The A+ Kwon Yuri

Memories and Promises

 

Around one the corners of the street was a dead end, but to this girl whose mind is always occupied by chain of exceptional thoughts is nothing but a refreshing oasis from a hard days’ work. The dead end was facing a stream coming from the high lands. Yuri who’s standing 5’5 in feet was an A+ student, a remarkable child she is. She impresses her schoolmates with an outstanding mark in every semester of the school year. She was praised in every way, no matter what challenge she stumbles upon on she doesn’t give up on it easily. With words of wisdom from her friends and family, she struggles on becoming a model student for everyone. Everyone see her as the head of the school even though she wasn’t. Her grades in all areas of the school were perfect, from Math down to P.E, no one could ever top her… or at least.

There she was on her respected space, the dead end. Staring at the flowing water made her calm, she gently released all the stress that she held throughout the day, the same boring day nothing quite unusual. She held out her journal, she scribbled and wrote her experiences from that day. Instead of going out with her friends, she spends most of her time on her space just right after classes. Nothing could ever be worth refreshing than staying here by myself.” She mumbled.

The day was turning into dusk and it’s telling her that she has to go home. She jammed all her things into her bag right before the sun sets. There was still time to catch up before she ends up being blinded by darkness. She stood up and dusted her clothes of unwanted dirt and soil. Rushing towards the bus stop she was catching her breath. The sky was dead and the birds ruffled the tranquil sky. People from their offices were coming home and she was too. She waited for a bus to take her home and soon enough there was one coming. She rode on it; it was a 10-minute ride from her space back to her home. For the time being, she buried her palm on her cheek. There were many things coming in and out of her mind and one of it was school works. The week was loaded with work that she can’t even spare a time for herself except for now. The looks of street was lively, people were having fun on their own little ways; clubs, restaurants, going to malls. It never occurred in her mind of going out like what people do during at night. She was always the good-girl. The A+ student and the list goes on. Even so, she still manages to spare a little time for her family, since they were the one who supports her and her right hand when everything turns bad.

Everything was so complicated. Nothing is going out fine in her thread of thoughts. Seems equal to a loose tangled strings of ideas that were arcing in her mind. Too much pressure from school isn’t a good idea and procrastination itself will soon be dismissed. A light day was all she ever wanted from school. Nothing more, nothing less. Just to indulge in little yet merry ‘self-celebration’. It sounds a bit insufficient to others’ perspective but to hers, it was all she could ask for. Thoughts about what might happen in the future popped in her head. Her mind was soon filled with complicated thoughts. It was relatively peculiar. An aspect seems to be new to her in a point she engaged a bit of interest towards it. She was by any means definite to her selection. Not a tiny sense of regret was bound to her, she was fine with it. As long as her feelings would go with the flow. The bus was coming to her block as she could see some familiar houses and posts nearby. She readied her things and emptied her seat for any belongings she could find.

Her 2-storey house was enough for a family to reside in but fortunately; she’s the only one living in it. The inside was filled with brightly colored painted walls. Drapes were suspended from the window, covering the inside. She walked towards her massive aquarium, the water was crystal clear and the fishes were in good condition. Air bubbles from the air pump rose to the surface creating light splashes on the sides. She searched for the fish food and held it. She sprinkled ample amount of food and watch them fishes charge at it. Moving towards the kitchen, she searched for any light food she can find on the cupboard or in the refrigerator and cook it and the only food she could find was chicken . Supposedly the cooking was done in easy steps, as she read the cooking guide at the back of the pack; 1. Rinse the chicken . 2. Grease the pan with oil. 3. Cook the chicken in medium heat till golden brown. 4. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken . To make things even more complicated, she did an experiment with her food and didn’t follow the simple procedure. She adjusted the temperature to high heat and to her curiousness. She burned a portion of the food and was grumpily cursing herself. Her own loss lead her to a mess and took another burdensome responsibility. *Sigh* However, with a stomach filled with food it’s enough for her to endure the heavy day.

With not enough maintenance, the automatic dishwasher broke out. She depended on it since then and was now complaining, another loss to her again. She walked up to the table and grabbed her plate and utensils, off to the sink she was. She hand-washed her plates and was certainly disappointed. There was nothing to be disappointed at but not getting used to house chores was the least expected from her. Her neat exterior was responsible looking but disguised to a mere lazy type of gal. She chuckled from her own thought and found it inane. After washing the dishes she neatly set it aside for it to air-dry. In her somewhat lazy interior she tries to be neat in any area of her life as possible.

The day for her was pretty hard. Difficulty lies ahead on her homework. Everything was so confusing to her; many thoughts were occupying her mind. Can’t think straight, perhaps. “So much for being the top student, Yuri.” She cursed herself. Instead of being proud of what she now gained. From the kitchen to the living room, she dragged herself to the sofa and buried her face in it. She cut her breathing for 5 seconds and exhaled. She did this for 3 minutes, a simple relaxation exercise. Everyday was burdensome for her. There was no time for leisure and quiet times. For the past 3 weeks everything was about school, school, and school. Her attention was centered on one thing.

“Nothing could be much worse than this.” She uttered in annoyance.

 Facing a book was never her so-called fun. It silently kills her. Nonetheless, she still has fun when working it with her friends.

 “A good cold shower would do the trick.” She smiled and shook her head of unwanted thoughts.

Warm water was trickling against her flawless tanned skin. It stimulated her senses and it woke her up from exhaustion, refreshing it was. She held a body scrub and thoroughly cleansed her body with it from head to toe. The scent of kiwi barraged the area. It was one of her favorites and a must-buy item for her. Not even once she didn’t shower a Kiwi-Scented shower gel. Fog from the heated water was circulating the room, the mirrors were covered throughout. She was almost finished with her shower and before she could step out, she always have this ‘fun’ whenever the mirror is covered with fog. She drew her name along with lots of hearts. Satisfied from what she made, she then stepped out. For a few minutes, she air-dried her hair and did some journal writing for the time being. Little did she know that she already gone past her so-called ‘free time.

Time was fast and it was already past 10. She was nearing to an end with her works and personal priorities. Her eyes was getting heavier by the second, she would at times rest her eyes and sleep for a couple of minutes and bolt up again.

“Finally! I’m done with the work. I can finally sleep.” She placed her palm over .

She soon lay herself to sleep. Not noticing the time – 1:30.