"We're best friends, right?"

Always be Mine

 

* Kwangmin's Point of View *

As we reached the park, Hyein's tight grip on my hand began to slowly loosen but she didn't let go even as we slowly walked toward the playground area in silence. She only let go when we had to climb over the fence because it would have been nearly impossible to do so while holding hands, but as soon as we were over it, she linked her arm around mine and sighed.

She knows I'm Kwangmin because of the text message from earlier.

Pretending to still think that I'm Youngmin is pointless, so why?

“You okay?” I asked the same thing I had asked at least three times in ten minutes. She never replied, just stayed silent. “Hyein...”

“When I asked Youngmin to stay with me tonight. That was actually you, wasn't it?”

She didn't look at me when I nodded so I quietly said “Yes.”

She then looked up at me with a smile. “You've gotten so good at acting like him. It's kind of scary.”

“Sorry for being scary.” I rolled my eyes and tried to pull my arm out of her grip. She resisted though and kept holding onto it while giggling softly. I almost couldn't tell she was feeling down anymore because she looked genuinely happy now.

“Aww come on, Minnie, I was kidding! You're not scary.”

I managed to wiggle free from her grip and ran toward the swings. She followed but instead of capturing me again, she sat on the swing beside mine and started swinging her feet with another childish giggle.

“I'm going to win!” she stated competitively.

“Win what? This isn't a competition.” I scoffed pretending to still be hurt from when she said I was scary earlier. Of course, I really wasn't hurt but if it kept her smiling, I decided I would continue with the pretense.

“Yes, it is! Who ever jumps off the swing the furthest wins, three two one — jump!" and she jumped, and I did, too.

I wasn't ready for it so she managed to jump further than me. “Yah! You cheater!”

I ran after her as she made her way toward the slide, laughing out loud again.

We played in the playground for around an hour or two, so I was surprised when I looked at my phone and saw that it was 03:30 in the morning. “Hyein-ah! Look at the time. Shouldn't we go home?” I said, feeling out of breath as I had just chased her around the playground.

She stopped and turned around to me, and I nearly ran into her but stopped right in front of her. I looked down as she fidgeted with her fingers.

“Hyein-ah.. If theres something wrong with you, you can tell me.” I spoke quietly, wrapping my hands around her shoulders and pulling her into a hug. “I may be scary, but I'm a great listener, unlike the other twin that's not scary.”

All of a sudden, I felt her start shaking as a quiet sob left her lips. I quickly loosened my arms and tried to look at her but she wrapped her arms around me and pressed her forehead against my chest so that I wouldn't see her face.

“Oh man, what kind of a guy am I? I made a girl cry.” I said, keeping my hands on her shoulders because I didn't know what else to do. “I don't know how to deal with this.”

I could have sworn I felt Hyein giggle a little, before she spoke quietly, almost as a whisper.

“You don't have to do anything.”

“Let me know if there's anything though.” I whispered, slowly hugging her closer to myself again. “We're like... best friends, right? You can trust me.”

She replied with a gentle nod, so I led her to a bench and we sat down.