Best Friends

Memories and Promises

7:34

The morning breeze swept through her room. The breeze pushed the curtains to and fro, the sun was now visible and it’s light passed through Yuri’s windows leaving her blinded. She turned to her side avoiding the sun’s brightness. Soon enough, she rose from her bed and stood firm on her feet. Still feeling a bit drowsy, she dawdled herself to her bathroom and took a quick bath. Thereafter, she strode towards the kitchen and grabbed anything within her grasp. Cooking wasn’t her thing yet, she did a little experiment on it just to add some flair on whatever she was doing. After cooking breakfast for herself, she continued with her personal necessities and quickly made her way to the door. She latched the knob just to be on the safe side. Nothing matters to her the most than her treasured property.

She marched a few blocks from her house to the bus stop. The walk was adequate enough to maintain her captivating physique; she was neither skinny nor plump. Soon after, she was nearing the stop and just at the right time, she was approaching a bus. She took the ride and off it went. The school was a 15-minute ride, throughout the ride she doubted her thoughts about everything that’s bothering her. The bus was residing at a bus stop nearby the school and she dropped off. She hurriedly walked towards the entrance gate and met with some of her friends. She showed a gesture with her hand and left without uttering a voice. Now approaching her classroom, 4-A. Boys were circling in one area so as the girls. Gossips were from the left and right of the classroom. Everyone was so exhilarated about something. Nonetheless, it was none of her business. There was still plenty of time before the class starts. Others were plying their gadgets and on with their booming music. The classroom was soon turning into a mini disco pub. Noise was erupting everywhere it was inevitable, perhaps? She was alone in her seat and didn’t bother turning in to one of her friends. They were waiting for her but she certainly refused their bid.

Being alone wasn’t a burden to her but bliss. In spite of everything that’s been troubling her lately, she paced it off with a grin. Then along came her friends, since she didn’t go to them, they went to her. From their looks, they wanted Yuri to be a socializing person not just a top student nerd slash geek. Despite having a noisy classroom, they still continued on their ‘girl-talk’. Yuri never wanted these kind activities but she was patient to herself. “Hush Yuri, hush…” She thought. Her friends were now having a light yet serious talk and there was no way she could draw back, not now. The next turn will be hers and by any means, she was absolutely tensed. Not even a good thought would open in her mind. It was a total opposite in everything she does, whenever she’s not subjected to talk, endless turbulent thoughts would come gushing in her mind… or many, in other words. But whenever she is, she would be startled and dumbstruck. Opposing.

The class finally started, each one was retreating back to their seats. Once it started, everyone was paying their full attention to the one who’s speaking. Yuri being the top student was called upon recitation. She stood firm and answered in full sentence and as formal as possible. Outstanding as expected, she sat back to her seat. All eyes were glued on her again; amazement was shown with a hint of jealousy. There was nothing she could do; her fate was bound to be successful in all ways yet, there’s always a price to pay. Others being jealous was never her concern. Not even once she showed the slightest sympathy that she could to those who look down on her. Not a big deal to her, not only being the top but also the most loved by students and teachers. Isn’t she just magnificent or what? Striving to be a normal person wasn’t a piece of cake for her. Tons of heavy works topple down on her shoulders with no support. Maybe Tiffany can but not always. Anyhow, she still tries to continue living normal, like what other people do.

The class was coming to an end and thereafter was lunch. The teacher wrapped up the lessons and made a final review for the students. Each one was given an outline of the days’ lesson for them to study and review at home. The coverage was broad as expected. As soon as the bell rang, students were rushing to the cafeteria saving a seat for their selves. But for Yuri and Tiffany, it was nothing but a tiring prospect. They went straight to their favorite place, under the willow tree, all by themselves. They sat under it and relished the fresh air oscillate. They talked about everything that happened, each had a lot to share from yesterdays until present time laughing at the same time. They were enjoying their time and nothing disturbed them. Just two very best of friends.

The bell soon rang, signaling the students to go back to their respective classrooms. For Tiffany and Yuri, the school bell was oblivious to them. They walked and talked like there was no bell ringing across the corridor. Then their eyes widened when they saw their hall monitor, they picked up their feet and ran towards their classroom with big smiles on their faces.

“Yes! We weren’t caught. Hahahaha. Good timing, Yul!” Tiffany said gasping for air.

Yuri was so wild and her image was so not like her since she’s always the silent type not the wild type.

“Y-ye-yeah, but everyone’s staring at us.” Yuri stammered.

The whole class had their eyes on them while their faces were full of embarrassment.