Chapter 10

Delusion and Dignity

"Good morning," Woohyun smirked, looking up from his food as Sunggyu stomped into the kitchen, hair still wet from his (cold) shower. 

 

"Morning, Sunggyu," Hoya smiled, sitting next to Woohyun. "Did you have a good sleep?"

 

Sunggyu's sour face brightened up at Hoya's voice. "It was nice," Sunggyu smiled back, trying his best to forget what had happened. "What brings you here so early?"

 

"Woohyun suggested we surprise you with breakfast this morning," Hoya motioned towards the food. "It's so great that the both of you are finally acting civil to one another."

 

"Yeah," Sunggyu muttered under his breath, pushing out a chair to sit in. Unfortunately the only available chair was the one next to Woohyun's which Sunggyu thought was the worst predicament. "Acting civil, alright."

 

"Woohyun made the breakfast," Sungjong pointed out, in between mouthfuls of food. "It's really good. You can totally be a chef someday, Woohyun!"

 

"What? Aw shucks, Sungjong," Woohyun beamed at the man. "I'm touched."

 

"I wish you were my room mate. Sunggyu doesn't cook at all!" Sungjong whined.

 

"No worries! I'll be happy to teach Sunggyu here!" Woohyun announced, patting Sunggyu on the shoulder, ignorant of the elder's sour demeanor.

 

Sunggyu suddenly didn't feel an urge to eat. "I'm not hungry," he said, getting up from his chair. 

 

"Aw, Sunggyu, don't be like that!" Woohyun's smile remained annoyingly on his face as he motioned for the other man to sit back down. "I made lots of food, you have to try some of it."

 

"I told you, I'm not hungry."

 

"Please?"

 

Sunggyu glanced longingly back at his room. "No."

 

"Pleeeaaase?"

 

Woohyun made a puppy-eyed face and Sunggyu swore in his mind because he looked down at the worst time. Woohyun had very nice eyes, Sunggyu's subconcious whispered to him, as he stared into Woohyun's dark ones. Woohyun was making little fists at his face, and although Sunggyu looked down on every girl who ever practiced aegyo in front of him, he found himself strangely compliant with Woohyun's. It looked more natural, and in brutal honesty that Sunggyu would never, ever admit, the younger man looked a bit adorable.

 

. What did he just think? Sunggyu bit at the corner of his mouth. He swore, he was going delirious. 

 

"No." Sunggyu shot his best glare down at Woohyun. "I'm going to my room."

 

The entire room was silent, as Sunggyu walked away from his table, cursing under his breath.

 

"And while we're at it," Sunggyu said in a low voice. "Let me set this straight." His glare aimed straight at Woohyun.

 

"We're not friends," he spat the word as if it were like poison to him. "Hoya and Sungjong, you guys are my friends. But if you ever thought you could just barge into my room and bribe me with food to get into my good graces, you're wrong."

 

Woohyun was sending him an unreadable look now and Sunggyu forced himself to finish his statement before shutting his door and never coming out until that damn bastard leaves.

 

"I've never liked you, Nam Woohyun, and I never will."

 

The shut of the door rang through the apartment, and for the next few minutes all was silent.

 

"Well," Sungjong broke the silence, clasping his hands together. "I'm sorry, Hoya, Woohyun, Sunggyu is in a bad mood this morning. Shall we continue breakfast?"

 

"Sure," Hoya shrugged. "We all have our bad days sometimes. I guess this was just one of those days."

 

Woohyun still had that unreadable look on his face, strangely silent.

 

"Woohyun?" Hoya nudged his friend. "Come on, let's have a good breakfast."

 

"I wonder what's wrong..." Woohyun said, finally sitting down. "I tried to be nice."

 

"When you said you wanted to come here, I actually thought that the two of you were coming along," Hoya admitted. Sungjong nodded in agreement, as he drizzled syrup on his pancakes. "I guess not."

 

"I don't want anyone to hate me," Woohyun honestly admitted. 

 

"Could have fooled me," Sungjong said. "A few weeks ago, I thought you enjoyed Sunggyu's hatred."

 

"But that wasn't real hatred," Woohyun pointed out. "He didn't really know me back then."

 

"And now he does?"

 

"Well, we did talk on the phone...among other things," Woohyun silently stated, deep in thought. "I'm trying my best."

 

"You want to be his friend?" Sungjong asked.

 

"..." Woohyun paused. "Yeah. Or something like that."

 

"Like what?"

 

"I want him to give me a chance."

 

"Why are you even interested in him?" Sungjong raised an eyebrow. "You've never been interested in befriending anyone before."

 

"I don't like people judging me," Woohyun said honestly. "Not before they know me. Again, I said, that I don't want anyone to hate me. Not for that long, anyways."

 

"You should go talk to him," Hoya said, food still in his mouth. "Tell him what you just told us."

 

Woohyun just stared at his best friend. "Are you crazy?"

 

"I'm not," Hoya replied, wiping his mouth on an napkin. "I just think that's the best thing to do."

 

"Did you just hear him? He didn't even want to try the breakfast I prepared!"

 

"Maybe he just wasn't hungry."

 

"Hoya, I bet if you prepared the food, he would still be here."

 

"What makes you think that?"

 

"He likes you more."

 

"No he doesn't."

 

Woohyun shot Hoya a look of disbelief. "Are you crazy?"

 

"Okay, so maybe he does," Hoya smiled, deepening Woohyun's frown. "But that's okay! You can still be his friend too!"

 

"You are so unhelpful."

 

Sungjong finally spoke up, "Just go talk to him. I'm sure he'll understand if you talk to him."

 

"I don't think that's a good idea."

 

"I think that's the best idea," Sungjong nodded, crossing his arms. "He's in his room right now. Go talk to him; he could use the company. Honestly I think Sunggyu needs more friends than me and Yeol."

 

"But I've never talked to him before," Woohyun admitted. "Not really. It was never serious."

 

"There's a first for everything," Hoya declared. "And besides, when has Nam Woohyun ever been scared of talking to someone like Kim Sunggyu?"

 

"Yah, I'm not scared," Woohyun said, kicking the leg of his chair. "I'm just thinking of all the possible scenarios that can happen."

 

"Worst case..." Sungjong looked up at the ceiling in thought.

 

"Sunggyu will still hate you," Hoya finished. "Which isn't bad, because he still already hates you. You got nothing to lose. Where is brave Nam Woohyun, eh? Go in there already!"

 

"Okay, okay," Woohyun forced himself to move in front of Sunggyu's bedroom door. He was going to apologize. And he was going to ask what was wrong. And they were going to be serious.

 

Hoya and Sungjong had migrated from the dining table to the television, flipping on a channel. Hoya nodded at Woohyun, and Sungjong gave a thumbs up, "We'll see the both of you out in a few minutes, we'll go somewhere together," Sungjong assured. 

 

Woohyun took a deep breath and summoned all of his brave energy. The thought of politely knocking on the door fleeted through his mind, but fled before he could consider it, before Woohyun found himself opening the unlocked door and letting himself in to Sunggyu's room.

 


 

 

Sunggyu was sitting on his bed, reading glasses on, wrapped up in a thick sweater, and playing away at a game on his phone. He did not look up when Woohyun came into the room.

 

"Leave." The voice said automatically, pausing Woohyun in his movements. "I do not want to deal with you right now."

 

"I'm not here to play around," Woohyun stated, hand still at the doorknob. "I want to apologize....for whatever I have done."

 

Sunggyu finally looked up from his phone, a frown on his face. "If Sungjong or Hoya sent you in here to do this, then you can go. I don't want to talk right now."

 

"They didn't send me."

 

"Oh?" Sunggyu smirked slightly. "So Nam Woohyun came to apologize to me on his own will? I'm touched."

 

"I said that I was being serious."

 

"Okay, then what?" Sunggyu sat on his bed, patiently waiting for an answer.

 

Woohyun paused for a second. "Why do you hate me?" he asked, like a child.

 

"So you're being insecure now, Nam?" Sunggyu gloated. "I never thought it was possible."

 

"Please, I am being serious," Woohyun felt like digging himself into a hole. This was unlike himself, he knew, but this situation had called for it.

 

"Please? Now you're begging me too? This is precious, too precious," Sunggyu smirked, and Woohyun felt like digging him into a deeper hole. "First you make breakfast, then you try to apologize, and now you're begging for forgiveness? Are you my maid now? Is this some sort of trick?"

 

Woohyun had no idea how to react to Sunggyu laughing at him at that moment. "Stop it," he hissed, a look fo hurt on his face. "It is not a trick, and I'm serious and yet you're not taking me seriously!"

 

"What do you really want, Nam Woohyun?"

 

"I..." Woohyun started, and opted to get straight to the point. "What you said earlier, about how you hated me. Why?"

 

"Can't we just leave it, that I hate you just for being you?" Sunggyu said irritatingly. "I don't need a reason."

 

"You do," Woohyun urged. "I don't like people hating me."

 

"Oh yeah? And I don't like people breaking into my apartment and waking me up in the morning."

 

"I didn't break in," Woohyun defended. "Sungjong let us in."

 

"You broke into my room," Sunggyu pointed out. "Twice."

 

"I..." Woohyun paused, with nothing to say back.

 

Sunggyu now looked irritated, crossing his arms. "If you have nothing else to say, you can go."

 

"I don't want you to hate me," Woohyun blurted out, and inwardly winced at the desperation in his voice. Why did he sound so goddamn needy? "I thought it was funny at first, but after a while it's getting to me. Do you really hate me? I don't like people hating me. What did I do? I want you to know me before you judge me."

 

He said it all at once in one breath, and by the end Woohyun just felt like leaving. But he forced himself to keep standing, rooted at his spot until Sunggyu could form a reasonable response.

 

One second felt like one year, and about ten of those had passed before Sunggyu opened his mouth to speak and Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief at the sound that once again filled the empty void of room.

 

"You're being serious." It was a statement, a fact.

 

Woohyun nodded. "Yes. I already said that."

 

"And you don't want me to hate you."

 

Woohyun winced. "Can you stop bringing it up? I'm not like this that often."

 

"You want to be my friend?"

 

Woohyun took a deep breath and carefully answered, "I just don't want you to hate me."

 

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun with an unreadable look on his face, and then answered, "I don't really hate you."

 

"Really?" Woohyun's face visibly brightened. "You don't?"

 

"I say it a lot, but the more I think about it, no, not really. " Sunggyu nodded. "I just dislike you."

 

Woohyun's shoulders slumped at the last words, and Sunggyu found that amusing. "How can I get you to not dislike me? I am trying my best."

 

"What, by making me breakfast and bothering me?"

 

Woohyun shrugged.

 

"I'll admit that before, all this time I thought you were a cocky bastard who just wanted to make my like miserable," Sunggyu admitted. "Maybe you wanted to threaten me later, or blackmail me, I don't know."

 

"I wouldn't do that," Woohyun firmly stated. "I swear."

 

"I believe you," Sunggyu nodded at Woohyun. "Now, I do."

 

"So does that mean we're cool?" Woohyun asked, a small smile on his face.

 

"Cool?" Sunggyu's nose scrunched in confusion.

 

"Yeah, cool. So we're friends?"

 

Sunggyu quirked up his head in thought, "I wouldn't say we're friends," he said slowly.

 

"But that doesn't mean that we're not aquaintances," Sunggyu said. "And I don't hate you."

 

"Thank you," Woohyun said, a look of relief on his face. 

 

"Was that what you came for?"

 

"I just believe....that if anybody genuinly hates me, there must be a valid reason for it."

 

"And I didn't have a valid reason?"

 

"You just said that you don't hate me."

 

Sunggyu nodded, "I did."

 

"That makes my life easier, thank you," Woohyun smiled at the elder.

 

"You are welcome." Sunggyu couldn't help but crack a smile back. He was learning new things about Woohyun every day, and the more he learned, the more he understood the complex human being that was Nam Woohyun. And as far as he could tell, besides the occasional attitude, Nam Woohyun wasn't a bad man at heart. Not really.

 

"On another note, Sungjong and Hoya want me to drag you outside," Woohyun said bashfully. "Sungjong says you've been cooped up in here for too long."

 

"Did he?" Sunggyu's eye twitched.

 

Woohyun shrugged. "Want to go outside? Let's all go somewhere together. You, me, Sungjong, and Hoya."

 

"I got work to do."

 

"Please? It'll be fun."

 

Sunggyu gave a hidden smile. "Oh, alright," he agreed. "But only since you begged."

 

Woohyun beamed in happiness like a child, "You're a pretty cool person, you know that right?"

 

"Keep doing that and you'll inflate my ego in no time, Nam."

 

Sunggyu proceeded to get out of bed and Woohyun felt like jumping up and down the room in joy.

 

"Ready to go?" Sunggyu was at the door in a second, looking back at him, motioning to go meet Sungjong and Hoya.

 

Woohyun couldn't agree more.

 

 


 

A/N: I haven't been able to respond to comments due to a lot of work, sorry. I do read all your comments though, and thoroughly enjoy them, so please keep them coming! ^^ Ahhh I had no idea that I would write today, two of my 3-hr finals are tomorrow and I can't sleep and I don't feel like studying more so uhh yeah. It's great to be back! I'll be on winter break after this week and I'm participating in an Infinite Secret Santa fic, so I'll get to doing that as well! Happy Holidays everyone!

-Saf