16

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           The two princesses sat on the upper deck of the ship, letting the ocean breeze run through the hair as the rest of the crew readied the ship to leave. It was almost twelve and Taura was feeling antsy. Not just because the woman in front of her may or may not remember who she was, but because in a few minutes she’d be surrounded by the very waters she couldn’t return to with nowhere to run. She breathed deeply; in through her nose and out . Even the ocean breeze couldn’t help suppress the queasiness in Taura’s stomach. Mira wasn’t feeling any better. The princess was just as anxious about being on open waters after her past occurrences with the creatures that lived below its surface. All she could hope for was that all her loved ones were alright.

            “So you’re Kyungsoo’s cousin?”

            Taura hesitantly lifted her head in Mira’s direction. Cousin? The mermaid nodded slowly, almost unsure of herself, Mira mirrored her as she stretched her arms out and held her knees as she rocked back a bit in her seat, “I see.”

            For once, the mermaid was happy she couldn’t speak.

            “Alright! Let’s go find that prince of yours!” Both young women were startled by Chanyeol’s booming voice as he climbed up the steps and took his place in front of the wheel with Kris at his side. Taura eyed the ship before her as one by one the three sails were untied, letting the canvas fall as they may with the wind already pointing them in a northward direction. The ship shifted forward a bit before Chanyeol quickly spun the wheel away from the docks moving the ship along with it. The mermaid rushed to the side of the ship and held to the ropes above her as she leaned over to take a look at the water below the ship. Waves angled themselves away as the ship forward. The soft look of the water replaced with rough ripples, Taura could almost feel her eyes growing blurry as she continued to stare. She pulled back, feeling dizzy.

            “Seasick already?” Xiu Min giggled as he hovered over Taura. From where he stood he could see the color washing away from her cheeks leaving behind a sickly gray in its place. He leaned down and placed his palm on her forehead, “You feel fine, maybe you should head down and get Kyungsoo to fix you something.”

            Taura whipped her head away from Xiu Min upon hearing his name. The man chuckled, realizing there was some bitterness towards the two. In fact, he wasn’t the only one to see that something was up between Taura and Kyungsoo, all of them knew. He ruffled the mermaid’s long hair and told her to just stay put while he went to find something or better yet someone.

            Kyungsoo was busy helping Luhan and Chen repair some of the chipped boards in the hold when Xiu Min came prancing in with a huge grin. The three younger sailors didn’t seem to notice until he came behind Kyungsoo and grabbed his shoulders, “Oy, your cousin is seasick. Go help her.”

            “Why should I? There are eleven other bodies on this ship that can help, besides she’s a big girl she can take care of herself.” He wasn’t in the mood to see Taura. He wasn’t mad at her, just frustrated. She should have just stayed with grandfather. She’s not made for this kind of thing and neither is the princess. Luhan, Chen, and Xiu Min exchanged looks when Chen nudged his friend’s shoulder, “You’re really going to diss your cousin like that?”

            Cousin, as if. Kyungsoo scoffed inwardly when he could feel the three pairs of eyes boring onto him. He looked up, only to meet eyes with six judgemental gazes that eventually had him marching up the stairs to the top of the ship.

            “Something tells me, Kyungsoo isn’t being comp

Please log in to read the full chapter