Chapter 12

Delusion and Dignity

Sure, Sunggyu had told himself that he was not going to meet Woohyun that night. Sure, Sunggyu hated Woohyun (at least he told himself) that he didn't want to give the other the satisfaction of knowing that Sunggyu cared enough to come that night. But alas, something had happened, and Sunggyu wished to believe that it was curiosity that moved his legs, bringing him to the local park that night.

 

He didn't know what to expect, and in his honest opinion Sunggyu knew that he was way too curious for his own good. Due to all the mixed signals from Woohyun lateley Sunggyu wished (no he didn't) that he knew what was going on in Woohyun's mind right then. It was like a nagging it in the back of his head that he couldn't shake off. It was irritatingly strange that had Sunggyu lean in a bit closer, too close for comfort, to find out.

 

"Fancy seeing you here, Kim. I almost thought you wouldn't show up."

 

Sunggyu winced at the calm, cool voice. There Nam Woohyun stood, arms crossed and leaning smugly against the light pole a few meters before him. It was long past dusk, almost nighttime and Sunggyu cursed at himself for considering the strange rendezvous-feel of this encounter. It wasn't as if they meant anything to each other. Why were they meeting in the first place? And worst of all, why had Sunggyu even cared to come? Sunggyu forced the strange burning feeling that blossomed at the bottom of his stomache.

 

He couldn't forget what he came for. He came for answers.

 

"Nam Woohyun," Sunggyu acknowledged with a slight nod, trying to keep his voice as cool as possible.

 

He had to stay calm. He couldn't let Woohyun know his conflicting thoughts at that moment. "You wanted to speak with me?"

 

Woohyun's eyes slowly bore at him steadily, and Sunggyu inwardly shivered at the stare. It was unnerving.

 

"...Well?" Sunggyu gritted out as the seconds seemed to tick by. "What do you want, Nam?"

 

"Tell me about yourself." Woohyun said suddenly.

 

Sunggyu had almost thought he heard wrong. "What?"
 

"Tell me about yourself," Woohyun said steadily. "I'm curious. Go on."

 

"What is this some sort of joke?" Sunggyu sputtered. Nam Woohyun would never ask these sorts of questions. "What are you up to?"

 

"I just want to know what kind of person you are to invade my parties and befriend my best friend," Woohyun emphasized. "I care about Hoya."

 

"And you think I don't?" Didn't they agree to get along before?

 

"Look," Woohyun sighed. "We're going to have to reach a consensus. That was what I wanted us to meet up for."

 

"I thought we already came to a consensus," Sunngyu said suspiciously.

 

"No, we didn't."

 

"What happened when you invaded my bedroom the other day?"

 

"That?" Woohyun chuckled. "That was amusement."

 

That er. Sunggyu's nostrils flared. He wanted to punch Woohyun in that very moment. " you, Nam."

 

"It was fun to watch you," he drawled. "Sometimes you aren't really as much of a bastard after all."

 

Why did Sunggyu even come here again? Anger was boiling at the pit of his stomache. He didn't come here for Woohyun to insult him. He scolded himself, to why he even decided to give Woohyun a chance anyways. Bastards like Nam Woohyun will always be bastards, and Sunggyu has had enough of it.

 

"Go die in a hole, Nam," Sunggyu hissed at Woohyun's face. "I don't have time to waste for you."

 

He made his way to turn around and leave, never to speak with that man again. He's had enough. Enough of Woohyun's deceptions, enough of Woohyun's games. He's had enough, Sunggyu continued telling himself.

 

When a hand clamped on his shoulder to prevent him from walking away, Sunggyu's words echoed in his mind again. He's had enough.

 

Sunggyu punched Woohyun in the shoulder, effectively loosening the man's grasp on him. "Get away from me," the elder spat.

 

Woohyun grunted in slight pain, and suddenly seared an intense look at the other man. As Sunggyu began walking away, Woohyun asked, "Why are you always so flustered?"

 

Sunggyu stopped. "What did you say?" Sunggyu asked, incredulous. His palms were sweating, as he clenched his fists to his side. 

 

Stay strong.

 

Woohyun stalked slowly, closer to him. "Don't play coy with me," he breathed, smirking when Sunggyu visibly shivered in front of him. 

 

"Shall I punch you again?" Sunggyu sneered. "This time at your pretty face?"

 

"Would you really?" Woohyun gave a slight chuckle, peering at Sunggyu in smirking amusement. An unreadable look was in his eye, one that Sunggyu despised. "I don't believe you."

 

Woohyun was close now, too close and too confident that Sunggyu suddenly had the horrible feeling that Woohyun knew something. What it was, he hadn't gotten an idea.

 

"What makes you think that," Sunggyu's eyes slipped closed, trying to focus. 

 

Woohyun was trying to intimidate him, Sunggyu told himself. He couldn't back down. He wouldn't.

 

Smirking, Woohyun breathed in his ear, "Well after your little dream about me the other day, I was starting to wonder who it is that you really fancy."

 

-

 

Sunggyu's eyes widened. His heart stopped.

 

.

 

That dream had been weeks ago. 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," was the automatic reply but anyone looking into Sunggyu's eyes would know otherwise.

 

Woohyun eyes were full on looking at his face now. Sunggyu cursed at himself to keep his calm, to never back down to the man that was in front of him. He kept his eyes to the ground stubbornly and hands in his pockets. He would not give Woohyun the pleasure of knowing the amount of discomfort he was in because of the other man.

 

"Oh, really?" Woohyun whispered, eyes challenging.

 

"Yes," Sunggyu hissed. He decided to aim his eyes at Woohyun's ear now. Anything but his eyes.

 

He had to leave, Sunggyu told himself. Hell, before he said something that he'd regret, he had to leave now.

 

Woohyun, whose face was now a mere three inches away from Sunggyu's face, inhaled deeply. Breathing a breathy sigh across Sunggyu's face, Woohyun purred in satisfaction, "Liar."

 

, , , , Sunggyu screamed in his mind, eyes widened in alarm. Woohyun's arm was still on his shoulder, searing his flesh and Sunggyu had to leave now.

 

So he did what Woohyun didn't believe he would do: he punched him square in the jaw.

 

Taken by surprise, Woohyun flew back momentarily. "God damn it, Kim," he grunted in pain.

 

But that moment was all it took for Sunggyu to walk away, briskly and as confidently as he could away from the man that was Nam Woohyun.

 

Never looking back, once he was out of sight, Sunggyu broke into a run.

 

His cheeks were burning where Woohyun breathed on him, but he forcefully convinced himself that it was just the flush of exercise. What was on his mind, however, was a thought of two words. Two words that ricocheted their echos in the corners of his mind, racing through his head at an alarming pace as he ran, and ran.

 

He knows.