Chapter 11

Delusion and Dignity

A/N: I know that I haven't updated in forever, but here is the next chapter. I will admit that I don't really like this fic as much as my other ones (personal preference reasons) but it is still a fic of mine that I will finish to the end, and honestly I don't know how long this will be or what's going to happen even in the next chapter after this one. When I started this fic, I wrote it out of sheer entertainment, didn't exactly know that it would get so many viewers and supporters, haha :) But thanks for coming aboard, I guarantee nothing in this fic, but I hope you enjoy the ride.

Now on to the story! It's a short chapter, but I will try to update more often now, in small increments or something like that I guess. 

-Saf


 

Two weeks. It’s been two weeks since Sunggyu had last seen Woohyun.

 

After breakfast and their encounter in his bedroom, Sunggyu had to admit that the rest of the day went quite pleasantly. Oddly enough, he and Woohyun acted civil around one another for the entire day. They reached upon a silent consensus to do this…Was it for Hoya? Sunggyu didn’t know. It was nice though, to look at Woohyun for once and not have threatening thoughts of the other man.

 

It has been two weeks, and Woohyun and Sunggyu had never spoke to each other since. Sure, they would see each other at school, a simple wave hello, or a simple hold-the-door-open-to-the-next-person thank you occasionally, but no more than three words at most were spoken. It was as if nothing had ever conspired between the two. If Sunggyu didn’t know any better he would have passed all those years of animosity off as a dream.

 

“Hyung!” Sungjong called from the living room as Sunggyu sat at his desk. “It’s your turn to make dinner.”

 

Sunggyu sighed, the younger’s voice cutting his thoughts. “I’m coming.”

 

"You sound tired," Sungjong poked his head into his room. "Are you okay?"

 

"Fine," Sunggyu nodded absentmindedly. "How was school?"

 

Sungjong visibly brightened at the question. "It was good!" he said. "Woohyun helped me with some homework today. He is really helpful, hyung."

 

Something flared within him at the mention of the other man. "Good for you," he nodded slowly before heading towards the kitchen.

 

"Woohyun is a really nice guy, Sunggyu. You were wrong to have wronged him before," Sungjong pointed out.

 

Sunggyu just nodded, knowing better not to argue with the younger. Certainly, these past few weeks Woohyun has shown himself to be a respectable man despite firsthand prejudices.

 

…But there was still something, nagging in the back of his mind. He and Woohyun probably got along well enough to call each other friends. Acquaintances, at the least, but something about all of this seemed…odd. Sunggyu honestly couldn’t put his finger on it.

 

His mind flashed back to all of his awkward encounters with Woohyun. The store, the alleyway, the bedroom….Sunggyu shook his head. Something felt strange, but he decided to shake it off, and headed toward the kitchen.

 

Those were just coincedences. He shouldn't be taking those things so seriously.

 

"Nam Woohyun..." Sunggyu mumbled to himself, tasting the name on the tip of his tongue. What was this man up to?

 

For the time being Sunggyu labeled it as a small suspicion. There could still be the chance that Woohyun really was being genuine, and Sunggyu was wrong to even suspect him in this moment. He will keep his thoughts to himself.

 

Because, at least on the outside, he and Woohyun were on the same side now. At least that was one less opponent to frustrate over.

 


 

Keep your friends close. Your enemies, closer.

 

Woohyun could almost hear his father’s deep voice echo through his head as he drummed his fingers against the pearly wooden desk in front of him.

 

Two weeks. This is the period of waiting. Patience is key, as Woohyun smirked silently in his office. He was like a tiger, creeping up slowly, before pouncing upon his unsuspecting prey.

 

Kim Sunggyu is too easy, Woohyun stifled a chuckle. All he had to do was act like some emotionally needy teenager, and then Kim grudgingly came along, accepting all of his false apologies and eating up his act.

 

I should become an actor someday, Woohyun mused in his mind. This game was much too fun to play, especially when he owned all the cards.

 

Kim Sunggyu held no chance of taking his place in his friendship with Hoya; it took that whole day of the three of them together with Sungjong for him to realize. Woohyun was Hoya’s best friend, since always, Hoya had always said. Even their mothers were best friends even before the two were born, and Woohyun was foolish to believe that Hoya could actually replace him.

 

Thus, he decided to take control of the situation. Some entertainment, Woohyun liked to call it. Just how far would Sunggyu be willing give in this so-called friendship? How long will Sunggyu live under the rouse that Woohyun is his trusted friend? How good is his own acting to fool the oh-so-smart Kim Sunggyu himself?

 

Woohyun snickered in his mind. This was just too fun.

 

In a week, he would continue his advances again. In a week, he will spend more than just a few seconds speaking with him.

 

Maybe I’ll take him out for a movie. See what scares him, Woohyun thought in amusement.

 

Taking a deep breath, Woohyun leaned back in his office chair. The air conditioning in the room was cold, but his gleaming eyes, colder.

 

Next week, then, he will see Kim Sunggyu.

 

He looked forward to it.

 


 

"...And as you can see, class, we can determine linear dependency through determination of a system's reduced echelon form and consistency. That concludes our lecture for today," the instructor sighed as the rustling of papers sounded throughout the room and the students began filing out the hall.

 

Sunggyu put away his glasses, before safely tucking his notebook in his backpack. It was Friday, and for once he was glad. He was going to relax today, for a nice weekend in which he could sleep in for hours and not see anyone like Woohyun.

 

He sighed as the other man came into his mind. Lately, he has been thinking about Woohyun way too much for his tastes. Before, Sunggyu knew to the bottom of his mind that Woohyun was despicable; he had always hated him. Now, Sunggyu was not so sure. 

 

He knew that he felt something more than neutrality, yes. But which way this more-than-neutrality leaned, Sunggyu did not know. It came with part of the odd feeling in all of this, which he couldn't identify. Was Woohyun really being genuine? Sunggyu would trust so. These past three weeks nothing has conspired between him and Woohyun other than a short few words of acknowledgement.

 

"Hey, Sunggyu." Sungyeol clapped his shoulder from behind as they exited the hall together. 

 

"Sungyeol," Sunggyu nodded in acknowedgement, keeping his eyes looking in front of him.

 

"Do you think you can help me with a few homework problems?" Sungyeol asked.

 

"It's Friday," Sunggyu replied bluntly.

 

"So? You're not busy, are you?"

 

Sunggyu shook his head.

 

"So you'll help me?" Sungyeol's hopeful voice pleaded.

 

"Uh..." Sunggyu was never good at refusing. "Sure."

 

"Great! Let's go to the library!" Sungyeol lead the both of them in that direction.

 

"I still need to get my things," Sunggyu said, pulling the opposite way. "How about I meet you in an hour?"

 

Sungyeol sighed, "fine," before waving a good-bye to the elder.

 

Sunggyu just shook it off, deep in his own mind until he reached his locker.

 

Subconciously punching in the lock combination, he snapped out of his mind when he found a small crumpled piece of paper jammed at the bottom of his locker.

 

Curious, he picked it up, smoothing the wrinkled creases through his fingers. In notable neat handwriting, were words that made Sunggyu's eyes widen and (regrettably) his heart race speed up.

 

Meet me at the park, tonight at 7.

-W

 

...And at that moment, Sunggyu fiercely told himself that he was absolutely not going to go.