One

The Spring of Past Memories

 

Thirteen years later...

 

"Sungmin-ah! One beef, two chocolate, two chicken!"

"Got it!" Sungmin replies, rolling up his sleeves further. 

The sizzling of the pancakes he was making blocks out the noise of the lunchtime crowd and Sungmin is happy business is picking up for his parents. It was the university break and Sungmin was glad he could help his parents out. Even though his mother flicks his forehead and tells him to get a real job, Sungmin knew she was happy to have him around. 

The small pancake shop his parents owned has always been popular, situated in the Apgucheong district in Gangnam. Without this steady business, there was no way they could afford the rent. The shop sticks out amongst the corporate buildings and fancy restaurants like an apple among pumpkins. 

'Kyujin-sshi, here's your order." Sungmin smiled, handing a plastic bag with the pancakes to a middle-aged man, one of their regular customers. 

"Thanks, Sungmin. Everyone at the office loves these pancakes. Even our CEO's son secretly asks for some." 

Sungmin laughs and wishes Kyujin a good day. 

Finally, the lunchtime crowd subsided and Sungmin sits on the steps outside the shop, wiping his head with a towel. He looks at the people bustling by, set against a backdrop that is the giant building-- the largest in Korea-- KM Corporation. 

Sungmin is amused that KM Corporation staff enjoy their pancakes, being an internationally respected company. Rumour had it that the day KM Corporation collapses would be the day Korea's own economy will also collapse beyond repair. Kyujin was their unofficial pancake purchaser, and Sungmin learnt that he is also the assistant to the CEO's son. 

Thinking of Kyujin reminds him of a boy called Kyuhyun, which brings back memories from thirteen years ago... the Spring he spent a week in hospital with the boy two years younger than him. Sungmin has never seen Kyuhyun since. He only remembers the boy's first name, and the promise they made. 

Sungmin had left a letter in the alcove as soon as the New Year arrived, on his 22nd birthday. It's mid-February, but he hasn't gone back to check if Kyuhyun had left him a reply. Part of him was afraid he'd still see his letter there, crushed beneath the brick.

 

****

Later that night, as Sungmin sat down to have dinner, he passed a letter to his parents.

"This was in our letterbox."

"Opuh eet." his dad replied through a mouthful of kimchi. 

Sungmin shrugged and tore the letter open. It didn't look like a bill. 

As he read the letter, his eyes gradually widened.

"Da--dad..."

"Hmm? What does it say, Sungmin?"

Sungmin pursed his lips and handed the letter over.

Sungmin's dad put on his reading glasses wearily. 

"It's not your university grades, is it? Don't tell me you failed! Or mum will hurl pancake dough at you haha!" Mr. Lee laughed at Sungmin's blank face and held the letter a distance away from him, squinting at the tiny cursive print.

 

16th February 

To Mr Hyunwoo Lee and Mrs Haeun Lee, 

This is to inform you that KM Corporation has recently purchased the land your business is situated on.

KM Corporation plans on building an apartment block on this land, therefore we have no choice but to notify you of the planned demolishing of the area which will occur promptly on 20th March of this year. 

We ask that you close your business and remove all belongings before the specified date for your safety. 

Regards,

Land Development Division

KM Corporation

 

Silence fell across the table. 

 
 
A/N: A shorter chapter today :D 
Be prepared for drama XD
Again, thanks for all the support I've been getting!