43

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

According to Hina, Venilia was a city of misfits, refugees, and exiled from all over. Not only mermaids, but Sirens and other sea creatures resided within the city. Their living quality wasn’t what it was where they lived before but they were given opportunities to do things within their small community.

“Your grandmother created this city before she died so that others like her could live somewhat of a comfortable life where they didn’t feel shunned. Your father and mother knew about this place and planned to use it as a place of refuge for themselves if needed.”

Taura and Hina swam through the streets of the underwater haven greeted by timid faces and frail bodies. Taura did her best to smile back but couldn’t help but feel remorse for their current situations. She felt second hand responsibility for their lives and felt like they could be helped even more.

“What happened when my grandmother died?” Hina guided Taura to one of the nicer buildings inside of the city. The walls made out of a sturdier framework towered above the rest and had guards patrolling the five levels.

“She had someone under her wing ready to take her place when the time came.” Hina nodded at the two guards on the first level who let them pass. The main hallways was decorated with sea glass embedded walls and open windows. The palace was bright and the floor below them was home to different species of fish and coral reefs.

Taura and Hina swam above them as the princess asked, “Who is it?”

Guiding her to the upper level, more mermaids as well as Sirens filled the spaces and greeted Taura with unending questions. Bombarded with questions and close bodies, Taura kept her hands up defense as she tried to swim away from the gathering crowd of curious nobles. Hina tried her best to deflect some of them, but was swallowed by the growing number of people.

“Your highness, what’s going on? Where have you been all this time?”

“What happened to your father? Why were you missing for so long?”

“What is this place? Why are our people intergrading with Sirens? I’m not going to follow the rule of some low life.”

“Taura!”

“Your highness!”

“Princess!”

The growing volume of voices made Taura’s head began to throb as she was pushed around like a rag doll. She eventually covered her own ears letting out a scream that silenced the crowd and had them cringing away at the high frequency sound. Hina even cowered away as Taura’s blue eyes scanned the crowd and spotted an exit, “Take me to the leader of this place this instant.”

Creating a defined path Hina took the lead as Taura followed. The other nobles afraid to meet eyes with the passing princess only watched as she left and kept their curious comments to themselves. Hina too kept her lips sealed afraid anything said to Taura would tick her off and lead to another painful outburst. Taura breathed heavily trying to calm her nerves as they passed more curious merfolk. Hina discreetly kept them at bay by signaling them to stay back when they made it to the main room. A circular part of the castle, there were not set walls but pillars that held up a half broken dome like covering made out of stained glass.

In the room, a male Siren swam around the pillars chasing after a smaller Siren with flowing red hair and a high pitched laugh. Taura eyed the pair with a raised brow and tugged at Hina’s arm, “A Siren? My grandmother chose a Siren to succeed her?”

Hina spoke over her shoulder in a hushed voice, “Yes. They shared the same problem and your grandmother was fawn of him and his daughter. She trusted him.”

“Daughter?” Taura’s eyes wandered to the red haired girl as she stopped abruptly upon seeing their guests. She quickly took shelter behind her father’s tail and held to it as he swam towards them w

Please log in to read the full chapter