Monday Afternoon

Strangers Talk

I don’t know how the weather changed from a sunny one to a rain shower. This kind of weather is actually depressing.

6th period ends, and I know that Jongin won’t be in the back of the school. I mean, who the hell would let himself be drenched under the rain. But... just to be sure, I want to check.

Luckily, I got this umbrella.

I’m 15 minutes late from my usual time and there, I saw under my usual tree, Kim Jongin was shivering and wet.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I don’t know what’s gotten into me but I was mad. Like an overprotective mother.

He sniffs and just simply said, “Waiting for you.” He shows me Sophie which is packed in a ziplock.

I sigh. A really deep one.

I texted my mom that I’m going to have a classmate coming over. My mom seems to be enthusiastic.

 

As soon as a brown sedan stopped in front of the school gates, I ran close to it with Jongin under my wing and knock on the door for it to open. We seated at the back and I scoot to the left to give space for Jongin who is trailing behind me.

“Hi Mom.”

“Hey Kyunggie,” and then mom look over at her rear view mirror and I guess she’s staring at Jongin.

“He’s Kim Jongin.”

“Nice to meet you Jongin.” She greeted. “It’s nice meeting one of Kyunggie’s friends.” Then she smiled at him. And I know that smile. It’s just gross. Even if she’s my mom I think it’s gross.

“Mom!” I groaned since I feel like I’m in middle school. Just like how I introduced Baek to my mom. Except I was really friends with Baek. But with Jongin... I don’t know.

___

Dear God,

I have a confession to make...

I had let trolls and bacon mess my room and now that it looks like a snake pit, how can I let Jongin see this?

___

We went upstairs, to my room, but I have to warn him first.

“My room is a havoc. I know the room dictates the personality of the owner but I’m not a guy who is messed up. I always clean my room. It’s just that Baek and Chanyeol always hangs out here and –“

“It’s okay Kyungsoo, I don’t mind.” He was shivering. “Can we go in now?”

“Sure. Go in, Jongin.”

Then I realized I made a pun of his name.

 

I had Jongin seated on the chair at the study table as  I look for a towel and extra clothes. And the only thing that I got is a black sweatpants and a white shirt with a printed [Save the ocean. Save the fishies.]. still I handed it over . better than stuck being wet.

“I’ll just go down the kitchen and checkout the fridge.”

I didn’t wait for him to nod and immediately made my escape towards the door. I didn’t check out the fridge since mom is already in front of the stove and said,

“Bring this soup for Jongin.”

I nodded. I didn’t go upstairs until mom finishes with the soup. I carry it in a tray and balanced it in one hand when I tried to open the door. Jongin was there, in the clothes that I gave him and– wait. Is he opening my photo album!?

I placed the tray down on a coffee table and quickly ran to him to snatch away my book of embarrassment.

“You look so cute in there Kyungsoo.”

Ugh. I tried not to make a mortified look on my face. “My mom made us soup. You’re not allergic of mushroom, are you?”

“Nope. ‘shrooms are fine.”

Shrooms. It reminds me of pots.

 

We just sat there, me on the edge of the bed and him on my study, eating/drinking/sipping the soup called “Cream of Mushroom”. There’s a thought in my head questioning why it is called that when in fact there’s just an ample amount of mushrooms placed on the soup. Like teeny weenie bit small amounts.

Both of us finish it at the same time.

This is it. I must make my inquisition in regards to my best friend, Sophie.

But Jongin beat me to it. By breaking off the silence, I mean.

“So... I guess you saw?”

“Saw what?”

“Oh please, don’t play dumb with me Do Kyungsoo.”

“I am not, Kim Jongin.”

Then he stared at me.

“Okay, maybe I am. But it doesn’t matter.”

My last sentence made Jongin raise his eyebrow. “It doesn’t matter?”

“Yeah.”

“My dear Kyungsoo, I don’t know if you’re feigning innocence or just being ignorant.”

“Well said Jongin. Now, give me Sophie back.”

“Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Feisty aren’t we?”

With that, Jongin gave me a zipped locked Sophie. One thing I’m greatful about Jongin is at least he’s smart.

“Aren’t you curious on what we did?” Jongin was now leaning on the wall, ankles crossed.

“Well, a bit, but of course I knew what happened. I’m not stupid or anything.”

As I was flipping over Sophie’s pages to check, Jongin took her away from me. And of course, I protested but then was pushed over my bed with his hands over my shoulders. It was warm. A leg between mine and droplets of waters falling from his hair. A very, very dangerous Kim Jongin. Attractive yet dangerous. He has that corner of his lips pulled up to a smirk, making my heart race.

“Achoo!”

Saved by the sneeze, Jongin pulled away and grabs a tissue by the bed side.

“Ack. Colds. And I was even trying to seduce you.”

“Sorry but I’m not as rich as Kris.”

I think I regret saying that because Jongin became stiff after that.

“So you’ve heard.”

“Heard about what?”

“ion rumors.”

“Well, aren’t they true?”

“Yes and no.”

“Does it make a diference? Kris pays you for .”

“Because I got no choice. I need money. But the last time –“

“You need money for what Jongin? Drugs? Pots? Weeds? Or whatever you call them.”

“Why does it always have to be about drugs?!” can’t I just need money for something like a dance lesson!?”

 

At that time, I feel like I was a part of that society who judges not only homouals but people who wants to earn money for self-gratification. Not the self-gratification of satisfying one’s own ual urges but the self-gratification of satisfying one’s own desire. And Jongin’s desire was to be happy through learning how to dance.

 

[The world is not a wish-granting factory. – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.]

 

I feel like a bastard. I don’t know what to do now that I’ve made things between me and Jongin really awkward.

“I’m sorry...”

“I’m sorry for lashing out too...”

“So... was the with Kris good?”

Jongin groaned. “Kyungsoo...”

“What? I just wanna know.”

He looks at me and I look back. The air between us now seems to be back to normal and now, me and Jongin are both laughing to our hearts content.