Eight

Life as Mrs. Kim Myungsoo

Attending all those childbirth classes and reading baby books could never prepare you for the real thing. Delivering a child was agonizing, and you felt incredibly stupid for not getting an epidural to lessen the pain. Doctor Lee and several nurses surrounded you but the only person you could see was Myungsoo. His face was contorted into an expression of distress, as he couldn't stand seeing you in so much torture. Beads of sweat rolled down your forehead as you struggled to push out your child. It felt like someone was twisting and pulling your inner organs. It was too much.

You squeezed Myungsoo's hand. "Put me out of my misery," you begged, "Anything, do anything." 

He swept away damp strands of hair from your forehead. "Just keep going, ______." 

"His head's visible," Doctor Lee noted, "only a few more pushes, ______." 

The next half-hour was excruciating. A final streak of pain rippled through your body, and a loud cry could be heard. You looked up, and through your sweat and tears, you saw a tiny baby boy in Doctor Lee's arms.

Smiling broadly, Myungsoo kissed your forehead. "That's our son."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Daejung was born prematurely, he had to be taken immediately to the NICU, where he could be taken care of. Thankfully, there weren't any serious issues with him so he was sent back to your room within two hours. 

Actually holding Daejung was surreal. His eyes were closed shut, his skin tinted with pink. A tuft of dark hair peeked out from underneath his knit cap. You couldn't believe this delicate being was your son, your living, breathing child. To think, this baby had been in your stomach for so many months. You Daejung's tiny cheeks as you nursed him. Myungsoo watched from the side of your bed, his mouth open and his eyes wide. 

You chuckled at his reaction. "I can't believe it either." 

Leaning over, your husband gently poked Daejung's face. "He has my nose."

You studied your baby's features. "He has your mouth too."

"He's like a miniature version of me. We should have named him Junior," he grinned.

"Too bad, I already put Daejung on the birth certificate."

Myungsoo fake-pouted, then pecked your cheek. "Thank you for going through all that hard work. It killed me to see you in pain."

As Daejung stopped nursing, you opened your mouth to respond until the appearance of six men interrupted you.

Sungyeol, holding balloons, burst through the door, followed by the rest of the Infinite members.

"Let me see the beautiful baby!" he bellowed, startling you and Daejung. Miraculously, your baby didn't cry at all, instead, he just blinked his eyes open, looking at you with what looked like... Confusion? You were taken aback at how a newborn could express emotions. 

Sunggyu punched his bandmate in the shoulder. "Don't frighten the baby," he scolded as Sungyeol rubbed the injured area. 

Sungjong rushed over to your side. "Noona, how are you feeling? Did the delivery really hurt?" Becoming worried, he lightly patted your hand. 

Recalling the delivery, you replied. "You have no idea how painful it was. I felt like I was getting torn apart." Sungjong blanched. "But I'm okay now, don't worry," you quickly reassured him.

"Yeah, thanks for knocking ______ up, Myungsoo," Hoya piped up, "She had to squeeze a baby out just for you." 

All of the guys laughed as Myungsoo narrowed his eyes at Hoya. The Infinite members huddled around your bed, staring at the newest edition to your family. 

"I just wanna pinch his cheeks," Dongwoo cooed, "When he's older, do you mind if he calls me Uncle Dongwoo?" 

Giggling, you shook your head. "Daejung can call you anything you want." 

Dongwoo brightened. "So he can call Sunggyu 'hamster gyu,' right?" 

Sunggyu frowned at Dongwoo. "Absolutely not! I want to be Uncle Gyu."

 "More like Grandpa Gyu," Hoya chimed in. 

While the three were bantering, Woohyun beamed at the baby. "He's going to be so handsome when he's older." He paused. "But not as handsome as me!" Seeing Myungsoo's glare, he nervously chuckled. "I kid, I kid." 

"I didn't expect you to be the first one in our group to be a dad," Sungyeol said to Myungsoo, "I always thought it'd be Woohyun." He tilted his head to the man playing peek-a-boo with your son, who had no reaction, much to Woohyun's disappointment. 

Myungsoo scrunched up his nose. "Ugh, it's weird being called a dad." 

Dongwoo poked Myungsoo's back. "Daddy Myunggie!" Your husband rolled his eyes at his friend's childishness. 

Sungjong then took out two large bag. "We bought a bunch of baby clothes and toys for you and Daejung. We hope you like it!"

"Thank you so much," you smiled broadly at the members, touched at the gift.

"Does anyone want to hold Daejung?" you asked, and you were met with a flurry of "Me's!" and "I do's!" You laughed. "Take turns, you guys." You handed Daejung to Sungjong, who carefully cradled the baby in his arms. 

Myungsoo peered inside the bag. "Yah! Why are all the clothes purple?!" he exclaimed. 

His groupmates pointed to Hoya, who simply shrugged. "I have no idea." 

Thankfully, there were a wide variety of clothes in other colors too. The other bag was full of toys. 

"Dongwoo and Sungyeol picked out all the toys," Sunggyu explained. 

You nodded. "I can tell." 

Myungsoo put the presents away as you rested your head on the pillow. He your hair as you closed your eyes. 

"I think I'm going to take a little nap," you yawned, "Take care of Daejung." 

"I'll keep my friends well-behaved," Myungsoo promised. You then fell asleep listening to the sounds of laughter.