004

I Thought I Knew

           No phone calls, no texts, no visits. Luhan and I haven’t spoken to each other in almost a month. The four weeks apart, led to the temptation of checking up on him from the other members, but I feared they resented me just as much as he did. Therefore I opted not to. Instead, I made sure to keep Luhan and the rest of EXO out of sight and therefore out of mind. It proved harder than I thought though. He was everywhere. From the picture beside my bed, to every channel on my TV, on the billboards outside my window while his voice played over and over again on every radio station to my mp3 player.  

            Even when he wasn’t around, he was always right there beside me.

            “You okay, Hee Jin?” Jae Hee, my co worker, sat in the chair in front of my desk while messing with the little trinkets I kept near my computer. I continued to type away, slapping his hand as he touched some of my more personal items, “I’m fine, oppa.”

            He set my stuff down gently, lips pressed in a thin line. I finished up the final page and raised my fingers from the keyboard while letting out a sigh. I rolled my neck around when Jae Hee sighed, “You’ve been working a lot of extra hours recently. Even our boss noticed, he said you should take a break. You haven’t had one in almost a month.”

            I shot him a look before rolling back to my computer to get busy on the next document that needed typing, “I don’t need one.”

            “Are you avoiding something?”

            “No. Just need the extra cash.”

            “Hee Jin.” Jae Hee started but I pushed back from the computer while letting out a sigh. His eyes followed me as I stood up and made the excuse I needed to use the restroom. I quickly walked to the bathroom, my work heels hitting the tile floor hard, causing most of the office to look at me. I ignored their stares and passed my boss’s office when I heard my name being called. I stopped. My boss called my name again, leaving me no choice but to step into his office.

            My boss, Mr. Baek, was a very kind older man. He was lenient to all of his workers but made sure we did our work properly and always had it done on time. I stepped into his office slowly, seeing he was busy signing paperwork, but he looked up as I entered and motioned for me to take a seat. I sat myself down in one of the leather seats and waited.

            “You’ve been working quite a lot, Hee Jin shi. I’d say you’re asking for a raise…promotion even.” His tone was far from serious and judging from the smile on his face, he only meant to tease me.

            “No, I just need the extra money is all.” I nervously ran my hand up and down my thighs when Mr. Baek looked up at me and handed me an envelope. I stared at it, frozen, when he shook it with a chuckle.

            “It’s your paycheck for the week. I’m giving you the weekend off.”

            “But Mr. Baek I—“ His eyes turned stern as he motioned me to leave his office.

            “Just go, Hee Jin shi. Jae Hee volunteered to take your shift and I’m letting him. So goodbye, Hee Jin shi, I’ll see you Monday morning.”

            He looked back down at his paperwork and continued signing. Our conversation was over. I bowed before leaving and found Jae Hee waiting against the wall with a victorious smile adorning his small face. I approached him and punched his shoulder, “How dare you.”

            Jae Hee only clucked his tongue as he leaned down to my eye level, “You need to stop working and relax.”

            He ruffled my hair and turned me around before pushing me towards the exit, “Bye, Hee Jin ah.”

            “Oppa!”

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*

            I sat on the bus home after being pushed onto it by Jae Hee. With my head leaned against the window and my eyes shut, I could feel the aftermath of my nonstop work hit me. Fatigue took its toll and I found myself constantly in and out of sleep.

            “Next stop, Olympic Gymnastics Hall,” the driver announced and I could feel the bus stop. I peeked open one eye at the large venue. Over the front, a large banner hung reading:

July 1st. EXO World Tour.

            Above the large printed words, were the twelve faces I had tried so hard to avoid. Luhan’s pretty boy appearance capturing my eyes first, I sighed and shook my head while shutting my eyes as the bus drove off.

            I threw my stuff down the moment I reached the threshold of my apartment. I kicked off the uncomfortable heels and threw my stuffy blazer to the side before throwing myself onto the couch. I face planted into a pillow and groaned loudly. Not wanting to suffocate myself, I rolled off the couch but made sure I landed on my feet and headed for my bedroom. I sat at my dresser, ridding myself of the accessories when I noticed I still had an unopened envelope resting on the corner of it. I knew exactly what it was and it wasn’t my paycheck.

            I took it. Ripped it open and let the contents of it fall out into my hands.

            It was my ticket to their concert. Tonight.