Nine

Life as Mrs. Kim Myungsoo

“I feel like a jerk for doing this to you.”

 

Myungsoo’s head was hung low as he rubbed circles into your hand with his thumb. It had only been two days since Daejung’s birth, and your husband had to leave for Japan to film a drama. He plead with the drama’s director, begging him to postpone the filming just a few more days so he could spend more time with his newborn son but the director refused. Myungsoo, defeated, had just told you the news.

 

“We’re going to be fine here. Don’t worry.” You tried to reassure him but it fell on deaf ears.

 

“But what about Daejung?” He glanced at the crib near the bed, where his son was sleeping soundly. You and your son had to stay at the hospital for at least three more days due to Daejung being premature.

 

“He’ll do fine. The staff and I will take care of him.”

 

Myungsoo’s mouth turned down into a frown. “And what about you? How will-”

 

Chuckling, you silenced him with a kiss. “Stop worrying too much!” When you pulled away, Myungsoo leaned in for another but you smacked him on the arm. “Go. You’ll miss your flight.”

 

Pouting, Myungsoo picked up his bags. Walking over to the crib, he kissed Daejung’s forehead. “Daddy will come back soon,” he whispered, his son’s hand, “I promise.”

 

Your heart softened at this gesture. God, why does Myungsoo have to be so perfect?

 

As he exited the room, Myungsoo kissed you once more, vowing that he’ll call and text everyday. Once he left, the place felt oddly quiet, save for Daejung’s soft breathing. Just then, Junho entered the room with a bag in his hand, his feet loudly thudding against the linoleum floor. Once he saw the baby sleeping though, he pretended to tiptoe across the room. You laughed seeing the huge, six foot tall bodyguard scurrying in on his toes. Junho stopped at your bedside with a smile on his face, putting the bag on the ground beside him.

 

“How are you feeling? I honestly thought you were dying when you went into labor. Your screams.” He covered his ears.

 

“Ouch. I think I went deaf for a while.”

 

You stuck your tongue out at him. “Try pushing a watermelon out of your . See how much that hurts.”

 

He wagged his finger in your face. “A mother should never curse in front of her son.” He turned around and looked at the crib. “Speaking of which, I brought presents for you and him.”

 

“Junho, you really didn’t have to do that-”

 

He held a finger up, signalling for you to be quiet as he lifted various toys out of the bag. Rattlers, stuffed animals, and educational toys were just some of the wide array of gifts.

 

You were shocked at how much he brought. “Protecting me and Myungsoo is enough. You really didn’t have to do this.”

Junho took out the last toy from the bag. “Nah, you earned it. Seeing all the crap you had to deal with made me feel bad. And besides, I think of you as family. Being your bodyguard for the past two years has made me really attached to the two of you,” he confessed.

 

Moved by his little speech, you sprang up and hugged him. “Thank you so much. I owe you.”

 

Junho was surprised at your sudden action but hugged you back. “Aw shucks, you’re making me feel all gooey inside,” he joked, prying your arms away. “Didn’t the doctor tell you not to get up without assistance?”

 

“Yeah but-”

 

A knock on the door cut you off.

 

Putting his business face on, Junho got up and answered the door.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can I visit _______?” A very familiar voice requested.

 

After a brief moment, Junho popped his head inside. “A guy wants to talk to you. Is it okay?”

 

You were confused. All of your friends had already visited. “Who is it?”

 

“He said his name’s Saehyun? I already checked him.”

 

A knot grew in your stomach. “Yeah, fine, let him in.”

 

As Saehyun entered the room, Junho said to you, “I’ll be outside if you need me.”

 

Swallowing, you nodded, and looked at your ex-boyfriend. Saehyun hasn’t changed much since the last time you saw him, which was when he ran off to the tabloids and lied about Myungsoo to ruin his image.

 

Saehyun shoved his hands into his pockets. “Hi.”

 

You narrowed your eyes at him. “What are you doing here?”

 

“To apologize. For spreading false information about Myungsoo. For interfering with your life. For... for everything.”

 

You were taken aback. You didn’t expect his response.

 

Saehyun went on. “I don’t know why I did it. I-I guess I was jealous of Myungsoo? I really don’t know. When I found out you guys were married, my world just kinda froze. At that time, I still wasn’t over you.”

 

He avoided your scrutinizing glare.

 

“I drank some alcohol. Then that idea came into my mind. Maybe if his reputation was ruined, you’d come back to me.” He barked out a bitter laugh. “My thought process was flawed, I know that. But hey, I was drunk.”

 

“When Myungsoo’s publicist talked to me though, I wanted to slap myself. What am I doing ruining a happy marriage? So I went home and thought about everything I’ve done. I’m a scumbag, I know, but I really wanted to turn my life around so the first thing I wanted to do was apologize to you.” He looked at your crossed arms. “You know, you don’t have to forgive me. I just wanted to get this off my chest.” He turned to leave the room but you stopped him.

 

“Wait, Saehyun!” you called out.

 

He looked at you expectantly.

 

“I... I accept your apology.”

 

“Really?”

 

You nodded. “Thank you. It means a lot.”

 

He came closer. “I know that it can’t make up for all the things I’ve done.”

 

“Yeah, I know.”

 

Saehyun walked over to the crib. “Do you mind if I take a closer look at him?”

 

“Go right ahead.”

 

Saehyun peered inside the crib to look at Daejung, who was whining. “I think he’s hungry.”

 

You shook your head. “No, he just wants to be picked up.”

 

Saehyun looked at you, and you motioned for him to carry your son. Hesitantly, Saehyun picked up Daejung, who calmed down.

 

He smiled at the baby, who only stared with blank eyes. “He’s gonna grow up to be a model. I know it.”

 

You grinned at him. “Nah, I want him to become a doctor.”

 

Saehyun rolled his eyes. “That’s so typical.”

 

“At least he’ll save lives instead of strutting around on a catwalk,” you retorted.

 

Chuckling, Saehyun laid your son gently in your arms. “I gotta go. Thank you for forgiving me.” He took one last look at you. “Have a wonderful life with Myungsoo. You deserve it.” With that, he promptly left the room.

 

You gazed down at your son, who was giving you a baffled expression, if newborns could even do that.

 

“Oh, you’re wondering who that is? That’s... that’s...” You furrowed your eyebrows together. What is Saehyun to you now? Finally, you found the right words. “He’s just my... friend.”