Sunken Hearts

Nothing Better

The summer left as quickly as it came for the idols as promotions for the summer time kept both of them busy on top of filming with Hello Baby. Nichkhun and Victoria found it harder to bid goodbye to KiTeok every time they filmed, realizing how attached they’ve become with their “baby”.

            “Do you remember what day it is today?” Nickhun asked, clicking away at his computer on the couch as he edited the videos of their Hello Baby experience. Victoria sat beside him in confusion as she peeked at the screen, laughing at the snippets of videos.

            “August 1st.” she answered directly absentmindedly.

            “Do you remember what’s so special?” he asked, lifting her face in his palm. It was weird how his big brown eyes still gave her butterflies.

            Victoria paused for a bit…“The day you broke up with me.” She said, pretending to cry.

            “But also our first anniversary.” He said, kissing her on the forehead. “So we should really thank We Got Married for setting us up.”

            Victoria blushed, recalling what an emotional night that was as she spun the ring on her finger around. “Of course I remember.” She said, pecking him on the lips.

            “I have something for you, for putting up with me for the past year.” He joked, handing her an envelope.

            “Oh? What is it?” she asked, shaking the envelope. It’s contents remained silent as she opened the envelope cautiously.

            She gasped as she pulled out a plane ticket marked for March of next year, with the destination marked for Thailand.

            “I can’t wait to take you home and if I could I’d run away with you right now. But since we are still idols and blah blah blah, I asked your CEO and he said you guys will be done promotions by February next year…”

            Victoria wrapped her arms around his neck, keeping her head on the nook of his neck. “What if your parents don’t like me?” she laughed.

            “I have a feeling they’ll find you tolerable” he said, holding her close to him.

            The two stayed in comfortable silence for a bit, listening to each other’s heartbeat. The romantic moment was cut short by the loud cheers of 2PM, entering the practice room with a cake in hand.

            “HAPPY YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SECRETLY DATING FOR A YEAR ANNIVERSARY!” they cheered, startling the couple as they pulled away from each other, face flushed in embarrassment.

            “Thanks guys!” Victoria said, standing up and bowing ever so slightly.

            “You’ve been the best sister in law” Chansung said.

            “Have there been other girls?!” Victoria asked, half joking before nudging Nichkhun.

            “Ani, I swear.” Nichkhun said, holding her hand.

“Yah, pabo. Make sure you’re saying the right things.” Taecyeon said, sending a fistbump at Nichkhun. “Don’t worry Vic, the girls he filmed CFs with don’t mean anything.” He laughed as Nichkhun chased after him.

“I thought you were on my side?!” Nichkhun said, making Victoria laugh. As idols, it was inevitable for interactions with other artists, but it was still hard to see Nichkhun with other girls sometimes. The jealously usually subsided when Nichkhun pleaded with his puppy dog eyes and assured her that she was his only love over a tub of green tea ice cream.

The boys practiced as Victoria hovered over Nichkhun’s computer, searching up “Khuntoria” and being impressed at how sharp the eyes of netizens are at finding “couple items”. Some items weren’t even meant to be couple items but that didn’t stop the imaginations of netizens in bringing the two together. She looked up at the sweaty boys, mesmerized at how hot they were as the danced. Nichkhun’s serious face made him even ier and she found herself trying to recall whether he was sweaty after they slept together. She left to visit Miss A in the other room and came back with water bottles for the boys. Attentive Mama Vic was always observant, making her even more attractive as a wife for Nichkhun. She went home with the boys after practice to cook dinner for them, despite being their anniversary and having the day off, Victoria felt happiest when she could take care of Nichkhun and s. The shameless members had no shame in being third-wheels on Khuntoria’s special date, despite the not-so-subtle hints by Nichkhun.

 

-

 

KiTeok escaped Nichkhun’s embrace for the 3rd time already, both with flour covered faces. Victoria laughed as she ran around the other way in attempt to put more flour on KiTeok. The couple and KiTeok were baking cookies to go with the warm milk basking on the stovetop. After playing in the snow in the morning, the three of them decided to warm up over a movie and cookies. Nichkhun and Victoria had been informed that their last filming days with KiTeok were scheduled for January, giving them enough time for their comebacks in the spring. The two acted as happy as possible so that KiTeok would be able to enjoy the rest of their time together. Even though the past 6 months have been more than wonderful, it seemed so cruel to say goodbye after they’ve gotten to know each other so well. Christmas was just around the corner and Nichkhun couldn’t wait to spend the holiday season together as a “family”.

 

-

 

Victoria snuggled up to KiTeok who was sandwhiched between his loving parents. A Christmas special of Pororo was playing over the laughter of KiTeok. Christmas was just as Nichkhun imagined it, looking out the windows to see a gentle snowfall. Even though it was only the 23rd, the couple insisted on pre-celebrating Christmas as a family since they had to perform at Music Bank for Christmas specials tomorrow and the day after. Even though they had to spend it working, Nichkhun and Victoria were glad to be able to spend it in the same country this year. Nichkhun’s laptop rang just as the movie ended, signaling a video chat. His mom and sister have been nagging him for a video chat with KiTeok since the day they started filming Hello Baby, but there was never a good time for it till now.

“Oh, how cute is my little man!” Nichkhun’s mom exclaimed in English, reaching out to the screen to pet his face on the screen.

“Hi mom.” Nichkhun said, waving slightly.

“Where’s Vic?” she asked, clearly not excited to see Nichkhun.

“She’s just in the bathroom. She’ll be back soon.” He said, looking behind him.

“How is it like being a parent? I watch the segments all the time and it’s so heart warming to see you guys like this.” She sighed. “I can’t believe you guys are parents now.”

Nichkhun laughed. It wasn’t even their actual baby. He could only imagine the excitement when she actually became a grandma. His older brother was nowhere close to giving up his bachelor status so he was pretty much the first in line to produce a grandchild.

KiTeok laughed as he mumbled “hello” to the happy woman on the screen.

“Oh, hi mom.” Victoria bowed at the screen, suddenly embarrassed as she called him mom, forgetting that this segment was going to be aired.

Nichkhun’s mom’s face lit up at the sight of Victoria. “Hi honey! How are you? You look like you’ve lost some weight! Have you been really tired?”

“Really?” Victoria said, feeling her cheeks. “I don’t feel tired, but I guess I haven’t noticed it much. I’m okay, I promise. I’ve been having the tea you and grandma sent me everyday, so I should be good. Nichkhun says it’s bitter so he doesn’t drink it, please yell at him.”

It was pretty obvious even to a stranger that these two were obviously dating. On the one hand, Khuntoria fans would go crazy, assuming that this was all true, but anti-fans would simply think it was scripted. The PD was in no concern for their natural interactions despite the possibility of a scandal since ratings would be high regardless of which kind of fan won the persistent battle for the “truth” behind idol lives.

Nichkhun made a face and used KiTeok to shield himself as his mom made a hitting motion on the screen. “The two kids must be a handful to take care of…” she continued to Victoria.

“Um, mom, I’m here too!” Nichkhun pouted, pretending to be jealous. “You seem to have forgotten that I’m your son… and this little man here is your grandson!”

“Say hello to grandma” Victoria urged KiTeok, who managed to get out hello, but struggled with ‘grandma’, making Nichkhun’s mom melt at the cute sight.

The women continued their conversations as if the two men were not there for a little bit before his grandma and Cherleen appeared on the screen, both excitedly waving in anticipation to meet KiTeok.

“When are you guys going to have a real baby?” his grandma asked in Thai, making Nichkhun blush as they laughed on the other end of the screen.

“What did she say?” Victoria asked, tugging at his t-shirt with eyes wide.

“She asked when we’re going to have a real baby….” His ears were now the colour of a tomato.

Victoria laughed nervously as she greeted the familiar figure she met during their We Got Married days.

“It’s not like that, grandma. We aren’t like that.” Nichkhun denied.

Victoria’s heart sank a little. She knew he had to deny it for the sake of the show and anti-fans, but a little part of her wondered if there was some truth behind that denial. Did he really not see a child in their future? Did that mean she was just another girl on the list of his idol collection? She tried her best to put the thoughts aside as they continued catching up.

The crew thanked the couple as the finished packing up the cameras. KiTeok had left with his parents and only the couple remained in the house. Nichkhun hadn’t noticed the change in expression of Victoria and lied on the bed with his eyes closed, exhausted from a day’s filming and chasing KiTeok around.

Victoria absentmindedly looked out the window, thinking of the conversation earlier with Nichkhun’s family. Nichkhun got up and held her in a back hug, wrapping the two of them in the blanket.

“Are you hungry?” he asked. He was supposed to bring her home later but the two wanted to spend some time alone before returning to the world of third-wheeling members.

“A little… but I think I’m nervous for tomorrow’s performance… something just feels tense.” She mentally complimented herself for finding such a good excuse for her sulky mood. She didn’t want Nichkhun to know that she had already thought about their future with children… who knows how he’d react.

“Are you sure that’s it?” he asked, turning her around so that she rested her head on his chest.

She nodded slightly, the mental praise from before turning into a mental beating. How did he always know how she was feeling?!

“Honey you’re a bad liar…” he promted, resting his chin on her head.

“… I think it’s just that speaking to your mom made me miss home… and with KiTeok around it made me think how hard it must be to let my child go.” She meant to use my child in hopes that Nichkhun would correct her, saying “our” child instead.

Nichkhun, however, stayed silent for a little bit as if he was replaying childhood memories. “I can’t imagine being a parent any time soon. I mean, the boys and I are pretty much at the “peak of our bachelor statuses”… I don’t think any of us are ready to be actual parents yet. I want to have kids early, but there’s so much to think about…” he sighed, caught in a dilemma.

Victoria remained silent, hoping he’d her into his dilemma. When a comfortable silent fell over the two of them, Victoria put on a fake smile and asked what they should eat for dinner that night. Perhaps it was the stress, but Victoria suddenly felt a distance between her and Nichkhun, their once defined future becoming blurry.