9

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           The house is so quiet. Taura opened the bathroom door ajar sticking her head out to make sure that the coast was clear. Taura felt self conscious just wearing a shirt that Kyungsoo had loaned her in a house full of young men. It barely covered her thighs. Upon opening the door, she heard absolutely nothing. Are they asleep? The girl stuck one foot out the door and then another, cringing as the floor boards creaked. She took another step, leaping almost, across the top floor the house to her own room. 

           After dinner most of the boys moved to their assigned sleeping quarters not bothering to wash up. Most worn out and full, they didn't see the need to get cleaned up when in the morning they planned to get dirty again. Taura didn't understand their mindset but appreciated the fact that Kyungsoo did wash up. 

           Continuing her trip down the short hall, she failed to notice one of the door's behind her open, “Taura?”

            The girl jumped at the sound of her name and looked back to see Kyungsoo’s grandfather sticking his head out of his door. She clutched her chest but made her way to the old man. He chuckled while ruffling her hair, “You going to be okay?”

            He was talking about her nightmares, more like flashbacks to Taura. Usually it was just the two of them in the house but with eleven other bodies sleeping over she knew it would be more of a burden. The pairs usual night consisted of Taura waking up gasping for air, completely shaken from the vivid images, then running to the older man for comfort. Both Taura and Kyung Jin rarely got more than four hours of sleep due to their all night story telling. She appreciated his help very much so but she saw the old man needed his sleep. Recently, she’d pretend to be asleep after just one story for the sake of the older man, he'd sleep on the couch, while Tuara spent the rest of the night on the porch just looking out at the empty streets thinking about home and her friends. She’d sleep when it hit her hard, which meant only about an hour or two of rest but she didn’t mind.

            Taura placed a both hands on the older man’s shoulder and stood on her tip toes to kiss the man’s head before giving an assuring nod, I’ll be fine. At least I hope I will. Kyung Jin could only sigh and pat her head, “If you say so, sweetheart. Go to bed now, everyone else already passed out.”

            In her room, she tucked herself between the sheets and stared up at the blank ceiling. Sleep didn’t come easy, but it eventually would if she just closed her eyes.

           *~*~*~*~*~*~*

            Her body was back in the water. She could feel the cool sensation wrap around her skin and reveled at the familiar feeling. Though, that nice feeling didn’t last long when Taura realized what was going on.

          Mira was being pulled down deeper in the ocea

Please log in to read the full chapter