17

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           There was quite a pile of wood chippings beside Taura as Sehun worked to take each piece of wood out of her hand. With each pull the girl winced and gripped the cot tighter. Sehun’s eyes were on her hand but from his peripheral he could see her struggle and took a break, “It’s your own fault.”

            Taura didn’t have the courage to meet his eyes and looked around elsewhere listening to the soft creaks as the ship moved. Her body  adjusted to the steady rock but occasionally that dizzying feeling would return especially when she looked at her busted up hand. Why is he being so—nice? Sehun rarely interacted with Taura and this sudden act of kindness had the mermaid raising brows. He couldn’t…He doesn’t…does he? Sehun resumed taking care of Taura in silence. Eventually the last piece was taken out, finally.

            “Is she alright?” Two heads popped in belonging to Chen and Baekhyun. Taura and Sehun glanced over at them but said nothing as they sat on either side of the girl. Sehun began wrapping up her hand carefully, contemplating a way to explain Taura’s sudden act of destruction.

            “Dang, Taura…You have quite the strength there.” Chen laughed nervously as he rubbed his thighs. If she could do something like that else, what else was she capable of?

            “Strength? That wood had been rotting for the past few weeks. Isn’t it your job to check for that?” Sehun stared at Chen with a knowing look, trying to convince not only Chen but himself of that clear lie. Taura’s head snapped back and forth between the two while Baekhyun eyed Sehun, “How do you know that?”

            “It was feeling quite soft anyways I tend to check every now and then.” Sehun didn’t dare meet eyes with his hyung knowing he’d give it away. Chen was more likely to believe Sehun, though.

            “Really? Huh, I never thought that those railings could go soft.” Chen stood up absentmindedly as he contemplated things but before he left he looked at Taura apologetically, “Sorry then, I guess it’s my fault for not double checking.”

            Taura gave him an assuring smile and shook her head, If only you knew. Baekhyun was contemplating too but didn’t say anything as Sehun finally finished, “There. Don’t touch anything anymore, alright?”

            Sehun stood up and put things back where they were not giving Taura anymore attention. He eventually headed elsewhere around the ship leaving her with Baekhyun.

            “He’s a weird one, isn’t he?” Baekhyun chuckled while he looked down at his feet. He could never put into words what he thought about Sehun but it was never anything bad. Sehun just hid so much, it was only natural for Baekhyun to question him.

            “He’s been with us since he was thirteen and I still don’t know a lo

Please log in to read the full chapter