Chapter Three - Part 1

The longest summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After this discussion with Yoochun, he was seeing the matter differently.

 

Those new informations all over his head, Changmin left the apartment and walked back toward the Kim's house. He didn't realise it yet, but some things changed for him. His understanding, his thinking, his relation too, in a way.

 

When he arrived in the restaurant, he greeted quickly some customers who recognized him easily and directly walked toward the backroom. With an undecipherable expression, Jihye's eyes followed him then focused back on the regular customers at the table.

 

Changmin didn't have to look for a long time before he found Jaejoong. With a cook apron on, he was preparing some vegetables with his father not far away preparing a sauce as he occasionally took a glance toward a plate in the oven.

 

“Pr- Hyung ? Changmin called with hesitation as he came closer. He didn't know if he could call him with this nickname any more.

“Changmin...” Jaejoong murmured as if he could barely believe the sight in front of his eyes. “Are you okay?” he asked with concern.

“I talked with Yoochun,” the younger said with a tone he hoped to be detached.

“Oh. I see.”

 

With a simple look toward his father, Jaejoong earn the silent authorisation to leave for a while. He thanked his father softly and untied his apron. Without opening his mouth, Jaejoong walked away and guided Changmin through the house, his apron dancing around his arm, following his movements.

 

They stayed without talking for a long time and ended up almost naturally to wander in the garden. With Jaejoong by his sides, Changmin could almost forgot his talk with Yoochun and his questions. He had so many things to ask, so many precisions he needed, yet in front of him, he had no more question.

 

“Why?” He simply asked.

“I don't know,” Jaejoong answered. “I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't really think it would...”

 

Changmin stopped to look at him and frowned. He couldn't believe Jaejoong was serious. He couldn't imagine one second the older man was really expecting him to not be hurt. With such a secret, leaving him behind... how could,'t he? Jaejoong looked up sadly and continued.

 

“I've been thinking about it for a while and it almost haunt me. Now that you're old enough to stay by yourself, you don't have any reason to come here any more. I know you're still coming because of my mother and me,” he stated, as if this could explain everything.

 

Slowly, he resumed his walk and Changmin followed.

 

“You shouldn't.”

 

They walked a long time and Changmin didn't dare to try any comment, too troubled, lost. He didn't see what was the link between both topics. Or maybe he could, but didn't want to, too afraid. He wasn't really sure.

 

“You know, mother asked Kyungjin if you would come in the beginning of the year. She answered she wasn't sure herself. You weren't calling much and seemed busy with your new life and new studies. I knew this year was a new start for you, I knew it, but it was more than I could imagine. I couldn't be sure you would come or not.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter