VII

The 'Push and Pull' Experiment (ABANDONED)

It's ten thirty in the morning and Jongin is in his second period class--History.  He usually finds the subject interesting enough to prevent him from taking out his phone...if he didn't have a substitute teacher.  Right now, the substitute is more or less focused on his laptop and not on the students.  

 

 

Buzz. Jongin startles, jumping in his seat, turning his head to check if anyone was looking. Buzz. He jumps again, milder than he did last time.  Buzz Buzz Buzz. Jongin can't be blamed for taking out his phone, after the fifth time it vibrates in his pocket. A notification flashing across the screen shows that it’s a message from Luhan.

 

 

Dance practice is going to run longer than usual, our dance teacher didn't have your number so she told me to pass on the message :)

 

 

Jongin groans, head thumping against his desk.

 

 

That's just ing great.

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

"You told Kris, that you had plans with me after school?" Jongin asks, Chanyeol nodded in confirmation. They're on their way to the lunchroom, after both of their first two periods just ended. The hallway is sparsely occupied by students who think they're too cool for the lunch room and he and Chanyeol are loosely holding hands just for appearances sake.

 

 

"Yeah, he was persistent about hanging out after school this morning. For once, I actually see the results of your plan." Chanyeol replies, grinning and rolling his eyes.

 

 

"See? Why do you doubt me man?"

 

 

"There are plenty of reasons to support my answer to that, Jongin."

 

 

"But, Chanyeol--" Jongin suddenly remembers the extended dance practice Luhan texted him about.  He can either tell Chanyeol about it now and avoid surprising him, or in the lunchroom when Kris arrives.

 

 

Jongin is saved from his decision when Baekhyun arrives.

 

 

"How are my two favorite lovebirds? Jongin, I see you’re wearing your matching bracelet?” Baekhyun says in a tone that makes Jongin want to smack him on the head.  

 

 

 

He does.

 

 

 

“Hey! What the hell? Is that how you greet people now?” Baekhyun grinned, knowing that he deserved that hit.  He leans against Chanyeol and Jongin, smirking deviously.  “You guys are heading to the lunchroom right?”

 

 

 

This time Chanyeol hits him.  

 

 

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll lay off! God, you might want to ask Chanyeol why I'm teasing you because it is his fault.”

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

Great, here comes Kris.  Jongin smiles, turning to face Chanyeol on his right. “Chanyeol, about our date later after school,” He begins, looking up to catch Kris’ gaze when he sits down on the only vacant spot next to Chanyeol.

 

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol mumbles, taking a mouthful of his bread, waiting for Jongin to continue.

 

 

“I can’t make it, you see my dance practice is going to last an hour or two longer than usual and I don’t want to make you wait.” Jongin says, thinking that if Kris doesn’t take this opportunity now to gain some brownie points with Chanyeol he’d personally take it into his own hands to make Kris even more annoyed and jealous than he has been. He's willing to make the man furious.

 

 

“Jongin, you should’ve told me earlier. I was so excited too.” Chanyeol whines. From then on, he pays half the attention to everyone around him except for Kris, watching as the senior snakes an arm around Chanyeol’s waist.

 

 

Smooth, Kris.  Jongin rolls his eyes, cooing at Chanyeol and rubbing his thumb over his lips.  It doesn’t take a genius to find out that Kris was annoyed just by watching the way his eyes seem to flash with anger and the grip he had on Chanyeol to tighten.  

 

 

Just an incredibly observant sophomore.

 

 

He watches Chanyeol space out and he guesses that he just became aware of Kris' arm around him. Idiots. Jongin rolls his eyes, grabbing Chanyeol's shoulder to snap him out of the daze that had him staring at Kris for far too long.

 

 

"Great, I'll see you after school." Kris says, and Chanyeol smiles.

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol has no idea what will happen later, so maybe that’s why he’s ranting to Jongin now.

 

 

“I can’t do this, Jongin. Can you take me with you? Please? I’ll buy your entire dance class snacks. I feel like I’ll ruin the plan--Oh god, what if he asks me how our relationship is going? What if I just blab about the entire thing? , Jongin, I really can’t do this.”

 

 

There’s a large possibility that he will it all up and mess up the plan by spilling out all his secrets the moment Kris looks at him with something akin to a smile. The only reason he managed not to do it during lunch was because of the presence of all their friends, but this time it’s just him and Kris.  

 

 

Crap.

 

 

Of course, Jongin being the good friend he is, laughs.

 

 

He claps him on the shoulder, doubling over in laughter. Chanyeol scowls, shrugging the hand off with an annoyed grunt. School just ended and he barely caught Jongin by his collar to whine about the entire situation. Some students shoot them dirty looks for blocking the hallway and Chanyeol would’ve apologized, but he really doesn’t give a damn right now.

 

 

“Do you hear yourself right now? You sound really reall--”

 

 

“Shut up,” Chanyeol mutters, “What am I going to do?”

 

 

“Well, I have to hurry before I'm late to my dance class, so I'll leave you with a word of advice: don’t throw yourself at him. Don’t let all the work we’ve done go to waste.” Jongin winks, hurrying off to his locker. Chanyeol groans, grumbling in frustration.

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

“Would your mom be okay, if you hang out with me after school today?” Kris prompts after ten minutes of walking with Chanyeol in silence.  Chanyeol was purposely late to meeting up with Kris. He had hoped that the excitement he felt the entire day would fade away.  

 

 

It didn’t work.  

 

 

As soon as he met up with Kris, Chanyeol still felt the flutters in his stomach from seeing the senior (even if it was thirty minutes later than the time they agreed on). Kris had stared at him for a moment before smiling and motioning for Chanyeol to go ahead.  

 

 

It was one of those crooked smiles, that usually had Chanyeol muffling a laugh, but for some reason, Chanyeol felt warm and somewhat reminiscent.  It’s been awhile since that smile was directed at him.  Between Kris constantly ditching him and ignoring him, occasionally going home with him in silence--it’s been a long time since he’s seen it.  

 

 

“Of course, your place is just two blocks away.  Besides she’s known you long enough to know that she can trust you.” Chanyeol can’t help the grin that spreads over his face when he replies to Kris. In return, the senior stares at him with an expression he can’t figure out.  

 

 

He feels like he’s grinning in a way that creeps most of his friends out; with too much teeth, too big eyes, so he schools his face back into a neutral expression.  Chanyeol bites his lips, eyes flickering back and forth to look at Kris and the ground.  

 

Kris smiles, ruffling Chanyeol’s hair with his large hand. “Why are you holding back your smile?”.  Chanyeol tries not to shiver under the touch, blushing and muttering something under his breath.  

 

 

“What?” Kris asks, not catching what Chanyeol said.

 

 

"...Because I probably look creepy." He repeats in a louder voice, lowering his head feeling sheepish. Kris laughs, pinching his cheeks murmuring. “No, you don’t. You look cute.”

 

 

Chanyeol can feel his cheeks burning at the sincere tone Kris has when he said he looked cute and he brings up his cool hands to try and cool them down when Kris looks away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

 

“That’s it guys! Great job, on Thursday we work on polishing up those moves huh?” Boa--their dance teacher--claps her hands, moving to her gym bag to grab a towel.

 

 

She says it in the way she usually says goodbye to her students, which is weird because they were supposed to have a longer session today right? He makes his way over to the dance teacher just to ask exactly that.

 

 

He taps Boa's back hesitantly, "I thought we were going to have a longer session today?"

 

 

Jongin gets a puzzled look from the teacher in return, he opens his mouth to reason. "I-I mean, Luhan-"

 

 

"Forgot to tell you that miss Boa called off the longer dance practice, right miss?" Luhan interjects, nodding his head and widening his eyes. Boa parts , before clearing .

 

 

"Yes yes, I'm really sorry Jongin I completely forgot to tell you guys that...That thing that Luhan just said was cancelled today." Boa says, smirking in Jongin's direction but he feels like it's directed more to Luhan who's standing right beside him.  Practically glued to his side, with almost no concept of personal space. Jongin turns to see Luhan smiling and nodding apologetically.

 

 

He furrows his eyebrows feeling like he just missed something

 

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol misses Kris’ couch. He really does, he thinks when he settles down the couch with a groan, automatically moving around to make himself comfortable then he remembers he wasn’t supposed to show how much he liked it and his posture stiffens. Chanyeol sits up straight, despite how his body reacts to the heavenly couch.  

 

 

Kris casts him a look in contemplation, saying “I did say, you can make yourself comfortable Chanyeol.” Chanyeol can see Kris attempting what’s supposed to be a comforting look, so he smiles back in reassurance.  

 

 

“I’m comfortable, don’t worry.”

 

 

“...Okay, do you want something to drink?”

 

 

Ginger ale. “Water, please.”

 

 

Kris stares at him before going into the kitchen, absentmindedly saying that he was going to wash his hands. The air feels awkward and Chanyeol knows it’s because of him, because how the hell is he supposed to play hard to get? He isn’t even sure how to act around Kris anymore.

 

 

“Chanyeol? Can you come here for a second? ” Kris calls out from the kitchen. Puzzled, Chanyeol heads to the kitchen, only to be splashed by the water dripping from Kris’ hands.

 

 

Chanyeol gawks.  

 

 

“...What was that for?”

 

 

“I said make yourself comfortable, but you’re not doing it. So, I figured some water might loosen you up.” Kris jokes, the faucet is still and the sound of the water splashing across the sink fills the silence when Chanyeol chooses not to reply.  The senior started to look concerned, and Chanyeol sighs trying to make it look he’s about to turn away from Kris, heading back into the direction of the living room.

 

 

“...Chanyeol?”

 

 

Chanyeol rushes to the sink, running both his hands under the water before splashing some water right back at Kris. He flashes a quick smile, eyes gleaming. “You did say ‘make yourself comfortable’ right? You should too.”

 

 

Kris grins, hurrying to the sink.

 

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin sighs, packing up the extra clothes he rushed home for after school, thinking that he was going to sweat through the extra shirt he usually brought. He strips his shirt off, bending down to grab his towel from his gym bag.

 

 

"Jongin?"

 

 

Jongin straightens up with his towel in hand, beginning to wipe up the sweat. He raises one of his eyebrows to encourage Luhan to continue.

 

 

"Uh, I was wondering.." Luhan blinks several times, stopping to look at Jongin. "Yeah? You were wondering...?" Jongin asks, after a few seconds of Luhan blinking. He laughs, running a hand through his hair when Luhan still doesn't reply. He scratches his neck feeling a bit embarrassed when Luhan continues to stare and blink.  

 

 

"Luhan? What were you saying?"

 

 

Luhan swallows, taking a quick swig of the water bottle he was holding in his right hand."If you could put on a shirt on. God, Jongin do you need to flash the entire class?"

 

 

Jongin chuckles, stooping down to his bag to grab his extra shirt, putting it on. "Happy?"

 

 

"Very," Luhan smiled, "But, I'd be even happier if you hang out with me after school today?"

 

 

"Actually, I was going to call Cha--"

 

 

"Great! Grab your stuff. Let's get some street food."

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Don’t throw yourself at him’. Yeah right, if that's even possible. Chanyeol inwardly thinks as Kris asks Chanyeol if he wanted to watch a movie or play a game. Kris isn't even trying to make him feel that way yet he does.  

 

 

So far the night has been good, their water fight had both their shirts sopping wet so he had to borrow Kris' shirt while Kris changed into another one of his shirts. That required two minutes of walking around the house half . The time it took from the moment Kris stripped his shirt off in the kitchen, turned off the faucet and then headed up to his room.

 

 

It was torture for Chanyeol, who just flushed and babbled ‘anything’ when Kris asked about what kind of shirt he’d like to wear, while he was topless. He’d seen Kris shirtless, . Several times actually, but it didn’t stop him from being flustered ever since he discovered his feelings for Kris. His eyes trailed over Kris’ lean form, lingering on his collar bones and his broad shoulders.  

 

 

And right now he was in Kris’ shirt, a little loose around the front and around the sleeves, but they were roughly the same size so there wasn’t that much of a difference. As weird as it sounds, he wishes his uniform shirt never dries. He liked Kris’ scent which he seems to get a whiff of every time he takes a breath, making him want to bury his face into the shirt.  

 

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

 

“It doesn’t matter.”

 

 

“Video game, it is.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Street food? Really, Luhan?” Jongin asks Luhan as they walk through the streets. Their dance studio is roughly ten minutes from downtown where most of the street vendors are, so they’re making small talk for now. It's still too early in the night for the streets to be crowded with people but despite that they walk close enough for their shoulders to touch. The constant brush of shoulders had Jongin feeling giddy with happiness and he struggles to keep a smile off of his face.

 

“Yes, Jongin. Haven’t had some before?” Luhan quips, smirking mischievously. Jongin shrugs his shoulders, grinning at Luhan. “So, where are we headed?”

 

 

“First and foremost, hot dogs.”

 

 

“Hot dogs? Luhan--”

 

 

“Jongin, if you keep questioning my choices in street food you won’t get free food. Besides, the hot dog stand is right there and it’s to make up for forgetting about the whole dance class thing.” Jongin holds up his hands in surrender. “By all means, please treat me to a hot dog.”

 

 

“There you go,” Luhan grins slyly, patting Jongin’s back. He heads to the hot dog stand and the owner seems to recognize him because all Luhan has to say is the usual, taking the liberty to order the same thing for Jongin.

 

 

While waiting for the Luhan to come back with the hot dogs, Jongin takes the chance to quickly text Chanyeol.

 

 

how are things? - Jongin

 

 

torture, damnit. jongin, how the hell am i supposed to act like i don’t give a when kris is acting the way he is :( anyway, how’s dance practice? -  Chanyeol

 

 

oh, it turns out luhan forgot to tell me that it was going to end at the normal time, so he’s treating me to street food (y) - Jongin

 

 

normally, i’d be annoyed that you’d leave me here to get tortured when your dance practice earlier than expected… but since you’re with luhan ;) - Chanyeol

 

 

luhan and free food. i’m having the time of my life man, i’ll text you later. - Jongin

 

 

k. - Chanyeol

 

 

 


 

 

//

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol jumps up from the couch, pumping his fist. “Yes!”

 

 

The words ‘Player 2 Wins!’ flashes across the screen.  Kris chuckles, forcing him to sit back down by tugging on his--Kris’-- shirt. Chanyeol blushes, feeling abashed, quickly sitting back down. Only to realize that his leg was right up against Kris, and he’s really not doing a great job of pushing him back.  Chanyeol tries to subtly scoot to the other end of the couch, which fails badly if the strange look Kris gives him once he gets to the other side says anything.  

 

 

“What are you doing?” Kris asks.

 

 

“Uhh, stretching my legs?” Chanyeol replies, making a show out of stretching his legs and carefully bending his legs just enough so his feet do not touch Kris’ left thigh. The position is awkward and twisted with his left arm hanging limply at the side of the couch and his right leaning on the arm of the couch.

 

 

Kris is still staring at him when gets into the position and he shuffles around. He makes a weird noise reaching over to grab Chanyeol's left arm. Chanyeol lets out a cry of surprise finding himself pulled on top of the senior.  

 

 

, how the heck did I get here? Chanyeol thinks carefully looking making eye contact with Kris, feeling his breath stutter when he finds that Kris' focus is still on him.  They stay in that position for a second or two with Kris’ hand still gripping his arm, Chanyeol really didn’t keep track because he quickly tries to move back.  Kris pulls him even closer and Chanyeol’s too flustered to really do anything except squirm.  

 

The senior puts him in a headlock smirking when he manages to trap him. “Stop, being awkward Chanyeol.” Kris ruffles his hair, eyes widening when Chanyeol starts to grab at his arm.

 

 

“I will, I will, let go Kris.” Chanyeol pulls at one Kris’ arm trying to lean away from Kris’ head because it was tooclose, way too close for comfort.  He gasps, feeling Kris’ breath fan over his neck, biting his lip to prevent himself from making a noise he knows he’ll regret making.

 

 

Eventually the grip loosens just enough for Chanyeol to pull himself away only to find himself at the end of a hard stare from Kris.

 

 

 

“Kris?”

 

 

 

“Chanyeol, what the hell is that on your neck?”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

A/N: was this a long chapter? 'cause it felt really long when i was writing it up xD i still need to througly proofread this so please forgive the mistakes so far ^^;; yeah, i had a really hard time trying to write in both jongin and chanyeol's p.o.v.'s. chapter eight is in bits and pieces and until i really get them organized it might be a while (゚´Д`゚)゚ i also plan for it to be a longer chapter >.> like i said, i already have an outline of the following chapters so hopefully it all goes according to plan (y) watch out for chapter ten. thank you to old subscribers, new subscribers, voters, and commenters, you guys really really make me happy.