiar voice. 

"Hyukjae!" Sungmin wobbles over to his friend, the bucket making a sloshing sound with every step. "What are you doing in KM's car park?"

"I should be asking you the same thing!" Hyukjae beams. "I'm here 'cos I got selected for a paid internship in their accounting department!" 

"Oh wow! Congratulations!" Sungmin drops the bucket and pancake down to hug Hyukjae. "Did you start today?"

"Tomorrow," Hyukjae grins again. "I'm here today for a tour of the building. It's so big! You should've seen my parents' faces when I told them I got the internship."

"I can imagine," Sungmin smiles back. Hyukjae definitely deserves this internship. He just hopes they'll treat him well... well, better than that slave-driver Cho. The very thought of the tall man made Sungmin begin to fume again. 

"Anyway, why are you here, Min?" 

"Me? Uh-- long story, I'll tell you all about it tonight? Dinner, my treat." Sungmin guiltily remembers his promise in return for using Hyukjae's name. 

"Serious?" Hyukjae punches the air in ecstasy. "I'm going to order steak! And four desserts!"

Sungmin shakes his head in amusement at his best friend.

"Sure. But I gotta go now, so see you tonight, okay?"

"You bet, hyung! I'm looking forward to my steak!" 

Sungmin pokes his tongue out before lifting the bucket and walking around the carpark again. He needed to find a specific car-- ah.

Sungmin sets the bucket down at a luxurious car, its black coat gleaming. He checks the car plate again. K-CHO-010186.

Yup. Must be this car. Sungmin decides. 

Guess how much I love you, Cho. Sungmin sneers before lifting the bucket. 

 

***

 

Kyuhyun taps his foot impatiently as he waits for Sungmin to return. 

He's always late. Must be those short legs. Kyuhyun snorts. He'll tell Kyujin to get Hyukjae some insoles tomorrow. 

Kyuhyun twirls his chair around to face the floor-to-ceiling windows and inspects the view. The same view as usual. Skyscrapers, that pancake shop, cars, people, a couple hugging--

Kyuhyun jumps up from his chair and peers out the window, his palms on the glass either side. He thought he must've seen it wrong, but no. That was definitely Hyukjae and some stranger locked in a tight embrace.

He felt his right hand curl into a fist as he watches Sungmin hug Hyukjae. He doesn't know why, but the scene made his blood boil with anger he didn't even know he was capable of. 

Relief courses through his body as they broke apart, and Kyuhyun's eyes follow Sungmin as he proceeds with a-- bucket? towards a -- wait, his-- car.

Why would Hyukjae go to his car?

Kyuhyun got his answer as he watches Sungmin lift the bucket up. Realization dawns on him and his mouth opens in horror but it was too late.

Oil and food waste now adorned Kyuhyun's once spotless car.

 

 
 

 

Another chapter completed! I must be on a roll :D and LONG this time!

So... here's the first bit of Kyumin "interaction"/drama-- thank you for waiting patiently! Sorry if my writing standards aren't up to scratch, I'm trying hard to improve ^^

Again, thanks for reading this fic! Support keeps me writing. I love reading comments too :D

Will try to update within two days! But got lectures now, so may be three. *rewatches suju mini drama for kyumin inspiration*

Did anyone notice that the "010186" on Kyu's car plate is (my ultimate bias) Min's birthday?