My SOUL... er SEATMATE

I DON'T BELIEVE IN LOVE

“See you!” I waved back.

I took a few casual steps away from his house then turned around. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach when I saw that Hangeng was still outside the door and smiling at me. I pretended to be cautious of the street so I looked left and right so that he wouldn’t notice. When I made sure that I was quite far away, I literally slapped my face because I couldn’t take off that huge grin. I passed my chubby cousin cow’s house, entered like a boss then went up to his pink room.

“Sungmin!” I knocked.

There was no answer.

“Hey, chubby cow!” I knocked again, louder this time.

Still no answer.

“PLUMP PUMPKIN!” I shouted “STILL ALIVE THERE!?”

And there was still no answer. I twisted the door knob and my mental palm met my mental face when I realized it wasn’t locked. I entered his room and I noticed that his school bag was carelessly left at the middle.

“There you are,” I said when I saw the bathroom door open “I’ve been knocking—“ I stopped when I saw him in front of the mirror, his face covered with toothpaste foam and his expression unprintable.

He saw me in the reflection and got surprised.

“Reejul Hrung!” he said while still brushing his teeth.

“You’re aware that half of your face is now covered with foam, right?” I said “and I hope you didn’t just empty your new mouthwash there…”

“Ugh prease don’t ashk…” he continued to brush wildly.

My cousin has gone cuckoo. I just shook my head.

“I just came to get that hair wax I ordered you to buy,” I casually said.

His eyes grew wide then he hurriedly spat out in the sink.

“Hyung, I’m so sorry…” he worriedly said “I completely forgot to go to the grocery on my way home… please don’t kill---“

“That’s okay,” I just shrugged “just don’t forget tomorrow okay?”

Sungmin stared at me for a while… as if I just grew ten arms on my forehead. I patted his cheek and left him to get back to his crazy brushing.

 

I went home after that. I went straight to the kitchen to greet my mom then offered to help clean up the dishes after dinner. It was completely disturbing that everyone in the house stared at me the way Sungmin stared at me a while ago. What’s wrong with the world? Is it a crime when I start to help and forgive? Why are they all surprised at my behavior?

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna be acting weird around me too?” I said as I picked up Heebum from the desk and held him in front of my face.

He stared at me… looking bored.

“That’s why I love you, you little rascal!” I cuddled him tight and he tried to get out of my grip. I dropped him on the bed then jumped beside him.

He crawled to my pillows then laid there like a prince.

“Can you explain what’s wrong with me?” I asked him as I his fur “I don’t know why I’m feeling this way. I mean… I just met this guy… he’s new at the neighborhood, I’ll ask if I can take you there…”

Heebum started to get a bit sleepy so I shook him.

“Hey are you even listening to me?” I said “anyways… it’s not that I’m feeling something for him. I just can’t get his smile out of my mind. His voice and his laugh…”

Heebum yawned.

“YOU WON’T YAWN LIKE THAT WHEN YOU SEE HIM AND I’M NOT GONNA GIVE YOU ANY OF HIS BEIJING FRIED RICE!!”

 

The next day, for some unknown reason, I felt excited to go to school. I left a bit earlier than usual then went to Sungmin’s house. We always went to school together since we were young and it developed as a habit already.

“Min, let’s go that way for a while…” I said while hiding evident joy.

“Why?”

“We’ll be picking up a new student!”

We reached Hangeng’s house and my stomach churned when I saw him outside the door. He was leaning against the wall and he looked amazing wearing our uniform. The instant he saw us, he smiled and waved. I introduced Hangeng and Sungmin to one another then the three of us walked to school together. It felt weird but I could get used to it!

“So, let’s see your schedule,” I said to Hangeng

“Here, my first subject’s with Mr.Choi,” he handed me a piece of paper

“HEY WE’RE CLASSMATES!!!” I excitedly said and then I virtually died when he wrapped his arms around me while jumping.

 

The instant the three of us entered the room, I noticed that Sungmin’s expression changed and he looked uneasy. I shrugged it off and believed that he’s gone crazy for real.

“You can sit here if you like,” I said to Hangeng while pointing to the chair next to mine.

“Sure, we’ll be soul… er, seatmates!” he laughed.

I almost went crazy. I mentally slapped myself. Kim Heechul! What’s wrong with you!? It’s not a big deal, he just got confused in his choice of words because he came from China! Keep calm Heenim and stay pretty.

 

“Hyung…” Sungmin approached me “hyung that was my seat…”

“Be nice to the new classmate Min and go sit at the back,” I pointed out “there, that seat’s empty.”

Sungmin looked at the seat… then looked at the one sitting beside the empty chair. It was Kyuhyun. That tall and quiet kid flashed a rather evil smile at Sungmin. It was a menacing evil smile… but it still couldn’t beat mine.

“Go on, Min just take that seat there,” I said with a hint of authority in my voice that always made Sungmin follow my every word.

“But Heechul hyung—“ he tried to complain.

I gave him the do-what-I-said-or-your-dog-will-die-a-horrible-death look.

“What’s wrong?” Kyuhyun stood up “I’m not gonna bite!”

Sungmin glared at him while still standing beside his original seat.

“I only bite pumpkin pies you know…” Kyuhyun smiled mischievously.

“OKAY CLASS,” Mr. Choi suddenly appeared out of nowhere “ALL THOSE WHO REMAIN STANDING SHALL SPEND LUNCH BREAK IN DETENTION.”

All of our eyes turned to Sungmin and Kyuhyun.