Pumpkin Pie

I DON'T BELIEVE IN LOVE

After nearly an hour, I’m finally done with the last “I WILL BE A GOOD BOY TOMORROW” phrase! Hyukjae finished a few minutes ahead of me.

“Take your time Sungmin,” he said “I’ll wait for you.”

“Thanks!” I smiled at him as I forced my hand to hold on.

“Okay boys, you two better be good tomorrow…” Mr. Kim Jongwoon said when we passed our papers to him. He the back of his turtle and nodded at us to go home.

 

We walked together with aching hands and hoped it would be our first and last time in detention.

“Was that your girlfriend?” Hyuk suddenly asked me.

“Who?”

“The one you waved goodbye to earlier…”

“OH!” I laughed “that’s my cousin. He’s a guy.”

“HE’S A GUY!?” Hyuk looked utterly surprised and I laughed again.

“That’s a common reaction of people towards him!”

“No offense Min,” Hyuk said “but he looks prettier than my ex.”

“That’s a compliment for him.” I just said

“Hey Min… can I ask a favor?”

“What kind of favor?”

“Can you ask your cousin some info about his friend? You know, the one who just smiled at me…”

“I’ll try…” I said “Heechul hyung’s very moody and it’s quite hard to press him with questions most of the time…”

“Oh please please…” Hyuk insisted “I’ll give you my allowance for the week!”

“Keep your allowance” I smiled “my dad owns a huge company… so money’s not really a problem for me.”

“Then I’ll just find you a girlfriend!” Hyuk continued to bribe “that is, if you don’t have a girlfriend yet…”

I thought about the offer for a while…

“Or I’ll just give you lots of food! Please—“

“Burgers would do!” I finally said and suddenly felt hungry

“SO YOU’LL DO IT!?” Hyuk excitedly asked

“Sure!” I nodded happily and thought about all those burgers I could stack inside my pink bag.

“Here’s my number,” he gave me his number when we reached the gates “just text me tomorrow during lunch time okay?”

“Okay then!” I said and then I suddenly remembered that I left something in my locker… oh stupid!

“Hey, aren’t you coming?” Hyuk looked back at me

“I forgot something in my locker, I’ll just see you tomorrow!” I waved at him and he waved back. He looked happy and very jumpy as he walked.

 

Ugh. How could I be so forgetful? I can’t believe I almost left my homework and my little pink notebook. I’ll need that notebook when I go to the grocery on my way home.

 

I walked back to the empty corridors and headed straight to my locker. After that I decided to just go out from the back gates rather than to walk all the way back to the front. As I walked, I thought about Hyuk’s offers earlier. Why did I take long to agree when he offered a girlfriend… and I didn’t need to think twice when it came to food? What’s wrong with me?

 

I reached the grassy fields of the school as I continued to think about my tummy issues. I stopped walking when I heard a voice. Someone was singing…  and I just had to stop and listen. I could tell that it was a guy but I couldn’t find where he is.  I followed the sound. He must’ve been behind that huge tree near the corner of the field.

 

It seems weird that I’m stalking a singing stranger when I should be going home. But I just can’t help it. That voice. It’s beautiful… so heavenly and relaxing in the ears. I can sing too and I know I have a great voice… but this sounded different. Admiration mixed with a little envy flooded me. Maybe I should stay here at the other side of the tree and wait for him to finish… and then I’m gonna shake his hand and ask him to sing again and again and again because I can’t get over his voice!

 

 

You look so cute when you smile

Please stay for a little while

It’s not a joke… not a lie

I just want you to be mine

 

 

I smiled to myself. He must’ve composed this song all by himself and dedicated it for someone special. Oh such a lucky person that would be! I stayed on my spot and listened more…

How to get your attention?

If you stay in detention

I don’t know what else to do

So I wrote this song for you

 

What a weird way to express his feelings. Detention really is a torture and you can’t win hearts there! Great idea about writing a song, though. It would be a surefire way to get the attention of that special one!

 

You don’t see me… I’m watching

You’re not aware… I’m waiting

I hope you could really see

That I want you here with me

 

You look so cute when you smile

Please stay for a little while

It’s not a joke… not a lie

Can you be my Pumpkin Pie?

 

Those words and that voice took long to sink in. I looked like an idiot, standing behind a tree, staring at the distance while smiling to myself.

 And then it became quiet… and I realized the song was done… and the one singing was standing right in front of me.

“SUNGMIN!”

“KYUHYUN!!!??”