Eleven

Life as Mrs. Kim Myungsoo

“Mommy, look!” your three-year-old son yelled from the playground

 

You briefly glanced up from your book. “Mmm hmm that’s great Dae-” Your eyes bugged out from your head once you saw that Daejung was hanging from the monkey bars upside down.

 

Jeez, not again.

 

Fearing for his safety, you sprinted towards him and quickly pulled him off the playground.

 

The toddler sulked as you put him down on the ground, crossing his arms in disapproval.

 

You crouched down so that your faces were level. “This is the third time I’ve told you not to do that.”

 

Daejung looked away. “I know.”

 

“Then why’d you do it?” you questioned gently.

 

“Cause.”

 

“Because what?”

 

He didn’t respond.

 

You fought back a smile. Like his father, Daejung was quite stubborn.

 

Thinking for a moment, you compromised. “How about some ice cream?”

 

......................................................

 

You watched your son as he happily dug into his cup of the frozen dessert. He resembled Myungsoo so much that it hurt. From his nose to his mouth, he inherited almost every one of his father’s facial features. The only differentiating characteristics were his eyes and ears, which he received from you.

 

“Mommy?” Daejung’s high voice interrupted your thoughts.

 

You jumped a little but regained your composure. “Hmm?”

 

“When’s Daddy coming home?” he asked.

 

“Soon. Very soon. Don’t worry about it,” you answered, faking a smile. Myungsoo’s discharge date was supposed to be in a week from now but you had gotten a call from him a few days ago, saying that the date would be pushed back for two more weeks.

 

Daejung swirled the melted ice cream in the paper cup with his spoon. “I miss him.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“Does he miss us?”

 

“As much as we miss him.”

 

He grinned. “So he misses us a million!”

 

You laughed. “More like a billion.”

 

Daejung’s opened his eyes wide. “There’s something bigger than a million?”

 

......................................................

 

You fumbled with your keys on your doorstep. After a minute of searching, you finally found the right key. As you were about to turn the key in the lock, Daejung stopped you.

 

“Can I do it?” Sensing your hesitation, he added, “Please?”

 

You offered the keys to him, and he opened the door with no problem. You swore that just yesterday he was taking his first steps.

 

Closing the door, you hung your coat up before hearing Daejung squealing in the living room.

 

“Appa!”

 

You stopped dead. What.

 

You hurried into the room to investigate, and what you saw made your heart stop.

 

Your husband stood in the middle of your home, carrying Daejung, whose arms were securely wrapped around his neck.

 

“Did you miss me?” Myungsoo asked the boy.

 

“I missed you a billion,” he answered.

 

You stared at Myungsoo open-mouthed. “But you said...”  you trailed off, at a loss for words.

 

He smirked. “I lied.”

 

You could only gawk at him.

 

“What, no welcome kiss?” Myungsoo teased.

 

You gestured towards Daejung, who was resting on his shoulder, and Myungsoo got the hint.

 

“Maybe later?” he suggested, “at night?”

 

You reddened. “Myungsoo!”

 

Your son raised his head up. “So Daddy, are you leaving again?”

 

Myungsoo looked back at you with a smile and  pecked his son’s cheek.


“Nope. Appa’s here to stay.”