A Magical Night...Kind of...

Smile Again {hiatus}

The ball is finally here and your heart leaps with joy. You can finally make this night about yourself and your enjoyment.

At eight in the morning, you get up to get ready for the eventful night ahead of you. Your friends meet in front of the nearest salon that Yoohye’s mother owns.

“I’m so excited! This night will be perfect!” Soomi wraps her arms around you and you laugh.

“At least you get to enjoy the night. I have to spend it talking to a bunch of adults.” Yoohye grumbles.

The four of you enter the salon and get pampered for hours. Yoohye is the pass that allows the four of you to get your nails, hair, and makeup done. By the end of it, you looked at the girls around you and felt your ego squirming. Sure, you had a ton of fanboys, but there was a reason the four of you were called the “Four Goddesses”. They all looked gorgeous and you were sure enough of yourself as much, after seeing them, even if they’re not in their dresses yet.

“You all look so pretty!” Ah Ri squeals. It turns out the Ah Ri returned her dress that she had bought and her mom had surprised her with designing a dress that was apparently perfect. You could not wait to see what her dress looked like; Ah Ri’s mom was a famous designer which many people have acknowledged because of the famous gowns that she designs.

The four of you waited with each other until it was time to attend the ball. You all squeal in excitement when all four of you were dressed, primped, and ready to go.

 

The boys of INFINITE arrived outside of the big mansion and they all greeted the press with wide smiles.

As soon as they were inside, they were greeted by Korea’s rich and famous for a night that was dedicated to raising money for the growing number of orphans that are raising in Korea.

The mingled with many adults, greeted their parents’ friends, chatted with kids from their school, and waited until the “Four Goddesses” showed up.

Sungyeol glanced at the doors every few minutes, waiting for the second that he heard the press screaming for you.

His friends notice his distance, but his heart was preoccupied with nervous feelings.

Hoya searched his friend’s face, and could easily see what Sungyeol was thinking about. He sighed and wished his friend luck, silently, hoping that he would one day find the courage to put his feelings before others’.

The press was suddenly frantic, trying to catch the attention of the limo that just pulled up to the mansion. It was easy to guess who was in the limo. The “Four Goddesses” have arrived.

 

You girls chatted in the car for about twenty minutes before the limo pulled up to mansion. Security pulled the door open and each of you filed out and smile at the press and photographers like celebrities. You all shined in your dresses that described each of your personalities perfectly.

You were a distant, unattainable goddess in the white and gold that suited your skin perfectly.

Soomi was the soft and kind hearted goddess that ascended with a baby pink gown that flowed down her body and softly swayed as she moved.

Yoohye was a bright, attention-stealing goddess in a vixen-red mermaid gown that clung to her perfect body.

For Ah Ri, she was a bubbly goddess that was dolled up in body-hugging mini that had a long tail that wrapped around her waist, perfect for her long legs to peek through.

The photographers went wild. Everywhere you girls turned, they wanted an interview to see who you were all wearing or questions about their parents and your businesses. To say that you were used to this was a complete lie, but you put on your brave face and allowed the questions to stampede you.

 

Inside, the boys of INFINITE watch in astonishment at the four girls. Sure, their parents were rich and they were in the top fifty of the businesses in Korea, but these four girls were standing at the top four.

Sungyeol’s eyes landed on you and he was in a sudden trance.

He was in a daze and ripped his eyes away from you, excusing himself to get a drink. No one but Hoya knew what was going on the troubled person’s mind. Heck, no one even thought something was wrong.

Sungyeol wandered over to the refreshments and hors d'oeuvres and took a breather.

“Hello, Sungyeol oppa.” A voice snapped him out of his thoughts and he glanced up.

There you were, alone. He was surprised to see that your other three best friends were not ripping his throat out right now. You sense his curiosity and gave him a small smile that melted his heart a bit. “They’re with their families.”

Sungyeol’s eyes darted over to the families conversing together. His family was among all the others, mingling. “Where are your parents?”

You sigh. “They’re in another country contracting with other hotels.” 

“You came alone, without your family?” Sungyeol felt his heart tug a bit at the new information.

“No…my cousin and my aunt are arriving later. They count as my family, right?” You answered lightheartedly, knowing that it wasn’t your parents’ intention to make you come to this ball alone.

“Well, while you wait for them, would you like to dance with me?” Sungyeol held out his hand hesitatingly, afraid that he would get rejected by the person he could not stop thinking about.

You looked at his hand in surprise. No one had ever treated you like he did. With a growing smile, you took his.

Sungyeol’s heart leapt with joy and he took that opportunity to lead you to the dance floor.

 

This scene was caught by the hawk eyes of Hoya. He smiled secretly at his friend, knowing that this was something that he would never do in a million years.

Also catching sight of this was everyone else at the ball. The other three goddesses squealed in delight, while Myungsoo was more shocked than anything. How could he not see this coming? Was his best friend in love with the girl that he betrayed? His date tugged on his arm and he looked up at the face starting back at him.

Suzy’s smile was radiating to anyone, but for Myungsoo…why did the spark he used to feel disappear? It used to be there when you two were still together, when he thought that he had chemistry with everyone and the attraction towards you started to fade.

“Oppa, are you going to dance with me tonight?” Suzy was one of Myungsoo’s many girls. Not that she minded, but she liked to think that she was the most important one.

“I need to get some air.” Myungsoo shrugged himself out of Suzy’s grip and headed toward the balcony.  Suzy huffed at his behavior and she blamed all of his distance on you. You were the It girl who stole everyone’s attention, wherever you went. So why did you have to steal your ex-boyfriend’s  again, when you had broken up with him and he was with her…and a few other girls? Myungsoo had been distant towards all the girls since the incident with Hyuna and Suzy was secretly basking in the attention that she had been receiving since she was with Myungsoo, but she hated when he was like this. With one last glare in your direction, Suzy stomped away to the bathroom.

 

The songs and noise were drowned out and it was only the two of you in the room. You spoke with a tenderness that was lost since you became the cold girl with no feelings. Sungyeol was speaking quietly, but it might as well have been whispering in your ear. Everything he said was so clear that you wanted to melt away. All the sweet words that came from his mouth threatened to give you cavities.

You two were talking like you had been friends since diapers. Little jokes came here and there, laughter was invoked. Why did it feel so right to be in this person’s arms? Weren’t you supposed to be cringing away from this person? After all, he could be exactly like his best friend. He could give you hope and happiness one day, but the next would be full of pain.

Was he really going to put you through that? You didn’t know. Right now, this was the perfect moment, the perfect dance.

Feeling as light tap on your shoulder, you stop dancing and turn to look and see the person who was stealing your attention.

“Won Bin oppa! When did you get here? Is auntie here too?” Your eyes were bright and you were in the greatest mood.

Sungyeol knew, then, that he was your cousin and smiled, bowed and walked back to his friends, thanking you for the dance.

Disappointment swelled inside of you, but you did everything that you could not to show it.

You went to talk to your aunt and your friends hounded you with questions and details about your dance. You smile and laugh, hoping that nothing spoils the good mood that you are in.

 

Sungyeol went back to his friends and Hoya gave hive a small nod of approval, while their other friends could not be bothered.

One person was missing and Sungyeol knew where he was. He was his best friend after all.

He head out to the balcony and low and behold, Myungsoo was staring off into the distance.

“Hey, man,” Sungyeol started off.

Nod.

“How are you doing?”

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“Do you still like her?” Sungyeol asked.

“I…think so. You too?” Myungsoo stared up into the sky.

“Yeah.”

 

Inside, you feel a light tap on your shoulder and turn around. It all happened so quickly and you were out as the darkness took over.

That certainly put a damper on things.

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo rushed inside as they heard the chaos that was going on inside.

“Does she know what they could do to her?”

“Is she out of her mind?”
“Where did she hit her?”

“Did security come?”
As soon as the two were on scene, their jaws dropped and they found Won Bin carrying you out to his car.

Hoya appeared and explained to them what happened. Suzy’s jealousy got the best of her and while she was just going to confront you, her temper flared when she overheard Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s conversation outside. That led her to you and that lead to her punch which knocked you out cold.

Myungsoo’s face grew darker, knowing that this was caused by him. Sungyeol was in complete shock and was stunned into silence.

“Its fine, guys. Luckily, there was a doctor on scene because he owns the largest hospital in Seoul. He said that she is going to be fine. Won Bin hyung and his mom are going to take care of her tonight. Let’s just all forget this happened.” Hoya’s words comforted them, and they just wanted to go home.

“Let’s go. We didn’t even eat much here; we can go eat some barbeque or something!” Dongwoo’s mood brought the seven men out of their funk and they left the shocking memories in the back of their minds, leaving to deal with this day another time.

 

 

 

A/N:

I want to take a moment and give my sincere condolences to the two wonderful women that were taken too soon.

I hope that the other members of Ladies’ Code and the family and friends of EunB and Rise take their time and celebrate the lives of their precious ones.

 

Jaime T.