Over You

Seclusion

 

Over You - Graffiti6

I was in pieces when love had gone...

...but now I'm over you

 


 

When Mingyu opened his eyes on the first sunny morning in Hong Kong he immediately was in a bad mood. His anger towards Choi Junhong had grown over the last day and soon he also started getting mad at Jaehwa. What was she even thinking? Breaking up with him and hooking up with someone just weeks afterwards? Even living with him? What had she suddenly turned into?

New articles had released about their relationship the day of their concert, at first about them denying everything, but later that day new pictures of them together would pop out from somewhere.

Mingyu didn’t even want to check on news about them anymore as he got ready, but he still didn’t find a way around finding out about them. As him and Wonwoo were sitting on the couch in their hotel room watching TV, because Mingyu really didn’t feel like walking through the city with the whole band, since everyone wanted to leave with either Junhui or Mingming and those just wouldn’t separate, someone knocked on the door. Mingyu just nodded towards it, motioning Wonwoo to open it. He didn’t have to look to know it was their manager, who had decided to visit them, because as soon as the door was opened, he started talking non-stop about all sorts of useless stuff until he asked: “Wonwoo-ah, what was the name of that dancer friend you had? The really pretty one, Mingyu kept staring at when you took her to one of your rehearsals?”

His attention was immediately drawn to them, but he didn’t want it to be too obvious, so he kept staring at the TV screen.

“Ga Jaehwa? What’s with her?” Wonwoo asked back.

“So it is her. Did you know she was dating Choi Junhong sunbae? Their company confirmed it this morning.”

Mingyu’s mind went blank.

“They…confirmed it?” Wonwoo had trouble saying that.

“Guess you’ll now have to deal with being the third wheel in your friendship with them.” Their manager shrugged and left their room again.

“Now that…was unexpected.” Wonwoo said and let himself fall on the couch next to Mingyu.

“Doesn’t sound like you mean it.” He replied emotionless.

“What do you mean?” the older asked.

“I know when you’re lying, hyung. Since when did you know?” Mingyu finally turned his head away from the screen.

“The day of the second concert in Tokyo. I had called Jaehwa because I’m really starting to worry about you.” Wonwoo tried to avoid his eyes.

“Why would you worry about me? I’m fine.” Mingyu said and tried to smile, but his face only turned into a strange mask of confused emotions.

“I know when you’re lying, Mingyu-ah.”

“You called her?” he tried to change the topic, hoping to sound as casual as possible.

“Yeah.”

“So what did you talk about?” Sometimes Mingyu was really annoyed to always have to exactly ask Wonwoo to find out what you wanted.

“You.”

“Only me?”

“And her.”

Mingyu thought about what to ask next, he didn’t want any short answers anymore. “Is she happy? I mean without me? With Junhong hyung?...”

Wonwoo raised his hand a little, telling Mingyu to stop talking, “One question at a time.” Mingyu took a deep breath.

“Is she happy with Junhong hyung?”

“Very. He’s a good guy. And if I was a girl I probably would want to date him as well.” Wonwoo stated. Mingyu huffed and looked away. He didn’t find anything good about Junhong really, apart from how he did his job. If there was one thing he couldn’t deny it was his talent.

“And what did she say about me?” He asked.

“She thinks you’ve been horrible recently. And actually…” Wonwoo stopped mid-sentence, as if to think.

“And what?”

“I told her to watch videos of all the songs you sung, because she didn’t know about them.” Wonwoo looked at Mingyu, who was dying of curiosity.

“What did she think?”

“She called me back when she was finished. And she had been crying. She really feels awful about how you feel.” Wonwoo said.

“So she at least still feels pity for me.” It felt like something was tugging at the corners of Mingyu’s mouth and the hint of a smile appeared on his face.

They were silent for a while until Wonwoo seemed to have gotten over some blockade and started talking again “She doesn’t just feel pity for you. She still likes you, maybe loves you even.”

The smile on Mingyu’s lips got bigger.

“But you know why that isn’t good? Because Junhong is the best thing that could have happened to her.” Wonwoo went on, “Not only has he always cared about her, even when she was with you, but also he never had been mad at you because of it. Because he had never thought anything bad of you, even though your slate is clearly not as clean as his.”

“My slate…?” Mingyu interrupted the flow of words pouring down on him.

“There had been fewer scandals about him than you. You’re more of a bad guy than him, if you know what I mean.” Wonwoo explained quickly.

“Oh okay.” Mingyu was just so overwhelmed by the amount of words, his mind couldn’t quite follow.

“Anyway, as far as I have noticed recently, you have treated Jaehwa like . And that really is not okay, you get me? It’s like you are the exact opposite of Junhong recently. And don’t tell me he only uses her in times when it’s crumbling in her relationship, because really, he’s just caring about her. You also can’t tell me you liked her first, because technically he has dibs on her. Without him, she might have not talked to me so soon again and I could have never introduced her to you. And really, she just went out with you, because Junhong hadn’t been fast enough to ask her first, since he is actually really shy.” Wonwoo stopped for a moment to take a deep breath and have Mingyu think about what he had just said, “And when she saw you being all romantic and missing her and finally seeming to care about her, simply doing all the things she really wants from her boyfriend, she thought about throwing her newly developed relationship with the guy, who really is like that, not just when he gets dumped, just…throwing it all away. Jaehwa is one of my closest friends and she really has gone through quite a lot of things in her life. She deserves to be happy. And right now, you’re just not the person that can make her happy.”

Mingyu’s smile had faded long time ago. Wonwoo was good at talking, but Mingyu knew he was right .There really was no persuasion needed.

He couldn’t recall Junhong hyung ever being rude to him or mean. He had always been helpful and nice, even though he had been with the girl, Junhong had liked before him. And maybe Mingyu had just seen things the wrong way when he had seen his hyung with some girls before.

And he himself wasn’t better than him, he knew that. While Junhong had usually tried to avoid any kind of skinship with Jaehwa when Mingyu was around, he had actually not cared about being affectionate towards his female friends. And in the last weeks he had spent with Jaehwa, she really hadn’t seemed as happy.

Wonwoo was right. Maybe Mingyu just had to let her go. So that at least she could smile.

“Hyung, you said Jaehwa was always watching the videos of my performance with Jisoo?” Mingyu asked.

“Yes, I did. And I also said they make her feel horrible.”

“I have to change that.” Mingyu said and got up from the couch to look through Jaehwa’s music again for a fitting song for his plan.

“What are you doing?” Wonwoo asked, turning around and leaning on the backrest so he could see Mingyu.

“She should be happy. And she is happier without me. So she should think I’m fine with the breakup, so she doesn’t have to worry or feel guilty.” Mingyu said, as he was slowly scrolling though the list of songs.

“Do you really think that will help?”

“It will. If she calls you again, you have to tell her, I am really trying to forget about her, okay? No matter how my condition is.” Mingyu insisted.

“You have to promise me.” He added, “Please do not tell her I’m feeling bad about it. All I really want is for her to smile and be happy, be it with or without me.

Slowly Wonwoo nodded. “But what are you going to do?”

 “I’ll sing a break up song.”

 

It had taken Mingyu quite a while to find a song he though was okay to sing. There was quite a number of break up songs Jaehwa had listened to every once in a while and many of them had a really happy feel to it, cussing at the person who left them. Mingyu wasn’t angry at her and he certainly wasn’t happy about her leaving. At least this close to his sincere feelings, he wanted to stay.

As soon as Mingyu had decided on the song, he had informed Jisoo about it and they had started practicing. Mingyu had tried his best to smother his tears, but he had shed one or two, when analyzing the lyrics a little better with his hyung, so he really understood every single word of what he was singing.

It was getting late and time for Mingyu and Jisoo to perform the song and this time, knowing she would see this, Mingyu really had a hard time not starting to cry rivers under the spotlight.

The lies, converted into melodies and rhymes just barely left Mingyu’s lips. But he had to seem confident in some way. I’m okay. I’m okay. He kept repeating this in his thoughts. The acting lessons he had taken for years now really started paying off.

It wasn’t until after the show, late at night in his hotel room, that a feeling other than numbness and neutrality arose.

 


 

AN: Finally I finished this chapter. It had taken a bit longer than expected, sorry for that. I hope you liked it, though ^-^

Edit 6.8.2013: I am incredibly sorry, but I just realized how little sense it makes that Seokmin doesn't knwo Jaehwa when she had been living in the same house with him for quite a while. So yeah, I changed it to their manager...I hope that's okay.