Babies and Birthdays

Nothing Better

            A shy KiTeok walked into the Khuntoria house, holding his mother’s hands. The couple had just finished cleaning up dishes from breakfast and was impatiently waiting with the PD to meet their new baby. Victoria’s eyes lit up as soon as she saw KiTeok. He was smaller than she expected, but the second he bowed and mumbled a barely comprehendible “Good morning Appa and Omma!” in his baby language, she instantly fell in love. Nichkhun could barely contain his excitement, immediately kneeling to eye level with KiTeok and opened his arms. It took a little bit of convincing and bribing with a giant lollipop, but KiTeok finally let go of his mom’s hands and ran happily towards Nichkhun, who picked him up and spun him around. Filming had officially begun, and they were off to a wonderful start.

The couple spent the first day playing in the house and showing KiTeok around. They learned his likes and dislikes little by little. Like any mother would, Victoria made the two of them lunch as Nichkhun played with him in the living room area. It was obvious that KiTeok liked playing with Nichkhun, already getting used to the idea of having a new “appa” and “omma” as he addressed them as such. KiTeok rose from where he was playing with Nichkhun and sat himself in Victoria’s lap, surprising her. She was watching the two play happily, admiring what a wonderful father Nichkhun would be one day.

“Hello there!” she laughed, embracing KiTeok in her arms and rocking him back and forth. “Good thing you still remember me! I was about to get so jealous!” she joked, despite the fact that KiTeok didn’t understand most of what she meant.

“Sleep time.” KiTeok yawned, rubbing his eyes before making himself comfortable in Victoria’s arms.

“Ah, you’re tired from all the playing aren’t you?” She said softly, rocking him back and forth. “Let’s nap then!” she closed her eyes, peeking down at KiTeok who was laughing at his silly omma.

He reached up and patted her eyes with his hands. “Sleep time.” He repeated. He laughed when Victoria pretended to snore loudly.

Nichkhun ran upstairs and brought a baby blanket downstairs, placing it on KiTeok and sitting beside Victoria. After a couple minutes of silence, the couple looked down at the angelic baby, asleep in her arms. Nichkhun was just about to lean in and kiss Victoria on the forehead, forgetting about the cameras pointed at them. She nudged him secretly with her elbows and smiled as they looked at each other lovingly. They’re chemistry was obvious to the crew, who swooned over the way Nichkhun looked at Victoria.

“Are your arms tired?” Nichkhun whispered, looking down at KiTeok.

“A little,” Victoria replied. “But I want to make sure he’s deeply asleep before I set him down.”

They sat there for a couple more minutes before Nichkhun moved KiTeok from her arms to the mat on the ground, fixing his blankets before taking out his camera to take his first picture. Nichkhun then walked over to Victoria, massaging her shoulders.

“Thanks for putting him to sleep, omma” he whispered to her.

If the We Got Married commentators were watching this in the studio, they would for sure go crazy by how cute Nichkhun was being. The PD silently applauded himself for being such a good cupid for this “on-screen” couple.

Since KiTeok wasn’t staying for the night after the first filming, Nichkhun took Victoria out for dinner. She thought they were going to eat Samgyupsal at their favorite place in celebration of their successful first filming, but was thoroughly surprised by the group of people who yelled “SURPRISE!” at her as she walked in with Nichkhun behind her. Everyone she could think of, like Super Junior, SHINee, SNSD, MissA, 2AM, their choreographers and of course 2PM and f(x), were there, throwing confetti at Victoria as she stood at the door in awe.

Victoria turned around to look at Nichkhun, who took her hand and lead her into the crowd as everyone cheered the couple on.

“You didn’t think I’d forget, did you?” Nichkhun whispered in her ear over the cheering. “Did I surprise you?”

“You did! I didn’t even remember today was my birthday! No one texted me like they usually did!”

“That was part of the plan!” Nichkhun said proudly.

The two joined their friends for a night of laughter and celebration, drinking along with their friends.

A drunk Eunhyuk came up behind Nichkhun and Victoria, clinking his chopsticks to his glass. “I think the birthday girl should get a kiss for her birthday!” as he continued to clink.

Nichkhun’s ears turned red immediately, matching the shade of red of Victoria’s face.

“Oppa you’re drunk!” she tried to divert the attention and dragged him down before he made anymore noise, but it was too late, as the entire dining hall cheered “BOBO! BOBO!”

Victoria turned to Nichkhun, blinking at him as if to ask him what they should do. Nichkhun grabbed her face in his hands, kissing her lips quickly as everyone started to cheer. When the crowd was satisfied with the kiss, they went back to their own conversations. Nichkhun stole glances at her the entire night, satisfied with himself for planning such a successful surprise party. He loved how easy it was to surprise her, considering how forgetful she was when it came to her own celebrations. He recalled how she remembered his birthday and prepared so much for him last year and smiled, thankful for such a selfless girlfriend. When the party died down and all the bottles were empty, their friends bid them goodbye, each giving Victoria a giant hug before drunkenly urging Nichkhun to take her home for their own “celebration”, if you know what I mean. Instead of letting Victoria go back to the dorm with f(x), Nichkhun offered to drive her home, to which she didn’t oppose to since she wanted to spend more time with him.

He shut the door for her as he walked around the back, opening the trunk and brining her two boxes. “I have four things for you…” he said shyly. “Well, technically only one’s from me.”

“What it is?”

“Open it can see for yourself.”

The first box she opened contained a new cellphone, identical to the one Nichkhun was currently using.

“Press play.” He said as the screen lit up with her touch.

A familiar voice came from the screen.

“Happy Birthday my dear daughter. I know being over seas is really hard, especially on your birthday. I’m so proud of you and you know that I go to bed each night thinking about you. Don’t worry about us at home, we are doing very well. I’m happy that you have found someone that loves you so much. Dad and I both think he’s going to make a great husband one day. Keep shining like a star! We love you!”

Victoria turned to Nichkhun with tears in her eyes.

“How did you… where did you… what?!” was all she managed to get out.

Nichkhun smiled at her, wiping the tears from her eyes as she leaned in his chest.

“Well, I tried my hardest to speak to them with whatever Chinese I knew… and then had to call ZhouMi for help, but I finally got them to be a part of my surprise!”

“But… but… I haven’t had the time to tell them about you…” she apologized.

“I know, but I got ZhouMi to translate her message… and I’m guessing they don’t disapprove of us.” He laughed, running his hands through her hair. “Now, before you cry even harder, I have three more things for you.”

“This one is from me.” He said, handing her a familiar Robin blue box. Victoria opened it to reveal a Tiffany and Co. charm. Nichkhun put the silver ice cream cone charm on her favorite bracelet, with three charms now hanging from it. The charm bracelet became a kind of memory keeper since her and Nickhun officially started dating.

“This one is from my family… well more like my Mom, Grandma and Cherleen.” She opened it and gasped at the big durian sitting in the box wrapped with a pink bow.

“For the prettiest birthday girl. We miss you, come back to visit us soon please! And remember to call us if Nichkhun is being bad to you!” she read on the card. Tears falling once again from her face.

“Why didn’t you cry when you saw my present?!” Nichkhun joked, taking the box from her before handing her one more.

“There’s more?!”

“Last one, I promise.”

Victoria opened the last box, with 9 red hard-boiled eggs, each with a birthday message written on it from 2PM and f(x) members.

“Don’t worry.” Nichkhun pointed at the stack of polaroid pictures at the bottom of the box. “I took pictures of the messages so you can eat the eggs without forgetting the messages.”

“But… how did you know about the eggs?”

“I called your mom, and she said red-eggs were your favorite for your birthday. I figured you would miss them.”

“I haven’t had them since I was a teenager back in China…” she sighed, grazing her hand past each of the eggs in the box.”

“Well we can make our own each year if we don’t get a chance to go visit.” Nichkhun said, holding her hand in his.

“Thanks for everything, I must have done something really good to find someone as good as you.” She said before kissing him.

Their kiss deepened for a bit before Nichkhun pulled away, remembering the presence of possible paparazzis.

“I’m so tired of sneaking around.” He complained.

“But we have no choice! No rash decisions please!” she comforted him.

“Are you sure you don’t want to run away with me?” he asked.

“Maybe in a couple of years.” She smiled, patting his thigh.

 

-

 

The next time they filmed with KiTeok happened to be February 13th. Nichkhun had been planning for a romantic Valentine’s Day since he couldn’t see her for Christmas or New Years. With the help of their cute baby, he was sure to succeed. Victoria had been half expecting something from Nichkhun, considering how good he was with holidays. It would be a lie to say a girl didn’t expect anything from her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. She wondered what he’d plan, considering this was their first Valentine’s Day and all. He always did little things to surprise her for no reason at all, it’d be hard to top all the things he’s done before.

 

The three of them spent the day filming at the house with the company of MissA. The girls came to visit Khuntoria and their new baby before heading out to practice for their Music Bank performance tomorrow. Nichkhun was supposed to meet Taecyeon and the boys at the studio to go over their performance tomorrow too, which meant Victoria was going to be alone with KiTeok tonight. She was thankful that boy-bands were much more popular during Valentine’s day season as all the fan-girls swooned over them, but wasn’t too happy by the fact that she had to share her boyfriend with the rest of the world.

 

“Onni! Your house is so cute!” Suzy exclaimed. “Even better than I remember!” remembering the last time Nichkhun invited them over to exploit their cooking abilities. “Did the food oppa made taste good, by the way?”

“Of course it did!” Nichkhun said, butting into their conversation. “Shouldn’t you be playing with my baby instead of harassing my girl… I mean my wife?” he said, laughing awkwardly he caught himself before exposing their relationship.

“Yah, I’m giving the onni’s a chance to get to know him before I step in and steal his heart” she said, nodding over to the three other girls who were chasing after KiTeok as he dodged them one by one.

After having lunch prepared by Jia and Victoria, Nichkhun and the girls left for practice at JYPE.

“I’ll see you tonight, text me if anything happens.” Nichkhun said as Victoria fixed his jacket.

A confused KiTeok in Nichkhun’s arms asked “Appa going where?”

“He’s going to work, silly! He’ll be back tonight.” Victoria assured him, picking him up from Nichkhun’s arms. “Kiss him goodbye.”

KiTeok planted a kiss on Nichkhun’s lips. “Appa bye bye!” he waved.

Nichkhun kissed the top of Victoria’s head before leaving. By now the crew and audience had been used to their natural Khuntoria-styled skinship, even though it still gave them goosebumps to watch. While most people considered their skinship a part of the “being parents” act, Nichkhun and Victoria both knew very well it meant much more.

“Looks like it’s just me and you.” Victoria said, tickling KiTeok. “Want to help omma with appa’s Valentine’s day surprise?” she asked.

KiTeok repeated “appa” and followed Victoria into the kitchen, where she took out a replica of the papaya-bok-bok grinder she had seen at Nichkhun’s house when they filmed We Got Married in Thailand. She and KiTeok played around with the contraption before making a small portion to try. KiTeok loved the papaya and fruit mixture as much as Nichkhun did, making Victoria laugh. She was sure this would be a great surprise for Nichkhun. She hid the bok-bok back to the lower cupboards before putting her hand in front of her lips and telling KiTeok “Shh, it’s going to be a surprise!”, to which he mimicked, spitting everywhere as he shushed the camera crew.

Nichkhun returned home at 1AM to find KiTeok and Victoria sleeping soundly in their bed, both smelling like body wash. She had texted him a picture of sleeping KiTeok earlier in the night but he was only able to see it way later. He tiptoed around the bed, picking KiTeok up and putting him down in his crib and tucking him in. The cameras were still on at this point, filming Nichkhun’s return. He pulled up the blanket to Victoria’s chin too before heading back downstairs. He set up a dozen roses on the kitchen counter along with a note before creeping back upstairs. He was on call for 6AM the next morning, and would be out of the house before Victoria got up. The camera’s stopped rolling and he returned to their bedroom, falling asleep next to his girlfriend.

 

 

 

--

 

It's good luck to eat hard-boiled eggs dyed red during celebrations in China, in case that part was a little weird for some readers.