Chapter 7: Ghost

A Leap of Fate

 

I held the straps of my backpack as I walk on my way to the bookshop. Starting after my conversation with Eomma on breakfast I constantly make mental notes of myself. Should I go see a psychiatrist? Should I? Uhmm, how about telling it to Eun Nel? Maybe she can give me a piece of her unadulterated opinion. Ah nah. I know she wouldn't. The complete opposite of that.
 
 
 
As I pass on a music record bar on my way to the bookshop, I spotted a poster of my Oppa on their glass wall. I stop infront of it and stare at it for awhile. I fish out of my phone to take a picture when a song suddenly play inside.
 
 
 
(Play this song
Maldo Andwae by Younha
 
 
"Maldo andwae nado mollae neoman baraboge dwaesseo
(No way, I’ve realized that I’ve been looking at you)
 
miwohaebwado aereul sseobwado sumgyeobwado andoeneungeol
(It won’t do even if I hate it, stop it, or hide it)
 
ireom andwae jakku wonhae
(It can’t go on like this)
 
nege ppajyeotdago malhae
(I will confess that I’ve fallen for you)
 
kkumeul kkwo bwado neo ppuningeol
(You’re everywhere in my dream)
 
maldo andoejiman neol saranghae"
(I know that it doesn’t make any sense but I love you)
 
 
 
I listen carefully to the lyrics, then I suddenly thought of someone.
 
 
 
 
"Pyeonhan neukkimi joha maeil tigyeoktaegyeokhaedo neon nae mam jal aljanha
(I like this sensation, you know how I feel even if we were to fight everyday)
 
jemeotdaero guljiman mwodeun badajul su isseo nan ojik neo hanaman~
(You always want it your way but I can accept anything from you, only you~)
 
oerowo gaseumi michyeonnabwa nae dununen neoman boyeo~"
(I’m lonely, my heart’s crazy for you and and you’re the only one I see~)
 
 
 
 
 
OH MWOYA! IT GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS!
 
 
 
 
I immediately put my phone back in my pocket and walked away faster. I even covered my ears, to the point that the people I pass by stare at me. I don't care, I just need to get out of the music range of that song!
 
 
 
 
 
I heard the sound of the chimes as I push open the glass door of the bookshop and went inside. I inhaled and exhaled and fist held my chest, ah pigeonhae. I get the bottle of water on my bag and quickly drink from it, then wipe the sweat that was forming on my forehead.
 
 
 
"Oh you-ya Wasseo? Why are you looking so tired? Did you run all the way here? Hmm you're still 5 minutes early." Mr. Jae Wook who was in the cashier greeted me.
 
 
"Oh, Ne. Hehe, I thought I was going to be late so I--"
 
 
"Oh, wasseo?"
 
 
"DON'T GET NEAR ME! I'M TELLING YOU, DON'T GET NEAR ME!" I suddenly  blurted out to the fox infront of me. As soon as I heard his voice my heart almost leapt out of my chest. I signal my hand to him not to get near, and I saw everyone's reaction inside the bookshop: They were all startled, confused and everything in between. I open my eyes wide at him, stepping backward and backward until my feet reach the edge of the shelf. I swallowed my saliva.
 
 
"What's wrong?" The arctic fox asked so casually, no, no you can't get me with that charm, you can't, you really can't!
 
 
"There's no problem, really. There will be a problem if you get near me!" I said to him then I get the bottle of water in my bag, ready to throw it to him if he think of going near.
 
 
"you, what's really going on? Do you and Jinyoung-ah fought?" I looked at Mr. Jae Wook who was looking so confused, he was about to reach the bottle of water in my hand but I move it away from him.
 
 
"Ya you, what's happening to you? Answer Mr. Jae Wook." Eun Nel said while her arms are folded, then she shakes her head.
 
 
 
I looked at the people around me, they were all looking at me with their confused eyes. I swallowed my saliva then breathe deeply. This is embarassing, aigoo.. I close my eyes then bit my lip.
 
 
"Its.. I.. I.. I saw a flying cockroach over Jinyoung's head!" I said with my eyes wide open as I point over the fox head.
 
 
"Mwo? There's no cockroach here, I always spray insecticide here at night and I make sure there are no pests here in the bookshop." Mr. Jae Wook said. Aissh, that's a lame excuse.  I saw them shake their heads, they must think I've gone crazy! C'mon you, think of something that's more realistic.. Ah aniya! More explosive!
 
 
"Ah, I mean.. I thought I saw a flying cockroach over Jinyoung's head. But its not, so I think.."
 
 
"Mwo? What's that? What did you saw?" I saw Eun Nel's frightened expression as she looked at me then over the fox who was listening intently. Ok, GOTCHA!
 
 
 
 
"Ghost?" I said. They all horrifyingly look at Jinyoung then...
 
 
 
 
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!" Everybody flocked to where I'am standing, Eun Nel formed a cross sign with her finger and signal it to Jinyoung. Mr. Jae Wook was just stunned while he is beside me.
 
 
"I.. I can't believe there's.. I know this house is antique but.." I look at Mr. Jae Wook who's expression is still stunned.
 
 
 
I look at Jinyoung, Aigoo I want to laugh! He was still standing on his spot, looking so perplexed. Hehe, I know he's scared with ghosts but Eotteoke? The people are more scared of him! BWAHAHA!!!
 
 
"Is the ghost still here you-ya?" Sunwoo-sshi asked me, Jung Hwan-sshi and him were hugging each other. They were both trembling.
 
 
"I guess so. Maybe its still here." I said, trying to look scared. I look at Jinyoung who was now looking at his back like he's searching for the 'ghost'. Mianhae Jinyoung-ah, I'm still enjoying but, well, I'm a good enough friend so I'll let it go if you cry! HAHAHA!
 
 
 
 
Suddenly the door of the bookshop swung open. We all looked at the direction as Ha Na entered.
 
 
 
 
"Wasseo! Oh... Wae geuraeyo?" She said, then shifts her look to Jinyoung and at the energy crowd. She crinkled her forehead to confusion. No one was speaking, so she went near Jinyoung.
 
 
"Oppa, you're here." She said then held the fox' arm and smiled sweetly to him. I tighten my grip to the bottle of water, Aissssh! I suddenly wanted to throw the bottle of water to them!
 
 
"Ha Na-sshi! You don't know what you're doing! Go away there!" Sunwoo shouted to her, my nostrils were both blowing out hot air as I saw her hooked her arms to that fox.
 
 
"Wae? What's wrong with you guys?" She said. I suddenly invert my gaze to Eun Nel when she asked me, "Is 'it' still there?"
 
 
 
 
 
I thought deeply of what to answer. I can't take it anymore, I'm fooling all of them, and... I started to realize I'm also fooling myself. I look at my feet then answered her.
 
 
 
 
 
 
"It's gone, now."
 
 
 
 
 
 
I heard them all sighed as they let go of the compressed position here in the corner. I was still looking at my feet, then loosen my grip on the bottle of water.
 
 
 
"Let's all forget this happened guys. Don't worry, I will resolve 'this' immediately." After Mr. Jae Wook announced, they all went to their workplace while I'm still froze on my spot. I can't look up.
 
 
"What are you all guys talking about?"
 
 
"If I were you you won't want to know." Eun Nel said to Ha Na then drag Jung Hwan to the storage room to accompany him on her work.
 
 
 
"you, Gwaenchana?" I looked at Mr. Jae Wook's hand on my shoulder. I smiled and nod at him reassuringly. Then he went back to the cashier.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I walked to the shelf of books where I should be working, not looking at Ha Na and Jinyoung as I pass by. I can hear them talk, but I just shrug it off. I sighed as I put down my bag, I forgot to put it on the locker. I'll just bring it there later, after the love birds finished their talk! I made a face on myself as I start to organize the encyclopedias according to their volumes.
 
 
 
 
"Ya, ghost girl, did you do that on purpose to humiliate me?" I felt him get my bag from the ground.
 
 
"Put that back. I'll bring it there later."
 
 
"Oh, why are you looking so glum? Are you shocked by the 'ghost'?" He said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. I'm not getting angry, I'm not getting angrier, I'm not getting...
 
 
"YA I TOLD YOU TO PUT THAT DOWN!" I shouted at him. With that, my bag just automatically fell from his arms back to the ground.
 
 
 
"Jinyoung Oppa, what's happening here?" I shoot a look at the direction of annoying voice who entered, I turn my back on them then get my bag and walk out. Aissh these two are really getting on my nerves!
 
 
 
 
 
FOR WHAT REASON?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was almost at the locker room when I stop walking.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For what reason I'm getting all worked up by that two?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
AM I JEALOUS?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
MWOYYYYYA!
 
 
 
 
I immediately put my bag inside my locker then start walking back to my workplace. The two were still there. I was almost there when I saw Ha Na touching the fox's forehead. I stop in my tracks and hide from a nearby shelf and peek. I think she's asking about the incident yesterday. What does she care anyways? Aisssh!
 
 
 
 
 
What the--? What am I thinking about?! I held my fist to my chest, my heart was beating so fast I think its going to skip a beat. I close my eyes trying to collect my thoughts, omona why do I feel like something in my system is breaking? Is it my lungs? Oh, maybe it is. I also think I've been shouting this past few days. I try to inhale and exhale but I feel more burdened. I peek again to see what they're up to, but Jinyoung was now alone in my workplace. He was sitted on a stool reading a book. I clear my throat before walking back to where he is.
 
 
 
"Ya what are you doing? Do you want to get scold by Mr. Jae Wook? Get back to work!" I said as I continue my disrupted work, not looking at him.
 
 
"This is my work." He said as he continue reading the book.
 
 
"Oh yeah I forgot. Your work is to entertain customers, to be specific, Girl Customers. Why don't you try being a gigolo? I think they will pay you more than Mr. Jae Wook pays you--"
 
 
I open my eyes wide and swallow my saliva. I look at his eyes, its the same look he had last night when Mr. Jae Wook held my hand on our performance. He was holding my arm and leaning towards me, too close I can even feel his ragged breathing.
 
 
 
 
"Is that so? Hmm.. Well, let's see if I can also pick you up." His face drew closer and closer to mine. I close my eyes, waiting to feel something in my lips.