The Last Hope

SOS (Save our Ships)

*Sekyung’s point of view*

       I wake up and find myself on Jonghyun’s floor.  It takes me a minute to remember what happened, but when I do, my teeth grind together and I swear for revenge.  I think for a little bit and a grin slowly spreads across my face as I discover the perfect plan.  If my plan works out as perfect as I design (why wouldn’t it?), Jonghyun will have no choice but to love me and me ALONE! My grin becomes wider as I work out some details in my head.  I pull out my phone and call my brother, Daehyun. 

*Kiseop’s point of view*

       I wake up to yelling.  It’s Onew Hyung and I hear him scream something about Eli being a bad influence on Taemin.  I assume that those two are official now.  That must be why Onew Hyung is so mad.  But gosh, he doesn’t have to yell so loud- it’s waking everyone up!  Whatever, I’m hungry anyways. 

       On my way to the kitchen, I spot Sekyung walking out of Jonghyun’s room.  Ew; I don’t know WHAT the HECK he sees in her!  She’s scary, especially when she’s grinning like she is now.  I do believe that she is up to something.  I contemplate warning Jonghyun, but considering the fact that she just walked out of his bedroom, I don’t think he’d believe me.  So I decide not to.

 

*Jonghyun’s point of view*

       Oh great, Sekyung is up.  Why is she smiling like that?  Didn’t I just make her pass out?  Before I can ask what the heck is going on, she tells us that she has an errand to run.  Something about her sick mother in the hospital is getting better and she wants to see her.  That must explain her uncharacteristic bubbliness of hers this morning.  She never mentioned her mom in the hospital before, but I guess it must have been upsetting.  I don’t think anything about it though.

*Key’s point of view*

       I wake up to an earthquake.  Well, not literally.  Someone is shaking me roughly.  When I’m awake enough for all of my senses to be fully aware, I notice that the build of the figure is much larger than that of our capturer, who I believe is female.  This creature is obviously male.

       “Things are going to be different today,” the man (I will call him “Bob.”  Our capturer is “Bobette”- hey!  I don’t know their names and I need a way to refer to them) declares in a deep voice.  “You are going to get a good meal and you must eat all of it.”  Hmmm . . . “a good meal” . . . that must mean not-moldy bread and cold water!

       “What about Minho?” I ask about the boy who is still asleep next to me.  “Bob” tells me that the special meal is just for me.  Because I deserve more.  I’m good with that.  That’s when “Bobette” walks in with a steaming hot tray.  Just the look of the steam coming from the plate that smells absolutely delightful makes my mouth water.  Bob leaves the room as Bobette sets down the tray in front of me.  She lifts the lid (yeah, it’s one of the fancy schmancy meals with a lid!  How lucky am I?  Be jealous!) and my eyes behold the most beautiful meal I’ve ever seen!

       All of my favorite foods are on the plate.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much pasta on one plate like this before!  Luckily I’ve been starving so I can actually eat all of this food.  I grab the fork and dig in.  My first bite is almost as big as my mouth.  Bobette laughs when my cheeks puff out.  Her laugh sounds kinda familiar, even through the voice changer mask thing she wears.  In a way, she’s kind of like Darth Vader.  But her laugh freaks me out- I could swear I’ve heard it before; it’s so oddly familiar. 

       I take another bite of pasta and I notice that something is off.  It doesn’t taste normal.  As I swallow, it leaves a nasty after taste and I start having suspicions.  Bobette notices the look in my eyes and freezes with a start.  That makes her mask slip, so she runs off.  I’m starting to feel sick; she must have put something in the food.  My heart starts beating at an abnormal rate and I remember Bob telling me that I “must eat all of it.”  They must have poisoned it; I’m going to die.  But wait!  I didn’t eat all of it!  Maybe I’ll live . . . if only I had a way to contact people.

       That’s when I notice it.  Bobette’s phone.  It must have fallen out of her pocket when she ran.  I hear a car and realize that she’s leaving.  Perfect.  I look through the phone and realize that she has no contacts.  Smart girl.  But I know Jonghyun’s number by heart.  Jonghyun.  My heart twists into knots and my stomach starts beating a mile a minute.  Wait . . . that’s not right.  My stomach twists into knots and my heart starts beating a mile a minute.  I shouldn’t do this; I can’t do this.

       But he’s my only hope.

       My fingers slowly press the buttons until his number is displayed on the screen.  I take a deep breath and press “send.”

 

*Jonghyun’s point of view*

       I’m watching the latest episode of “Hello Baby” when Sekyung bursts through the door.  I ask her if her mom is okay and she gives a blank look.  Then she seems to realize what I’m talking about and mumbles that everything is fine.  She walks over and sits on the other end of the couch.  That’s when my phone rings.  I get up and walk over to the table on the other side of the room- where I left it.  I lazily glance at it and the caller ID shocks me-

       “Sekyung.”  But she’s on the couch and kinda zoned out!  How is she calling me?  She’s probably just sitting on her phone.  Whatever.  I just ignore it and go back to the show, my phone in my pocket.  Sekyung gets up and I notice that her phone is not on her at all.  And she didn’t bring her purse with her when she left.  She couldn’t have called me.  My phone rings again- from “Sekyung” again.  This time, I answer it.

       “Jonghyun!” a painfully voice gasps in my ear.  Kibum?  Why does he have Sekyung’s phone?  And why is he calling?  Before I can ask anything, he starts crying about how he’s going to die.  I don’t know; I can barely understand anything the guy is saying.  I walk to my room and shut the door.  Then I make him start over.

       “I wanted to come back- I really did!  Same with Minho.  We were going to take a walk and then come back.  Oh!  I forgot you don’t know- I stayed outside the house, watching you, the whole time.  I regretted leaving before I even stepped out of the house, but you know my stupid pride.  And on the walk, we were knocked out and taken to a random house, where we were shackled to a wall.  Today I was given PASTA!  Not moldy bread and room temperature water!  But I think it was poisoned; I’m feeling odd after two bites.  Our capturer dropped their phone when their mask started coming off.  That’s how I’m calling you now.  But all in all, I really just wanted to call you to tell you something before I die- I’m sorry and…. I love you.”  Then I hear someone in the background shout and then I hear something (I believe a fist) hit something else (which I believe is Key).  My suspicions are proven when I hear Key shout in pain.

       I realize that I’m crying.  Key sounded really bad.  He might be right about the poisoning; I could barely hear him by the last line- kinda like his voice was leaving him.  Either way, he really does need help, so I call Onew Hyung into the room and tell him everything.  He comes up with a great plan and gets Taemin and U-KISS to come and help.  Then the ten of us (Onew got Miley to keep Sekyung busy) get ready to execute the plan.

       On our drive to Sekyung’s place (Key described the scenery and I recognized it), my heart starts beating rapidly.  I can’t do this.  I tell Onew Hyung to pull over.  After five minutes of telling them to just continue the plan without me, I get my way and go on a long walk around the neighborhood.  All I can think about is Key.  Is he okay?  Was he really poisoned?  Is he really sorry?   . . . Does he really still love me?  I doubt all of them except the first.  That one I’m not sure about.  He might have only said those things to set me up for something.  About the first thing . . . it may have been fake to get me to come faster.  Or maybe he really wasn’t supposed to be using a phone.

        . . . Or maybe he was telling the truth. I highly doubt it.  I believe my first option and continue my walk.  Still, Key never leaves my mind.  I have flashbacks of our best moments- when we were happy and carefree, not expecting an end.  I believed that we’d spend the rest of our lives together.

       It was our one year anniversary.  I blindfolded that crazy ball of fun and wild antics and drove him to our favorite restaurant.  His smile that night couldn’t even compare to the sun; it was so bright.  We got a private room in the back and special treatment (I’m good friends with the owner).  After our delightful dinner, we went on a charming moonlit walk in the woods.  That was when we made the promise.

       It all began when Key turned towards me and said, “Jonghyun, promise me one thing.  If you had to only keep one promise to me for the rest of our existence, I want this to be the one.  Do you promise me . . . forever?”  His big brown eyes were staring straight into mine with hopefulness that made my heart beat faster.  He bit his lip as he waited for my reply-

       “Yes.”

       Some forever, huh?  Just the memory of that almost long-forgotten promise makes my heart twinge in agony.  It almost seems like it’s not worth it to hold on to pointless memories; they only cause pain.  I try not to think about Key from then on, but it’s no use- every other thought leads me back.

       A couple hours later, after wandering around like a drunk fool from all of my heartbreak and such thanks to Key, my phone rings.  It’s Eli; I wonder what he wants. 

       “Yoboseyo?” I answer.

       “Jonghyun!” he gasps. “Thank goodness! You need to get over here NOW; we’re at the hospital.  Key isn’t doing too well- they say he might only have a few hours left, maybe less.  They try not to talk about it in front of him, but he knows.  Jonghyun, he knows!”  Then I start running.  Running faster than I’ve ever gone in my life.