Chapter 1 - Cotton Candy

Broken Promise

“So, how are you and Lee Chanhee? Still best friends?” asks your mother as you open your front door.
“That’s a weird question,” you answer, holding your hand over your eyes because the light is way to bright, it almost hurts. “Of course we are...?”
Only, it doesn’t feel like you want to say it. For some reason, you didn’t feel right saying that anymore. What would more than best friends be? Brothers? Maybe that’s what he is to you.

You’ve known Chunji since you were practically born. Born in the same day and the same hospital. Your mothers have known each other since high school, and it was a miracle to have their children born on the same day. You felt like he was your twin brother—well, he might as well have been.

As you walk out you see Chunji waiting in front of your gate. His parents nickname him 'Chunji' because of his heavenly voice. Although now that you think about it, you barely hear his voice because he’s particularly shy in performing. The last time you heard him was at a party you both attended, when he was requested to sing karaoke. It really was beautiful. It sounded as if a choir of angels were singing in front of you, and that God sent him to sing to the world, but compressed into one person.

Chunji had hazel brown hair, and his eyes a cool shade of dark chocolate brown. Chunji was much, much taller than you, and his adam’s apple stuck out like a small ball was lodged in his throat. On the other hand, there’s you, with naturally curly chocolate brown hair that cuts off at your shoulders—your eyes were a shade of a darker brown, which you personally had a strong dislike towards because it was practically the colour of poop.

“Kim Madeline,” he says, waving his hand in front of your face. “You there?”
You were staring into the distance for too long.
“Aren’t you nervous for our first year of senior school?” you ask.
“No,” he says. “Because I have you.”
“Pabo. (Stupid.)” you murmur, loud enough for him to hear.
He laughs at his cheesiness. You smile at the ground. He always made these type of jokes, the ones that would give you shivers. He liked to freak you out, you guess.

You both walk to your first day in senior school. You are wearing a plaid skirt, one just above your knees, a blouse, white knee-high socks and a red ribbon tied around your neck. You have worn a high ponytail, and your brown hair was decorated with a baby blue ribbon. Your fair skin is painted with a light coat of foundation and a bit of eyeliner. Chunji is wearing tight black pants, a casual shirt and a tight white blazer. You stare at his neck. For some reason, it looks unusually attractive—with his adam’s apple noticeable, as usual, and his collarbones outstanding on his chest area.

As he enters the school, he his lips with his hands in casually resting in his pockets, maybe to seduce the girls, who looks as if they would fall on their knees to praise him. You laugh a little.
“Seems you have attracted a lot of attention, Chun-chun.” you say teasingly. Chun-chun was the second nickname you gave to him because you found that it annoyed him most often.
“Can’t say you haven’t either.” he quickly replies in a tone of jealousy. Your cheeks burn thinking about all those boys staring at you.

“Ah, what’s your name?” asks a boy who you find particularly attractive. He has soothing cotton candy pink hair, matching his innocently adorable and somewhat attractive face, and his eyes as large and as a puppy’s. His voice, expression, aura—everything about him was incredibly cute, too cute to explain.
“My name is,” you lean closer and whisper into his ears to flirt a little. “Kim Madeline. You can call me Madeline though.” As you step back, you smile playfully at him, which was highly unusual of you. His friends behind him are left with open jaws and he is left with his face as red as a tomato. Chunji stares at the ground for a while as you both walk to classes.

As you take your seat which was assigned to you by your homeroom teacher, you see Chunji sitting towards the front of the class, surrounded by a circle of girls. You then notice that you sit next to the same guy you whispered your name to. You tap his shoulder.
“What’s your name?” you ask.
“Choi Jun Hong,” he replies while smiling. "Just call me Zelo.”
You smile warmly at him. From the corner of your eye, you see Chunji eyeing Zelo similar to the way how predators eye their prey. You laugh because of this. Maybe he knows Zelo from his past?
“Chunji’s really popular with the girls,” you say slowly. “It’s only his first day.”
“You’re pretty popular with the guys,” he says. “In your first minute.”

As you trade phone numbers with Zelo, Chunji quickly grabs your hand and brings you to the canteen.
“What?” you ask.
“I want to buy you food.” he replies.
“Eh,” you complain childishly. “I’m not hungry.”
“Madeline, I’ve known you for practically my whole life and I know when you’re hungry.” he refutes truthfully.
“Aish, you know me too well!” you yell in reply. Honestly, you didn’t like taking food from people, but it is always just too hard to resist the temptation.

As you eat your free pizza, Zelo nears your table and asks, “Can I sit here?”
“Ani— (No—)” says Chunji.
“Sure you can, Zelo!” you say cheerfully, interrupting Chunji.
“Hey, did you hear, tomorrow, our excursion is at the amusement park!” says Zelo excitedly.
“Are you a child?” questions Chunji harshly.
“Anyway,” continues Zelo, ignoring Chunji. “We are required to pair up. Can you be my partner Madeline?”
Chunji kicks your shin under the table. You look at him and he’s smiling. Is he trying to embarrass me?  
“Sure,” you reply, pissed at Chunji. “I would be delighted. Please take care of me tomorrow.”