IV

The 'Push and Pull' Experiment (ABANDONED)

Study hall is stupid, Jongin thinks. It isn’t necessary to have students trapped in a room for forty minutes to study. Besides it’s not like they study anyway, Jongin thinks as he looks around. Some students have long ago gave up on their text books, some playing finger football or discreetly texting under the desk.

 

 

Jongin huffs, and tries to pay attention to the science textbook in front of him. He hears the sliding door to his classroom open and close, dismissing it as a student who probably tried to ditch.  He puts in his earphones, hoping that listening to some music would help him focus.

 

 

Something insistently taps him in the back, Jongin ignores it. Probably someone who’s looking for a person to mess with. He bobs his head, mouthing the words to the music until someone pulls out one of his earphones.  

 

 

“Jongin, can I talk to you for a second?” Jongin looks up annoyed, eyes widening at the sight of Kris.

 

 

“Um...can’t this wait,” He checks the time on his phone.

 

 

“Twenty minutes? Study hall is almost over, and I have lunch after this.” Kris shakes his head as an answer, motioning for Jongin to follow him when he leaves the room.  He has a vague feeling of what Kris wants to talk about, but it’s best not to assume so he follows closely behind the senior.  Kris shuts the door, and stares at Jongin.  

 

 

“Am I in trouble?” Jongin jokes, seeing that Kris isn’t willing to make any conversation.  

 

 

“...”

 

 

“Kris? Just cause you’re a senior doesn’t mean you can abuse your superiority to make a sophomore leave his class.”

 

 

“I didn’t abuse anything, I told the teacher I needed to talk to you and he let me.” Kris shrugs, finally replying. Jongin nods slowly, raising one of his eyebrows.

 

 

“So... what did you want to talk about?”

 

 

“Uhh.. so you and Chanyeol.” Kris says, awkward and unsure. Jongin barely muffles his laugh with a hand, because Kris wasn’t normally as awkward as he is now.

 

 

“Yes? Chanyeol and l.” Jongin repeats.

 

 

“Since when—”

 

 

“Since two weeks ago, you’ve seen and hea—”

 

 

“No, I mean since when did you... like Chanyeol?” Kris swallows, looking elsewhere and clearing his throat. Jongin stares, wondering how he should go about answering the question.

 

 

“Did you remember that beach trip we had?”

 

 

“Which one?”

 

 

“The one we had two years ago. I started liking Chanyeol when we started getting closer through that beach trip. I mean, we were already close friends but I wouldn’t have talked to him if Sehun didn’t leave, I mean at first I just didn’t want him to be alone, but I don’t know...it somehow brought us closer.” Jongin trails off, glancing at Kris who stares right back at him. He looked stiff, with his mouth pulled down in a slight frown, and his fist curling and uncurling.  Jongin might not seem like it, but he’s observant enough to see the subtle change when Kris is uncaring or just plain pissed off.

 

 

“Why are you asking?” Jongin asks.

 

 

“I’m just...” Kris looks away, voice getting lower and lower.

 

 

“Just what?”

 

 

“I’m just concerned for him, and I’m trying to protect him. I’ve known him since he was eight years old, he’s like family to me. ” Kris reasons, sounding more like he’s reassuring himself rather than Jongin.  

 

 

Jongin scoffs at Kris’ explanation, shaking his head. He feels angry for Chanyeol who had felt abandoned by Kris, who felt as if he’s done something wrong when he hasn’t, and who just happens to have the misfortune of liking this stubborn guy who thinks of him as family.  

 

 

 

“Family? What kind of family are you? You don’t know how many times Chanyeol came to me, wondering what he did to piss ‘Kris-hyung’ off, what he did to drive you into ignoring him for months, Kris. It pisses me off, to see my best friend-” Jongin pauses, contemplating if he should say it or not.  

 

 

“The person that I like, smiling and pretending as if he didn’t care that his closest friend has been ignoring him.”  Jongin blurts out, his temper and sheer impulsiveness getting the best of him.

 

 

Kris glowers at him, his mouth opens attempting to say something.  Jongin doesn’t give him a chance, clicking his tongue. “Family? How the hell are you protecting him by avoiding him? So far, you’ve done a ty job of treating him like family. Stop kidding yourself, I know that you definitely don’t think of Chanyeol as family, Wufan.”

 

 

 

Kris winces at the deliberate use of his Chinese name, and Jongin leaves, walking back into his classroom.  




 

//




 

Jongin doesn’t tell Chanyeol about his argument with Kris. He knows that Chanyeol would only panic, say how he didn’t feel that way at all and that fighting is going to get them nowhere, so they might as well not fight at all. Jongin doesn’t regret it it though. Kris needed a push in the right direction being the stubborn that he was, and Jongin could only hope that the argument he had with Kris, would lead the older to really think about his ‘supposed’ relationship with Chanyeol.

 

 

Jongin figures that one of them should at least get somewhere with the person they liked.  His relationship with Luhan seems to be on a permanent stand-still.  He’s neither ignored nor treated differently by Luhan.  It makes him feel anxious and frustrated; he’d rather be ignored and dismissed than be treated the same way.  




 

//



 

“Damn it,” Jongin groans, there are many downsides to being a teenager but the one thing that constantly bothers him are the increased hormones, or in his case, testosterones that he has to bear through. That means that even the simplest or most childish word like ‘come’ could be interpreted as something else and that his curiosity is at its peak. His thoughts normally straying towards borderline dirty, resulting in the sort of ual frustration that he normally rids himself of when he dances.   In this case, dancing had been the cause of all this.   

 

 

Luhan had taken to wearing tighter jeans and looser shirts or tank tops, distracting him whenever he dances.  And really of all the times he could’ve had these thoughts about him, it just had to be when he was at the lunch table eating with his friends. He looks down, the tent in his pants still as noticeable as it was two minutes ago.   

 

 

“Are you okay?” Sehun asks, staring at Jongin across the table, his eyebrows furrowed in concern. Jongin shifts in his seat grimacing, of all the days that he had to wear skinny jeans.  

 

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just frustrated.” Jongin replies. Chanyeol turns his head switching his attention from the new substitute teacher Jongdae was complaining about, to Jongin with a tilt of his head. He asks to switch seats with Minseok who was sitting beside Jongin, casually slipping his hand into Jongin’s in a comforting hold under the table.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol murmurs anxiously.  The concern Chanyeol always has for his friends is probably one of the reasons why Jongin had become such close friends with him, even if he was concerned for such a ridiculous reason.  

 

 

“I’ll tell you later, come over to my place afterschool.”





 

//




 

“You’re frustrated?” Chanyeol asks, eyes widening.

 

 

“Yes.” Jongin grumbles, opening the door to his house.  He waves at his mom who welcomes him home with Chanyeol politely bowing behind him. 

 

 

“Frustrated as in annoyed? Or frustrated as in ually frustrated?” Chanyeol says, following Jongin up the familiar stairs.

 

 

Jongin sighs, opening the door to his room. “Can you get any louder? My mom's only downstairs you know. ually frustrated.”

 

 

“I only groaned, I don’t even know why you guys were so concerned.” He adds,

 

 

“That’s why you acted like that in the cafeteria? I thought you had some great dilemma or som—”

 

 

“Chanyeol, what did you expect? I had a hard-on in the middle of the day, with our friends and strangers around. I couldn’t have solved it by standing up and heading to the washroom..” Jongin heaves a heavy breath. He sits on his bed, motioning for Chanyeol to sit beside him.

 

 

Chanyeol sits, biting his lips. “How do you normally solve it?”

 

 

“By dancing, but even in dance I don’t get relieved.” Jongin sighs as Chanyeol raises his eyebrow.  

 

 

“Lately, Luhan’s been wearing more and more shirts and tank tops that basically hang off his body and really tight jeans and it distracts me. I’ve asked him once why, but he said it was more comfortable. It’s really frustrating.” Jongin explains.  

 

 

Chanyeol nods understandingly, “That’s exactly how I feel when Kris bites his lips and tries to look cool, or when he’s in a polo.”

 

 

Jongin snorts, tries to is spot-on. “Exactly, so don’t worry about me.  It wasn’t anything big anyway, I’ll just take care of it like a normal guy later.”

 

 

“Jongin, I’m a guy.  Just say that you’re later.” Chanyeol shrugs, lying down on his bed.  Jongin laughs, covering his mouth with the back of his hand.

 

 

“Okay, don’t worry about me because I’ll be later.” Chanyeol grins, grabbing his shirt, and dragging him down to lie down beside him.  Jongin smiles, adjusting his position on the bed. It’s silent comfortable moments like these that makes Jongin think that he’s lucky he has Chanyeol as a close friend.  

 

 

Jongin removes his socks with his feet, too lazy to sit up and take them off with his hands and Chanyeol stares at the ceiling of his room absentmindedly, before muttering.

 

“Maybe I can help, I mean we are supposed to be experimenting.” 

 

 

 

 

-

 

A/N:  oh god, you guys are so nice ; u ; i'm new at this, so i really appreciate any criticism you guys have to offer.  old subscribers, new subscribers, silent readers, and commentersthank you so much \(*T▽T*)/ it makes me so happy to see the comments you guys leave me, you don't even know.  chapter five is finally done! phew, now i have to work on chapter six  (✖╭╮✖) thank you again for taking the time to read this! ^^ one last thing though, should i add a  poster? or a main image for this story? (lol, i'm a noob who doesn't know the right term for it)