That's Why I Love You~

Memories and Promises

 

“I happened to be coming at the spur of the moment and didn’t make any reservations beforehand. Any room I can occupy for the time being?” he asked the receptionist and gave her a warm smile.

“Unfortunately, all our regular rooms are occupied, but we have a city-view suite and it’s also facing the Han River. It’s on the 36th floor. We also have a pent house, if you would like?”

“I’ll take the suite. Thank you.” He flashed a smile and waited for the transaction to finish and his key.

“May I ask for your name, sir?”

“Eric." He paused "Eric Sanders.”

“Mr. Eric Sanders?” The receptionist asked with an edgy, unfamiliar American accent.

“Yes, that would be me.”

“Here’s your key card, Sir, and have a good day.”

“And do enjoy your stay at the Holiday Hotel.” The receptionist said with hint of happiness and delight in her tone.

“I will. Thanks for that warm welcome.” He spoke with his flawless American accent and tilted his hat and left for his room.

He went up straight for the elevator and pressed the button. As soon as he entered the elevator, he was awed by the luxury design of the hotel and good thing he was the only one riding it. When he arrived at the designated floor, he looked at the key chain and the number and design was intricately engraved to it— 3612.

“So this is it.” He stood next to the door of his room, slid the key and voila, a wide spaced suite before his eyes.

“Wow! I’m really gonna enjoy this and I don’t think a hundred bucks is going to be enough. Expected.”

 

Knock, knock…

He wondered who would it be and opened the door.

“Good afternoon, sir. Here’s your luggage and car keys, enjoy your stay.”

“Well thank you for that.” He handed a tip and closed the door.

 

“Now that’s complete.”

He placed his luggage and hand bag just beside the side table and juggled his car keys in his hand. “I wonder what my little Jung is doing right now. Let’s give her a call, shall we.” He dialed her number and there were three consecutive rings before the person on other line picked up.

 

“Eric! I didn’t expect you to call.”

“Yeah, I just couldn’t resist not talking to my little Jung. So what are you doing now?” his expression bright.

“I’m busy eating and second, don’t call me little Jung anymore. I’m not little, I’m your big girl now.” She spoke as of like a little girl not wanting her daddy to call her a little princess.

“I just want to call you that since you’re still not old.” He joked around and was suppressing laughter behind his voice.

“Stop it or I’ll hang up.” Her voice seemed stern and serious.

“Hey, hey, you know I’m joking. It’s just that, I can’t believe you grew up so fast. The last time I remember, you were still my childhood bestfriend and neighbor and now, we’re already grown-ups, but good thing we’re still together and you know, bestfriends.” His voice was serious as well, but a hint of gladness and pride. He walked over to the kitchen and grabbed himself a glass and poured a brandy.

“Yeah, I can’t believe that too, but we’ll be friends forever. We promised that to each other, remember?”

“Yes, I remember that alright and I wouldn’t forget that event. We even did that in your backyard when we were 9. Oh I miss the old times.”

“I miss it too, wish we could go back. Anyway, I’m starting to lose appetite if we don’t hang up soon. Ha ha ha.” She joked, half smiling, half grinning.

“Aye! Madam! By the way, I’m going to the mall later since it’s just 5 minutes away from the hotel that I’m staying. Let’s meet there? I’ll call you, alright? Bye, love you!”

“Love you too.” By then, she hung up.

 

He carried his luggage into his room and left it beside the wardrobe across his bed. He opened the luggage and slowly unpacking the contents and segregating some of the things. “This goes to the drawer, and this, and that to the closet.” All the things were now neatly placed into its place. He took a deep breath and exhaled. “I want this to be a perfect day. Or I hope so.” He started ing his shirt, leaving it half-opened and walked his way to the bathroom. “I wonder what’s going to happen on my first day here.” He said to himself while facing the mirror. He dropped all his clothes on the floor and walked to the shower and the shower heater. It took him 10 good minutes to finish fantasizing his dreams with Jessica in the shower, or at least. “All done!” he said to himself.

He dressed himself with a white dress-shirt. The shirt was tailored right to his size, showing his masculine features. A fresh pair of slim-cut denims and his all-time favorite, a white casual tennis shoes. Just a little touch to his hair and was all good to go. Off to the mall, I go.

 

He rode the elevator while going down and left his spare key to the in-charge.

“I’d recommend you having an umbrella while going out, sir.” The in-charge suggested and offered him an umbrella under the hotel’s services.

“Don’t worry, I’m on SPF 50.” He flashed a smile. “I’m kidding, I’m going with the umbrella please. Thank you very much.”

“Good day, sir.”

 

He then walked out and pressed open the umbrella and started walking towards the Mall. “It wasn’t that far though and it might be a good exercise, except that I’m walking under a 36 degree Celsius heat and I don’t think this is a good work-out.” He arrived to the Mall and went inside at a swift, begging for the cool air-conditioner. “Ah! Next time, I’m taking a cab! I can’t stand the heat anymore.” He said to himself. He left his umbrella on the baggage counter before exploring into the depths of the mall. “I didn’t expect it to be this big.” He walked left and right and off his way and stopped at a coffee shop located at the mall’s terrace. “Quite a lot of people for a weekday, huh?” He stepped inside the coffee shop and inhaled the fresh aroma of coffee beans. “Pure Arabica.”

“That would be correct. Good afternoon, sir. To your seat?”

“Thank you.”

“What would you like from our menu, sir? We have our weekday special, Monday Blues. It’s a light frappe with a soft caramel fudge on the middle and an optional cream on the top, it can be non-fat cream or the regular or none. Anything you have in your mind, sir?”

“Hmmm… I’ll take a regular caramel frappe. That would be all.”

“Alright, one caramel frappe.”

“Oh, I forgot, the milk should be non-fat and the cream too. I’m on my diet.” He smiled sheepishly at the waiter.

“This won’t take long.” The waiter reassured and walked to the counter.

 

“One caramel frappe with non-fat milk and cream please!” The waiter ordered the barista.

After 3 minutes, he was served with his non-fat caramel frappe. He took a sip and was delighted with the taste of his purchase. “I wonder what their secret is. Hmm.” He looked around the place and the magazine rack took his attention, he went to grab one and was now lost in his own world after he started reading.

 

 

“Hey oppa! It’s me Krystal, do you remember me?” she smiled from ear to ear and was glad to see her sister’s boyfriend. “I wish you were my boyfriend too! I’m so jealous of unnie. So how’s Earl?”

He snapped out of his reading and turned to Krystal. “Oh hey! I didn’t expect we’d meet up here. And you’re also my little Jung. It’s just that, your sister is just a little bit special. Hehe. And Earl? He’s fine, a little busy, I guess. I left the company on his hands for now.” He smiled and turned to Mr. and Mrs. Jung. He stood up and greeted them with a smile plastered on his face.

“Care if we join?”

“Of course! Why would I refuse?” he stood up and offered the chair for them.

“So how are you and my daughter right now? And the company, going smoothly? I suppose?”

“We’re absolutely fine! And because I just came here two hours ago and we’re supposed to meet up here, but I haven’t told her where I am, or we, yet. Oh, I guess this is going to be quite a reunion, yes? And the company? Oh, there’s nothing to worry about. Dad can still manage and plus, Earl knows how to run it. So that makes them two.” He smiled at his future family and fished for his phone in his pocket. “Excuse me while I call your daughter.”

 

“Hey Jess, I’m here at the Mall already. I’m in this coffee shop by the Mall’s terrace. I don’t know the name coz it’s all in Korean, but I think you know what I’m talking about.” He told her where he was at, but leaving aside that her parents was also there. Just for surprise purposes though.

“Good call! I’m almost there, I’m still in the cab, but I’ll be there in five minutes, if not, call me again. I’ll hang up now, bye.”

“Alright, take your time. Bye.”

 

He returned to his seat and took a sip of his frappe. “Well, she’s still in a cab and said she’ll be here in five minutes.”

“I guess we’ll be waiting for her now. And also, tell our regards to your father. I hope the company goes well.”

“By the way, do you want anything here? It’s on me today. And yes, of course.” He was wise and showed a little respect for his company.

“I was about to order something for us, but anyway, I’ll go for an Americano.” Mr. Jung said, his eyes still glued to the menu above the cabinet at the counter.

“I’ll have an Earl Gray Tea. Thank you.” Mrs. Jung said with no hesitation.

“Oh, I didn’t know you like tea, Mrs. Jung. Wise choice, but I’d prefer a Green Tea with a hint of lemon though.” He replied with a smile.

“And I’d like a Monday Blues, oppa!” Krystal exclaimed.

“Sure, anything for my little Jung.” He stood from his chair and walked up to the counter for their orders. “Would that be everything for the Jungs?” he asked again making sure before any second decisions. “That would be all. Thanks, Eric.”

“Nah, don’t mention it.” And he walked towards the counter.

 

 

“Hey, you forgot! I’d like to have my regular, Caramel Frappe, non-fat, no cream.”

The blonde appeared out of the blue and walked towards Eric. “I can’t believe you ordered something without me.” She gave him a kiss on the lips. “And why didn’t you tell me that Mum and Dad were here?”

“Surprise?” was all he could say, and then kissed her back. “Alright, you go get a seat and I’ll order us the drinks.”

 

“I didn’t expect you here, guys. Well, how’s your stay here so far?” she faced her family and was happy being with them.

“Didn’t Eric tell you? And we’re a bit lonely at home, we miss our other comrade.”

“Surprise was all he could say, but not a surprise anymore though. And don’t tell me the three of you are playing Soldiers again? Haha! I can’t believe you guys, but I’ll come home soon. I’m just going to have to fix something at the house that I rented.” She straightened her clothes and sat comfortably on her seat. “Who read this magazine?” she asked.

“I did.”

Eric came to the table with their orders ready and carefully placed them on the table. “Be careful, the tea is hot.” He sat on his chair right beside his girlfriend and grabbed her hands and intertwined it with hers. “Glad you came.” He whispered, his breath sending electric vibes on his girlfriend.

“That’s why I love you.” She replied, her face flushed from his hot breath on her ear.