Confrontation

Smile Again {hiatus}

Someone called your name. You were back at school, and things with HyunA died down. She and you agreed to not let her turn herself in and she would back off.

“Oh, Mi-ah!” You smile at her and she rushed up to you.

“Yah! You were supposed to call me when you got home but you never did!” She playfully scolded you with a flick on your head.

“I forgot…I fell asleep when I got home.” You scratch your head guiltily and Soomi sighed.

“At least you got some rest. You are so busy all the time.” You nod and follow her as she led you to Ah Ri and Yoohye. They greeted you with smiled and you all walked to your class together.

 In a way, you were glad that HyunA did that to you. You were so busy with swimming and school that you didn’t even get to rest. You were so tired and that one week in the hospital was something you really needed.

Your cousin, Woo Bin had told you that your parents were supposed to take care of you, but their plans were ruined when a company from Germany wanted to get in on the meetings.

It hurt, but you knew that they cared. They were just too busy.

You sighed. There was still a few minutes before class started so you decided to call them.

Ring…

Ring…

Ring…

Ring…

“Hello?” A voice answered.

“Sectary Shin?”

“Ah, young Miss. What can I do for you?”

“Are my parents there?”

“They are currently in a meeting, Miss. Would you like me to leave a message?”

You sighed. Of course you loved them, but there were times when you wished that you just had a normal life. “No, no. I don’t want them to be distracted. Be do take care of them. Ah and sectary Shin?”

“Yes, miss?”

“Don’t tell them I called.”

“As you wish…” He sounded unsure but you thank him and hang up.

You sighed and your friends looked at you in…pity.

They knew the life you lived was a blessed one, but if they had to choose between their life and yours, they would rather keep theirs. Your life was one that was full of loneliness that they knew they wouldn’t understand. It was full of expectation and pressure that they were blessed without.

You were the only child of their company, hence, making you the only heir. You were expected to marry rich and achieve greatness and your friends knew that you were content with that life, but you also wanted to live a normal life. You wanted a life where your parents weren’t always overseas, a life where no one only talked to you for the money.

Soomi, Yoohye, and Ah Ri lived blessed lives too. All of them were rich.

Soomi had parents who owned a famous restaurant chain in Korea.

Yoohye and her family owned a high class salon chain in Korea.

Ah Ri had a mother who was a very famous designer and a father who was the CEO of a construction company that was in charge of building government buildings as well as projects like great mansions, clubs, and apartment buildings.

 The four girls were all brought to the same elite elementary school and were best friends ever since.

You sighed and laid your head down. Your parents never had time for you like your friends’ parents. The other three all took family vacations in the winter and summer, whether it is a week or a month. That was their bonding time, but for you, your parents were too busy expanding abroad.

The girls initiated you back into their conversation, but they knew you were anywhere but present.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo walked in, joking like they usually were and you didn’t even notice them. You were in your own world, and Sungyeol noticed the distant look on your face.

You were a pretty girl, but after the breakup, your face rarely showed any emotion. When you zoned out, it was like you were glaring at the wall.

Sungyeol left Myungsoo and walked up to you.

He called you name and you snapped back to reality.

“Are you okay?”

You nod and say nothing.

“Well, we rescheduled the auditions to the end of the week. Is that okay with you?” He couldn’t think of anything to say to you and so he talked about school.

You nod and listen to him talk animatedly about the auditions.

Class started and Sungyeol slumped back to his seat and you turn toward the board. You were in no mood to learn. You were a month ahead in your studies so there was no point in listening. Taking out your notebook, you soullessly write down the notes that Mr. Park wrote on the board and doodle in the margins.

Time didn’t pass by quickly enough. As soon as class ended, you pack you things quickly and leave the room.

You sit out at the front of school, where there were no students during lunch and you sit on the steps. Your thoughts, once again, invaded your mind and you were glad that no one was there to bother you.

 

Sungyeol POV:

I noticed that she left the class as fast as she swam. Guessing that she wanted to be alone, her friends left the class and headed to the cafeteria.

I walk with the talkative Myungsoo and Hoya. We sit at our table and HyunA and her friends walk in.

I cringe at the sight of her.

I know what she did. I know that she beat a girl senseless and she was off the hook. No one knew.

“HyunA,” I call out to her. She looks at me, surprised that I would talk to her. “Can I see you for a second, privately?” Hesitantly, she nods and I lead her into the hallway.

“What did you need, Sungyeol?” She didn’t know.

“I know what you did to her.” That statement made her freeze and I glance at her. Her face was full of fear, but it disappeared as fast as it came.

“What are you talking about?”

“Stop acting innocent. I know that you crave Myungsoo’s attention so badly…but that didn’t mean that you could take it out on someone.”

“I have no idea what you are rambling about,” She whispers.

“You think that you can get away with beating someone?”

“I-I…” Her head was hanging.

“You think that I wouldn’t notice?”

She was silent, so I went on.

“You weren’t in the cafeteria that half of lunch…so where were you?”

“I-I was…”

“Don’t you dare lie to me…I know where you were, and I know what you did.”

“You can’t prove where I was.” She looked me in the eyes. “What if I was in the bathroom? Or the office? What if I was talking to a teacher? You can’t prove it.”

“Don’t make me laugh. I know your intentions. I, of course, was the first person who ever realized who you really are. Am I right?” I smirk.

“Don’t you dare bring up the past…I thought that we agreed to keep that a secret.” She glared at me so intensely that I wanted to give up, but I wasn’t going to.

“I won’t bring up the past if you would just admit that you did it.”

“I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!” she clutched her head in her hands and I was so close to snapping.

“STOP ACTING SO INNOCENT! YOU…YOU, OF ALL PEOPLE, ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ACT INNOCENT!” My patience grew so thin that my hand lifted on its own and right as it was about to meet with HYunA’s face, there was a voice that snapped me back to reality.

“ENOUGH!”