Last Song

Seclusion

 

Last Song - Dave Days

...too much to think about, nothing to do

she's not coming back...

 


 

All that Mingyu was doing the day after the first concert in Hong Kong was sit around the hotel apartment, waiting next to Wonwoo’s phone for a call from his girlfriend. A call that would free him at least of the weight of being the main source of Jaehwa’s sadness. But for hours it would just lie there and do nothing.

Mingyu had spent all morning just staring at it, but after lunch he had started to worry he might not be prepared for the show in the evening, so around 3 p.m. he had started looking for a song.

As he was just starting to feel somewhat satisfied with something, the screen next to him light up and a ringtone was coming from it. A beautiful picture of Jaehwa was shown on it and Mingyu had been just about to pick it up, when Wonwoo grabbed it out of nowhere and walked a few steps away, answering it.

“Yeah? Hi Jaehwa...No he’s not. How are you?...Oh really? I thought you might…No, no it hadn’t been my idea…Of course I didn’t! How bad of a friend do you think I am?” Wonwoo said, ignoring Mingyu, who was on listening attentively.

“He…can you wait for a moment?” The older one asked and looked at his friend, covering the mic with his hand, so Jaehwa wouldn’t hear them. “What should I tell her? She asked how you are.”

“First of all, how is she?”

“She still feels a bit torn about it. She says, she gets that you want her not to feel sad, but she still somehow does, since you sounded so…pitiful.” Wonwoo explained.

Mingyu thought for a moment. He hadn’t thought she’d figure out his intentions so easily. But she had always been way smarter than him. “Tell her I’m doing better since yesterday.”

“Sorry, I just had to tell Mingyu to leave me alone for a moment. He’s doing better. He’s more talkative now. It’s not like he’s back to his normal self yet, but he’s getting there eventually.” Wonwoo said into his phone. “No he didn’t tell me to say this…Would I ever like to you?...Okay I have in the past, but this is serious…Yeah, sure let’s talk about something else, this really is getting a bit depressing…Wait, I just have to…”

He covered the phone again. “Mingyu-ah. She sounds like it’s getting better, but I’ll work a little more on that, okay? And for that, I will leave you alone for a while, okay?”

The younger nodded and Wonwoo walked out of the apartment. Closing the door behind him, Wonwoo walked along the hallway and to the lifts, wanting to go towards the lobby. He really wanted to make sure, Mingyu wasn’t eavesdropping.

“I’m back. Sorry ‘bout that.” Wonwoo said into the mic.

“He had been in the same room with you till now, am I right?” Jaehwa’s voice calmly asked from the speaker.

“Yeah, sorry again, but thinking you’re not worrying too much makes him feel a bit better.”

“But I don’t want him to feel better!”

Wonwoo felt very unsure about what to do. He didn’t want to go behind Mingyu’s back anymore and neither Jaehwa’s. He knew that if he decided to help one of them, the outcome would possibly get horrible for at least one of them.

“Maybe you should just…leave him alone for a while and enjoy your time with Junhong?” He finally decided on what to say.

“But isn’t that what Mingyu wants?” Jaehwa asked.

“Isn’t it what you want?” Wonwoo felt like that had been one of the best answers he had ever given in all of his life. And knowing he was right, he wasn’t surprised by the silence from the other end of the phone.

“We’ll talk another time, okay? I’m a bit busy right now. Say hello to Junhong from me. And tell him that if he treats you badly, I’m not saying he will, but just to be safe, Mingyu will not be the only one to be careful of. No one just breaks my best friend’s heart. Bye.” Wonwoo ended the call, feeling like he accomplished something.

Knowing the people around him, he knew he had probably done the right thing. He possibly had gotten Jaehwa to do what Mingyu wanted her to do, and knowing him, no matter how he would pretend it was okay, he would still suffer, so Jaehwa got what she wanted as well.

Maybe he should just convince Mingyu to prepare something that would have his plan settled.

Being a double agent really wasn’t an easy task.

 

“Mingyu-ah. I’m back.” Mingyu head Wonwoo cheer, as he came in to their apartment again.

“What did she say? Did you get her to believe you?”

“Of course I did. I told her to try to forget about you for a while and spend some tie with Junhong. I also told her she should tell him he’s dead if he hurts her, so you can also relax a bit.” Wonwoo announced with a smile, sitting down next to Mingyu. “But just to be sure, you should sing another break up song.

“I have been looking through a few. Here, listen to this, is it okay?” Mingyu said, as he went over to his laptop and pressed play.

The song finished and Wonwoo nodded.

“I thought about re-writing the last chorus though. The lyrics are maybe a little too positive.” Mingyu said and immediately sat down with a pen and paper and took some notes.

As he felt as if he found the right words to replace the original ones with, he took his notes and went to Jisoo and Hansol’s room. He knocked and waited until Jisoo opened up for him, probably having been waiting for him already.

Mingyu played the song to him and gave him the notes he had been taking, so his hyung could correct his English.

“You’re getting better at English, Mingyu-ah.” He said, just changing some tenses. “But do you really want to sing this? I mean, it’s not very promising of anything happy, is it?”

Mingyu just nodded.

Jisoo looked for the chords of the song and started playing a little on his guitar, he grabbed from the side on his bed. “I had been wondering about yesterday’s song choice as well. Do you want to get rid of her?”

“I just want her to be happy right now. Wonwoo hyung also thinks that maybe right now I can’t be the one to make her.” Mingyu replied.

“I can’t imagine you to be that bad to someone, that Wonwoo as well thinks you can’t make them happy anymore.” Jisoo shook his head.

“I just can’t seem to be able to say sorry to her.”

Jisoo looked at him questioningly.

“At first it was a thing of pride, but now it’s more that I’m scared. Especially since Jaehwa is with Junhong hyung now. You know, I never liked him much, but maybe he really is a better boyfriend for her than me.” Mingyu’s voice was weak, as he tried to explain his situation to Jisoo.

“Where did your confidence go, dude? Really, you’re a lot more fun than him.” The older one said.

Mingyu laughed at that “I may be fun, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m better.”

“I don’t think anyone can really say whether you or Junhong is a better boyfriend. Maybe you’re both good in different ways. But he might be better at being caring about others than you. And if you think that is what Jaehwa needs…”

The younger nodded as if to show, Jisoo said enough “I think right now she is so mad at me and my habits, it is better if she has someone more reliable.”

“If you think so.” His hyung said “Let’s practice then.”

As they felt prepared enough, Mingyu decided to go back to his and Wonwoo’s hotel room. Quietly he had opened it, as he heard his friend talk to someone on the phone.

“…You know, Junhong, I always thought you were a better match with Jaehwa. Sure Mingyu is my closest friend and I should support him, but Jaehwa just…how should I say it? Neither her looks, nor her personality went really well with his.” He heart Wonwoo say and couldn’t move. Maybe he should have just practiced a little longer, because he really hadn’t wanted to hear something like that from the person he trusted most in the world. “And actually, from the beginning I’ve been wondering why she just dropped you for him…Yes, you can take that as a compliment. Sure Mingyu is a great guy, but he is a bit too immature for her isn’t he?...Of course I knew. And in the beginning I had also tried to tell him Jaehwa might not be the right one for him, because of you. Seems like I was right again.”

What Mingyu was overhearing was so different from how he knew Wonwoo. Never had he thought his hyung actually was such a sneak. “Yeah okay. Congrats on your new relationship with Jaehwa again, Junhong. Sure. Ok, bye.”

For a few more seconds, Mingyu just stayed in the same position he had been, listening to one half of that conversation. Then he reached back to open and close the door again and tried to put on a less shocked and sad face. “Done practicing!” He announced and walked into the room now, where Wonwoo was still standing with the phone in his hands, examining Mingyu carefully. Latter let himself fall on the couch again and started looking for the remote, as if he heard nothing “Actually I think, she might try to forget about me after tonight’s song.”

“What was it called again?” Wonwoo asked, now also looking just as always.

“Last Song. She will probably think we will do the song Jisoo hyung and I have actually been practicing from then on.” Mingyu said.

“And I guess you are not actually planning on doing so.” The older smiled.

“We’ll see.” He the TV and tried not to look at Wonwoo disappointedly whenever he felt Wonwoo wasn’t paying attention to him. His eyes were rather small, but he noticed a lot more than other people Mingyu knew.

At some point his hyung covered his face with his hands, supporting his elbows on his knees, as if he was thinking or crying or having another kind of crisis.”Why…doing this?...wrong…complicated.” Mingyu picked up from the other’s mumbling.

“Are you okay?” he asked and touched Wonwoo’s shoulder, but he immediately sat up straight again and nodded a few times.

For Wonwoo it had certainly been hard to say all those things he had. He knew Mingyu had been in the room. Wonwoo might have tried not taking sides, but he thought it might be over faster this way. Jaehwa wanted his friend to feel horrible and he completely understood why she wanted to, since he actually knew a little more about her past than Mingyu. He had also noticed what had been going on between them the weeks before they broke up and he thought Mingyu really ed it up this time. But he didn’t want to let Mingyu suffer for long. Actually, he had never thought any of the things he had been saying. The worst was still not being able to tell either Jaehwa or Mingyu everything he had been told by them. He felt like he had suddenly been beamed into a drama and now everything was depending on him and his decisions.

 


 

AN: And the drama goes on...Am I being too cruel? (So yeah, even if it's called Last Song, this is not the last chapter...by far)