6

Losing someone you love hurts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click. Jongwoon-ssi is sitting by my side looking at me with a very worried look on his wan face. Click.

 

Click. Jongwoon-ssi sitting by my side fiddling with my game console. Click.

 

Click. Jongwoon-ssi sitting by my side playing a game on my game console. His look of concentration is intense. That music emitting from the small machine seems so familiar. Click.

 

Click. Jongwoon-ssi sitting by my side still playing a game on my game console. His look of concentration is intense. That music emitting from the small machine still seems so familiar. Click.

 

I put the game console in my hands down reluctantly. The pain in my chest started as a low hum almost three hours ago but it has since blown itself up into a hammering ache that makes ignoring it harder and harder. I clutch where it hurts the most, knowing that I will need to get help from painkillers if I want a relatively peaceful night.

 

Strange, before Kyuhyun joined me in this small space, any kind of night does not matter although I specially relished the painful ones the most. I pressed the call button for the duty nurse.

 

“Can you give me the non-drowsy ones?” I asked as I eye the pills in her hands.

 

“Why would you want that? You know you must rest when you have a relapse.” She admonished lightly.

 

Because I need to stay awake and keep vigil over Kyuhyun. That’s my promise to Jungsu-ssi, I replied inside my head.

 

“Please, the non-drowsy ones. And can I have an alarm clock too?” I persist stubbornly.

 

I knew I fell asleep despite my best effort to stay awake. The shrill ringing of the alarm clock woke me up almost instantly. I left my bed and hurried to the chair beside Kyuhyun’s bed, sitting down in it, I checked him for signs of consciousness before settling down to resume playing the game I was forced to stop earlier. It did not occur to me to check if I am still in pain, maybe I no longer am?

 

“Jongwoon-ssi? Jongwoon-ssi?”

 

The repeated calling besides my ear was soft and non-intrusive but persistent nevertheless. Jerking away from the allure of sleepiness, I pry open my eyes and immediately blushed to find myself totally surrounded by Kyuhyun’s brothers.

 

“Why did you sleep in the chair instead of the bed, Jongwoon-ssi?” Ryeowook asks out of genuine concern.

 

“Huh…I…” I stammered struggling to clear the fog still lingering in my brain.

 

“You don’t look well, let me help you back to bed.” Hyukjae offers.

 

“No, no, it’s ok. I was playing Starcraft and fell asleep for a few minutes.” I lied blatantly.

 

“Thank you Jongwoon-ssi,” Jungsu smiled with gratitude.

 

The door opened and Donghae walked in with a large plastic bag. At his side limped Heechul.

 

“Look what I’ve got!” Donghae announces excitedly as he held up the see-through bag.

 

“Pudding?” Ryeowook asks.

 

“Pudding!” Donghae replies with the same amount of joy a child in a sweets shop would.

 

“Is it~?” Siwon starts to ask but is cut short by Donghae’s vigorous nodding,

 

“STRAWBERRY!” Donghae replied gleefully as Siwon smiled.

 

I looked from one face to another in confusion, surely I have never witness strawberry pudding bringing so much joy to an individual, much less a whole family.

 

“Kyunnie awake?” Heechul asks cranking his neck to look around Jungsu at the still figure lain on the bed.

 

“No.” Jungsu replied after stealing an uncontrolled glance at his unconscious sibling.

 

“Remember how when we are young and Kyuhyunnie will never wake up in time for school?” Donghae beams.

 

Every face lit up instantly at the happy memory, I watched in total silence.

 

“This will wake him right up!” Donghae continues with utmost confidence. He opens the bag and starts passing out pudding cups to each of his brothers.

 

“Here.” Donghae presses a pudding cup into my open palms.

 

“Huh?” I was taken aback by h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter