Don't Give Up

Smile Again {hiatus}

You are both silent. He stares at me and you hold his gaze.

Your heart was beating so wildly that you were sure that he heard. If he did, he gave you no signs of hearing, and you were flushed at the thought of it.

His gaze held yours so intently that you weren’t sure that you wanted to hear his answer. You just wanted to look into his eyes that were so full of expression.

“Yes.” That one simple word came out of his mouth and your heart burst. He rips his eyes away from yours, which made you feel strangely disappointed. Your heart responded faster than your head.

It pounded so violently, you thought it was seriously about to burst. Your head was frozen at the word. It took you a minute to respond and when only two words were able to formulate.

“Since when?”

“The first time I saw you.” You watched as he smiled bitterly. “The first day of high school, I walked into the school gates, and there you were…surrounded by all these guys. I didn’t even know you, but I knew that you were someone I had to know. But…Myungsoo got you first. He’s my best friend. Even though I hate what he did to you…I know he’s a good person…and I know he fell for you too…which is why…I gave up.” He looked at you and gave you a sad look to which you could not comprehend.

“He what?” You were shocked. There was too much information and you felt so discouraged suddenly after you heard him say that he gave up.

“I can tell by the way he acts. He fell for you…and it wasn’t supposed to happen. But you were his and when he finally realized that he loved you, you slipped through his fingers…and I had to watch two people I care about fall into a depression.” Sungyeol sighed and let out a bitter laugh.

“Why…why did you give up?”

Sungyeol looked up with surprise written in his eyes.

“I gave up…because it wasn’t fair to Myungsoo, and it isn’t right to the public eye…seeing me with my best friend’s ex.”

“You can’t give up…not yet,” you let the words slip out of your mouth. He looked at you questioningly and you continued. “You just told me that you like me…you haven’t even given me the chance to see if I can return the feelings.”

He looked at you with sheer surprised written all over his face, but it left as quickly as it came. Instead, it was replaced by a cold look.

“I can’t. Not to Myungsoo.” You sighed, knowing that nothing would go smoothly, but you hoped that fate would give you two a bit of a chance.

 

It was late when you two decided to call it a day. It was around 10 and there was school the next day.

Sungyeol offered to drive you home. You nodded reluctantly and he held the door open for you. Slipping into the seat, you watch as his tall figure moves to the other side of the car. He glides into the driver seat and you notice that he was tense.

“Oppa, I’m sorry.”

He lets out a sigh, and shakes his head. “It’s not your fault.”

He eased out of the parking lot of the library and headed to your mansion.

The car ride was filled with an uncomfortable silence that you wanted to break, but you had no courage.

Sungyeol stopped the car ride in front of your mansion and you thank him quietly.

“Oppa…don’t give up,” you mumble as you sit in the car for a moment longer. As soon as you open the door, you step out of the car and watch as Sungyeol speeds away.

With a sigh, you step into the mansion, only to see that your parents finally came home.

“Appa? Omma?” You stare at their relieved faces and they rush toward you. They capture you in an embrace and you felt all the months of neglect melt away.

Right away they apologized for their absences for the past few months. You smile at them gently and listen as they explain to you the process of their business trip.

They apologize to you over and over about them not being able to protect you. They wanted to know every detail about what had landed you in the hospital, but you told them that people had been harassing you for status.

“That’s terrible! I should hire bodyguards…” Your father shook his head in disbelief. Sighing, you took your parents’ hands and smiled at them for reassurance.

“I’m fine now…that’s all that matters right? I’m sorry for worrying you so much. I just want you guys to exceed everyone’s’ expectations of you.” Both of their tired faces brightened hearing you speak. They only wanted you to be safe and happy. They honestly didn’t care for the riches they got; they cared for the security you would get in the future with their company.

“Yeobo, we have the best daughter in the world,” you mother smiled at your father. He nodded in agreement and you smiled at both of them before heading off to your room where you collapsed onto your bed.

There were so many thoughts that ran through your mind and you weren’t sure if you could even process what had been happening for the past few months. Your thoughts landed on the one person you thought would never enter your train of thought. Lee Sungyeol.

He said that he loved me…

He said that Myungsoo oppa loved me…

He…

He…

He…

He likes…me?

Why would he bother? I’m really nothing special…

But…he said that he would give up…

He said it wasn’t fair to his best friend…

But his best friend broke me into a million pieces...

What am I supposed to do?

How do I keep my feeling in check?

Do I love Sungyeol oppa?

What about Myungsoo…?

These types of thoughts consumed your mind for the rest of the night and you headed to bed with anything but a clear conscious.

 

In the morning, you woke up early for school but you were so haggard that you didn’t bother to fix yourself up to perfection. Instead, you kept your hair natural and your face bare.

Your friends call your name and you glance up from your locker.

They smile and wave at you and you give them a genuine smile, forgetting all the drama that had been happening for the past month.

“Ah…why do you three look like you came out of a catalogue while I look so frumpy?” Soomi nudges you playfully.

“Ehh~ why do you say that? You look so innocent without any makeup…I just want to put you in my pocket!” You laugh that the comment and Yoohye nods her head so quickly, you thought it was going to fall off.

“YAH!” Ah Ri shouts. The students around you are startled and she just ignores them. “You are all disgusting.”

With that, you laugh as the four of you walk to your class.

 

A pair of eyes watches as you and your friends makes your way to the class.

They agreed with your friends when they said that you looked innocent.

She’s always looked purest without makeup…

He shifted positions and watch as his six other friends joke with each other, ease evident in their eyes.

Is it calm before the storm?

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

I'm so sorry for the late update. My life has been hectic for the past few weeks, and it's a surprise that I even finished this chapter. I hope you all forgive me!

School is starting in less than two weeks, for me, and this is supposed to be an easy year for me as I am embarking on my last chapter before college, but I decided that I should keep the pace of my school year the same as the other years. Unfortunately, with the courses that I am challenging this year, comes a lot less time to have time to myself. I am going to be swamped with school work...heck, I haven't even dented my summer assignments... >-< Ultimately, this means that I might not get to update as regularly on Saturdays as I want.

I do sincerely apologize again, and I hope that all of you, even the silent readers, know how much your support for this story means to me. Please know that i am so grateful for all the support and I do not wish to disappoint anyone. I wish for your full support as this story moves forward.

On a side note...INFINITE has started their world tour! I am so happy for them and I hope the garner much attention from the world! They are my bias group with Lee Sungyeol as my ulitmate bias, so they have my full support, even if they don't even want to come to my state. D; Let's give them all our support and hope they are healthy for the remaining legs of their wonderful tour!

I hope you enjoyed my little...life update, apologies, and Inspirit rant... ^^ OH! AND THE CHAPTER!

 

xoxo,

Jaime T.