Little Red Box

Nothing Better

“Umma you’re home!” Sulli chirped as a walked through the door. “How was your last date with appa?” I guess manager oppa updated them about our divorce after we left the 465 day party.

            “Yah, don’t ask about that, pabo!” the other girls hushed in hopes to not hurt my feelings.

            “Oh, it was okay… better than I thought, actually. I only teared up a little. He has a schedule now so we only got to say a fast goodbye. He was really weird though…” I went on to explaining what happened at the parking lot, leaving the kisses out of the story, of course.

            “Omo! How cute! Hurry up and open the box! He totally likes you for real!” Krystal cheered.

            “You kids are too nosy. I’m going to open it in my room.” I said as I excused myself, locking the door behind me. Shortly after, I heard 4 sets of footsteps creeping by my door. Nothing unexpected from my silly daughters, I thought to myself. Slowly but surely, I unwrapped the box, making sure not to rip any of the packaging, but more to give myself time to prepare for what I’m about to see. It felt like I was receiving a gift from a crush as a high school girl all over again.

            There was an envelope sitting on top of a layer of wrapping, with a familiar looking “To my dearest wife, Victoria” written on it. I took a deep breath before opening it, closing my eyes in fear of what I’m about to read.

           

            Dearest Victoria,

 

            When I saw the video telling us about the end of our marriage, I wished it were a joke, some sort of mission the writers set up… but when I figured out it wasn’t, I couldn’t stop myself from feeling angry and disappointed. I wanted to push all the cameras away, to run outside and find you, to see if you got the same letter, and to see if you’re as upset as I was.

            Coming into this “marriage”, I thought it’d be like any other show. Our sunbae-nims always told us that this was all a show, and hardly anyone ever falls in love since their busy realities keep them from being the “married couple” people see on TV, but at some point in the last year, as we shifted from our awkward meeting to getting to know each other for real, I began to realize that I truly love you, not only as a virtual wife and co-worker, but as a lover.

            If you feel the same way, then continue reading… but if you think I’m a complete creepy person at this point, it’s okay to throw the letter away, hehe. I trust that you won’t though.

            I know I’ve said multiple times that I wished this marriage was real, and although people think that it’s simply a clever way to gain popularity for Khuntoria, I can tell you sincerely that I meant it every time I said it, and I find myself smiling at the thought of being truly married to you. I know it’s hard, as idols, and probably really stupid for even doing this, but I want you to know that I want you to be my girlfriend. None of that virtual relationship anymore, I want Khuntoria to be real, and we can make everyone jealous.

            Jin-young hyung got a call from Soo-man hyung the other day, and called me into his office, asking about the reality behind Khuntoria. I told him the truth, about falling in love with you, and told me that Soo-man hyung had a feeling this had happened from seeing us interact (that’s kind of scary, considering I thought we usually acted very strange to each other off screen…). But long story short, the two hyungs told me that though our companies’ policies are horribly strict, the worst thing they can do is break up couples, and they simply don’t have the heart to do it anymore. Apparently after the whole Jonghyun “scandal”, they’ve realized that as long as we all stay professional in front of other people, it’s really less harmful for us to all date behind their backs. They said to me that if I truly wanted to keep you in my life, I’d have to fight for it, to make it clear to you how I feel. Soo-man hyung pretty much threatened me to treat his little princess right. See, I told you I should call you Princess!

            This is why I’m asking you, through this letter, because I’m scared to see your reaction, if you’re willing to work this out with me, to be my girlfriend amongst all the pressure of being idols. I promise I’ll be there for you no matter what, despite not being able to hold your hand in public for a while. In the box is a ring, a promise ring to show my sincerity. I know we can’t wear our wedding rings anymore, but if you want to fight with me, wear it in place of our wedding ring, and I’ll know how you feel.

            I’ll cut the cheesy stuff, because I know you’re probably tired of it. I just want you to know that even though it may seem like I’m nice to every girl, you’re the one I think about at the end of the day.

            I really really really like you, Victoria.

 

                                                                                                From your pabo Nichkhun

 

 

Victoria breathed a sigh of relief. This wasn’t at all what she expected. She didn’t know what to expect, but she definitely loved what was in the letter. Slowly, she dug to the bottom of the box and found a little red box, with Cartier printed in gold on top. She gasped as she opened the box, looking at the simple platinum band with a small diamond wedge into it. Taking it out, she saw “NHxSQ” engraved on the inside. She loved how he paid attention to such small details, and immediately put it on her middle finger. Satisfied as she held her hand out in front of her, letting the reality of all of this sink it. How is it possible for someone to be this perfect? She thought to herself.

 

-

 

A nervous Nichkhun checked his phone for the 100th time that night in the practice room. He sighed to himself as he saw no notification of any kind. For all he knew, Victoria might be on a date with someone he doesn’t know right now, his gift thrown in a garbage can somewhere.

“Yah hyung, stop worrying! You and Victoria were pretty much dating before anyway. No one can resist your charm.” Junho assured him.

“Yeah bro, don’t worry. She’s probably just thinking a way to answer you. I mean, she is a girl after all… who knows what their complex minds make them do.” A sweaty Taecyeon said.

“Holy, it’s already 3AM? Let’s go home. I’m so tired and definitely getting too old for this.” JunK said as he rolled on the floor, giving up on standing all together.

Nanananananananananana… Nu ABO… Nanananana

“Oh My God! I know who it is!” Wooyoung screamed. “Hurry up and pick up the phone hyung! Don’t hit the reject call button by mistake”

Carefully, Nichkhun looked at his phone, a picture of him and Victoria on the screen. With the biggest smile on his face, he clicked the small green button.

“Yeobseo? You haven’t slept yet?” He asked.

“Ani, the rest of the girls are up too, and have been asking me questions about our last date all night.”

“Oh really? What did you tell them?”

“I told them you were a complete jerk and just left our family, so I’m keeping them and raising them as a single mom, haha.”

“Yah! I never said I didn’t want our daughters, I only divorced you!” he joked.

“Fine, I guess I’ll just take this ring off then. I didn’t want it anyway!” she retaliated.

“You know I’m just kidding! Wait, take it off? You mean it’s on right now?”

“Maybe…” she said shyly.

“I can tell you’re blushing right now. But I’m glad you put it on. I was hoping you would, and not calling to call me creepy.”

“Haha, I thought you were very confident all the time? Aren’t you a ladies man?”

“Lady. Not plural. Just your man.” He smiled. Love really does make someone greasy, he thought.

“Yah. We’re still here you nasty!” Yelled Wooyoung from behind. The 5 boys laughing at Nichkhun as they eavesdrop into the conversation.

“Oh, you’re still at your schedule?” Victoria asked, even more shy all of a sudden knowing her 2PM brother-in-laws heard the entire conversation. “It’s already 3AM! Aren’t you tired? Did you eat? Omo, it’s gotten colder! Are you okay without your scarf!?” she asked as her wife instincts kicked in.

“I’m tired, but hearing your voice makes it better. We just finished and are heading home now. We’ll grab food on the way so don’t worry. They don’t call us beasts for nothing! Shouldn’t you be sleeping? Or were you too busy thinking about me? We get a day off tomorrow anyway so we’re probably going to hang out for a while.” Nichkhun explained as he packed up his duffle bag and zipped up his jacket. “What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Already checking up on my schedule? I have tomorrow off.”

“Well, would you like to see me tomorrow?”

“What? How?!”

“I’ll figure it out with our managers. But just message me when you wake up tomorrow and I’ll see you!”

“You’re the best, Nichkhun.” Victoria smiled.

“You bring it out of me. But before these guys starve to death, I’m going to go. Hurry up and sleep and I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodnight babe.”

“Babe? Since when did we agree on that nickname?” Victoria loved it secretly

“Since you agreed to be my girlfriend.”

“YAH! WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE YOU HERE.” Junho yelled from the door.

“You better go. Goodnight, boyfriend.”

Nichkhun smiled as he put his phone in his pocket and headed for the van.

 

“I’m so jealous. I wish I had a girlfriend!” Wooyoung complained. “Look at how happy this jerk is. He’s totally in love and stuff. Ugh.”

“Yah, Nichkhun hyung you are so cool. I wish I was romantic like you.” Chansung complained from the backseat.

“You have to have a girl to be romantic with first!” Junho said, fist bumping the other members as they picked on the poor maknae.

“Nichkhun hyung you should totally buy us food tonight since it’s such a big night.” Junho said, hoping his love struck hyung will agree to whatever he says.

“Sure, since I love you guys!” Nichkhun said absently, as he continued to stare at his phone screen.

“Stop staring at her! You’ll break the screen!” JunK joked.

“Can she come over to make us food tomorrow?” Taecyeon asked. “You’re the only one lucky enough to have tried her food. As our future sister-in-law, she should come bless us with her wonderful cooking!”

“Yah, she’s not our maid!” Nichkhun defended.

“We know, that’s what Chansung is here for!” Junho laughed as they all high-fived. “We want to tell her how much we love you guys together. Hyung just invite her over. We promise we’ll be good tomorrow!”

“Fine.” Nichkhun said, texting plans to the two managers. “I’ll have her come over tomorrow. Embarrass me and I will personally strangle all of you one by one!” he threatened.

“Bah, there’s nothing she hasn’t seen before, don’t worry!” they all assured him.