The Phone Call

When Fate Becomes Tangled

- Eun-Sung's POV -

 

"H-hello?" I answered shakily into the phone.

"Ah- Eun-Sung ah! Why did it take  you so long  to pick up the phone? Did anything happen?" My mom's voice came over on the phone.

"Our little Eun-Sungie, were you okay at home alone?" I heard my dad's voice chime in.

"A-appa, I'm not young anymore. I was fine at home. Just-where are you guys right now?" I asked bravely.

"We're really sorry Eun-Sung ah, but we don't think that we can make it home today. There's been some trouble on the road and we thought it was best to wait until tommorow morning to drive back. We'll tell you the details later. We love you, stay safe!" my mom said over the staticky phone.

"Be good alright? We'll be home by tommorow afternoon." my dad added as he took over the phone.

"Alright..I will. Come back soon!" I told them back.

The call ended with a loud click noise and some more static.

*sigh...*

I'm going to be alone tonight. For the first time in my whole life.

And it's scarier than I could have imagined.

Feeling a bit chilly, I put the phone back on it's hook and tip toed back towards my room. This was going to be one long night.

I heard the trees start to sway wildly in the strong wind and looked out the kitchen window. Pitch black.

Then there was a loud Thump! noise from my backyard.

"EEp!" I wished that my parents were at home with me so that I could sleep with them in their warm room.

I started stepping up the stairs, but suddenly, there was a strange flash outside and then I couldn't see anything anymore. Everything was dark and I started losing my senses. The blackout lasted for over thirty minutes.

I just sat there, frozen in the spot, holding on to the wooden railing and gripping it tightly. I didn't dare move a step forward, and I just felt so defenseless. My imagination started going crazy at the time and I imagined zombies climbing down the stairs with their sluggish speed. Goblins creeping over to tear off my head, perhaps to keep it for a midnight snack.

I started whimpering, as my already impaired vision became blurry with tears. The darkness seemed to be spinning around me.

*Riiiing* *Riiiiing*

The phone started ringing again, and I thought that it was only a figment of my imagination. I waited, and even pinched myself to make sure I wasn't in a dream. It was real all right.

Maybe it was mom and dad again..

I could barely locate the phone as I shakily got up from my crouch. I felt around blindly with my arms while following the sound of the phone. Ouch! I stubbed my toe on the leg of the kitchen table. I walked over to the still ringing phone and slowly picked it up.

"Y-yeoboseyo? Omma?" I answered into the phone uneasily. My voice was wavering unsteadily.

"Haha ha! Who's your omma? Not me, not that I know of." I heard a sarcastic voice say over the phone.

"W-who is this?!" I stumbled over my words.

"Me. Who else?" I was answered with an arrogant reply.

"Huh? W-who's speaking? Um..I-I'm going to hang up n-now. G-good bye." I was scared what might happen if I kept talking to a stranger in the middle of the night. He hadn't stalked me right?

I was feeling uneasy about this whole situation.

"N-no! It's me, Jonghyun! Don't hang up! Don't you remember that we met earlier in the Joyful Dine eatery?" he asked anxiously.

"Uh..y-yeah" I wiped my tears and sniffed. My voice was still wavery from the scare.

"W-why did you call?" *sniff*

"..." I heard silence.

Then, "Are you crying?" His voice wasn't so demanding and obnoxious sounding anymore.

"I-I'm not- I'm not crying!" I tried to shout normally into the reciever.

"Oh. So..I was just calling to tell you that I picked up a necklace at the restaurant. I think it was yours." he said.

I felt around my neck for my necklace. It was still there.

"L-liar! I'm still wearing mine. I think you've got the wrong person." I said.

"But- I clearly remember you having a shiny metal necklace- multiple times -I saw...I remember because it looked like m-" Jonghyun mumbled almost inaudibly to himself.

Then I remembered. After showering, I had put on a different necklace from the drawer. The one he described sounded like the one I had put on yesterday night. My special necklace. The one I treasured the most. My lucky charm. I couldn't lose that one!

"W-wait. Does it have a strange sun indentation on it?" I asked him hopefully.

Pause. "Er...yeah. I think I see one.." Jonghyun replied.

"Thank goodness!" I sighed in relief and slumped down against the wall.

"You can come get it from me at school on monday." he told me.

"Thank you! I'm so grateful!" I thanked him over the phone and bowed slightly even though I knew he couldn't see me over the phone. I was truely feeling thankful to the devil at this time, even though I normally felt like he was a jerk.

"Okay..So see you. Bye." Jonghyun started to hang up.

I had forgotten that I was in the dark, and that I was still alone in the empty house. All the frightening thoughts came rushing back to me and I started feeling worried again.

"W-Wait!!" I shouted at him. My thoat started to feel tight.

"Huh?.." he patiently stayed on the other side of the line.

"....I-it's just-.." I choked.

"Yah...Are you okay?" Jonghyun asked with a tone of worry, "Did something happen?"

I was fearful that I would be left all alone in the darkness again if he hung up. I momentarity forgot that he was the rude devil that I was supposed to hate. The sound of his voice was more comforting than anything right now.

"It's j-just that I'm alone in my house right now and there was a blackout. C-can you ...can you please...stay?" I asked.

"U-um...ok.." Jonghyun's voice didn't sound too stable either.

"...."

"......"

" T-thankyou." I broke the awkward silence.

"...uh, yeah.." he replied awkwardly.

"....."

Although the silence was awkward, I felt more comfortable knowing that someone was on the other side of the line.

"So..um what are you doing right now?" I asked.

"Ah..I'm.. talking to you?" Jonghyun replied.

"Ha ha! Not like that." I laughed slightly at his literal comment.

"..Can I ask you some things?" he asked.

"..Go ahead..I guess." I answered him, wondering why he would even care to know anything about me.

"Why did you move to this school in the middle of the year?" Jonghyun asked.

I cringed at this question. Normal people would have said something along the lines of, "My dad got a new job so our family had to move." but my situation was not nearly as typical. I wanted to make up a lie to tell him, but I felt that it wasn't right.

Here he was, being serious and asking me a sincere question. Staying with me over the phone, while he could have hung up a long time ago.

He called just to tell me that he found my necklace- I couldn't lie to him right now.

"I...I had some problems with my previous schools. It..it was complicated...my social life" I told him.

He stayed silent and din't probe further.

"So..do you want to ask me anything?" he asked.

"Uhm..what's your favorite food?" I asked randomly.

"It's definitely octopus tentacles! The flavor is just so delicious and irreplacable!" Jonghyun answered excitedly.

"That sounds..kinda disgusting! Ha ha." I laughed softly.

"You've got it all wrong! It's actually really good! Once, I ate a total of 48 huge ones in one meal!" He boasted.

"Ha ha ha...so was your stomach okay after?" I asked.

"Of course! I was fine..eheh..but.. I kind of had to visit the restroom for a bit afterwards though." he admitted.

"That's why too much of anything isn't so good." I said.

"Want to know something else interesting?" Jonghyun asked.

"Okay." I chuckled to myself, already imagining a bizzare scenario.

"Once, I went to Las Vegas with the members and we got kicked out! You know why?" He questioned.

"What? How come?" I asked curiously.

"Because I tried to fit myself into a machine and then I got stuck! The staff was so angry at us!" Jonghyun exclaimed.

"I can't believe it! Did that really happen?" I laughed freely now, not remembering how awkward I was at making conversations. I couldn't even create a decent exchange of words with my new friend, Min-Soo. But here I was, having such an entertaining one with the devil I that I disliked most.

"Of course! I still remember Key and Minho frantically trying to pull me out of it. The whole thing was just unbelievable!" Jonghyun described.

"That seems fun." I commented.

"Ha ha..."

"......"

The was another small silence, but this time more friendly.

"By the way..what do you.." Jonghyun sounded more fidgety now.

 

- Jonghyun's POV -

I laughed as I watched that amusing girl, Eun-Sung, stomp back into the kitchen with a cross look on her face. I really wasn't a mean person, and I especially didn't enjoy tormenting girls.

Only that it had already happened before I knew it. And if I had to be honest with myself, I would admit that I enjoyed every minute of it. Every single second of it.

I really did feel sorry for Onew hyung though- for switching his water with mine even though I knew that something was probably added to it. But the reaction I got from her was more than enough to make me feel that my hyung's sacrifice was worth it.

I reached for my iced water, but something caught my eye. I leaned to the side and picked up an old necklace with a strange metal charm. It was flat and rectangular, with small indentations on it that I didn't bother reading.

I stuffed it into my pocket without giving it anymore attention.

Hmm.. This chicken kimbab is pretty good! I chewed on the food while craning my neck to look out for Eun-Sung.

She still hadn't come out from the place where I assumed was the kitchen. Whenever I tried to ask for a service to lure her out, the other male waiter would quickly run over and attend to me instead.

Seriously! Is she purposefully trying to hide from me? And what right does he have to be working with her? I should have been the one! I thought as I remembered that the guy was our class rep who so luckily got partnered with Eun-Sung for the maths project. I saw her first!

For the rest of the meal, I waited for her to come out, but she didn't. Everyone was done with their food, and were preparing to leave.

"Yah, Bling ah. What are you still lingering around for? Let's leave already." I heard Key nag at me.

"Fine. Fine. I'm going already!" I answered and gave the kitchen area one last glance.

"Can we have desert? Please? I want to drink bannana milk!" Taemin asked Minho.

"Later." he answered simply.

"See you later, Onew hyung!" we all waved goodbye as we stepped onto our bikes and headed home.

My house was in the opposite direction of everyone else's so I waved goodbye to them and rode home alone.

`

I massaged my temples as I layed down onto my hard leather couch. The room was dark when I came home and I didn't bother turning the lights on.

My head was feeling slightly dizzy from the vivid thoughts running through my head. Without my knowing it, a smile crept up my face as I thought of some of the recent events that had occured between myself and that peculiar new girl, Eun-Sung.

That time in the classroom, I still remember how I woke up to find her head on my chest.

 

- Flashback -

My eyes slowly opened, as I winced from the small pains on my body. I had been slammed into the hard wall..from the strong swing of a door.

I felt something heavy on my chest..and I drowsily peered down to look.

My heart almost jumped out of my chest, as I saw a girl's head pressed on to my chest. I realized that it was Eun-Sung.

She didn't notice that I had woken up and continued to listen to my heartbeat.

I gulped quietly and my heart began to beat more rapidly. I stared at her soft hair...and milky white skin..

Arg!! What is wrong with me? I shook away the disturbing thoughts, but my chest wouldn't stop palpitating wildly.

We stayed in that position for a while, until I couldn't stand it anymore.

I got up abruptly, and said something cheeky to her. My voice remained calm although my mind was not.

Then I remembered about the maggots prank I was supposed to play on her. I mentioned the disgusting blue mop that she was holding in her hand, causing her to run away, screaming.

I felt delighted at her reaction somehow, and felt that my two hours of gathering maggots was definitely worth it.

 

- Flashback # 2 -

I excused myself from the classroom after I got permission from my language teacher to visit the restroom. I didn't really need to go to the bathroom, I just needed a small break from the boring lecture.

"EEEEEKKK! AHHHHHH! Kai Opppppaa!!" I turned in the outer hallway to see a bunch of screaming girls chasing a guy on the blacktop of the P.E. grounds.

It was pretty amusing, and I watched to see when he would get caught. to be so popular! I thought to myself. Even though I was a part of the fairly popular friends group that called ourselves Shinee, I was probably the least popular amongst them all.

But I didn't really mind. At least I didn't have crazy fan-girls chasing me all the time.

I watched for a while more as the girls chased the guy into the crowd where the rest of the class were standing.

Then I saw someone in the standing crowd that looked familiar to me. Ah~ It was Eun-Sung! My face lighted up as I started marching over to make fun of how she looked in her uniform. "Haha! You look so puny in those clothes! Like a dwarf!" I was going to say.

The girls were still chasing their target as I walked over.

Then I saw Eun-Sung get knocked down onto the ground.

"Hey! Watch it!" I shouted madly at the wild crowd.

People were starting to form a circle around the poor girl without even helping her up. Eun-Sung looked okay at first, but as the mob started getting bigger, she looked like she was panicking about something. She looked up at all the people surrounding her with wild, hazy eyes. She looked so small and insignificant on the dirty ground.

I rushed though the crowd and shoved some people aside.

"Move it, you idots!" I was fuming now. How could these people be so heartless?

I picked her up with both arms and ran to the infirmary as fast as I could.

"I'm sorry, but there's no more space. If it isn't an emergency, then could you please wait fo-" the busy nurse started to say, but I cut her off and ran out of the place feeling frustrated.

I brought her to the nearby gym where it should be cool enough for her to rest comfortably.

Then I ran back to the school infirmary to borrow a wet towel and stole the mop from Rat-Jung's empty classroom just in case.

And I was lucky I had.

Because ten minutes after I placed the cool towel over her forehead, she got up and started choking. She got hte floor all dirty and I had to clean it up with the mop. She'd better be grateful for what I did.

Then, a classmate ran into the gym where I was and told me that I would get two weeks worth of detention if I didn't hurry back to the room. Sighing, I reluctantly got up and headed back.

I bumped into someone at the gym door, whom I realized was watching the whole time, and I  harshly ordered him to stay in the gym and look after Eun-Sung until she woke up. I hoped that she would be okay.

- End of Flashback -

 

I shook my head as I cleared away all the thoughts in my mind.

Then something fell out of my pocket and I picked it up from my carpeted floor. I the lights and examined the metalic charm it. It looked pretty familiar..

Hmm...Maybe this was Eun-Sung's. I remembered seeing her wear this..

I texted Key and asked him if he had her number. He seemed kind of suspicious as to why I would want her number, but he finally gave it to me anyways.

I didn't know why, but I felt a bit jittery about calling her. Jeez, it was just Eun-Sung the pabo. Why did I have to be nervous about this?

I dialed her number and waited for her to pick up.

She didn't pick up and there was no place to leave a voice mail.

I called again. I didn't believe that she could have been asleep already because it wasn't even that late.

On the third ring, she finally picked up. I was starting to feel fidgety again as I heard her voice.

"H-hello? Omma?" I heard her say in an unsure voice over the phone. Hahaha! She just called me her omma? Unbelievable!

I answered her sarcastically and waited for her awkward but cute reply. I liked it when she felt mad, yet was unable to express it seriously.

But then I heard some silences and her shaky voice followed by several sniffs. Oh my god! Was she alright? Nothing bad happened right?

I couldn't help but to worry, and I felt my arrogant tone automatically disappear.

Eun-Sung told me that she was okay, but it didn't sound too believable.

I didn't want to probe her any further, so I told her what I had called to tell her. Actually, it wasn't even neccessary to call her only to mention that I found her necklace, but I just wanted to hear her voice.

Several minutes later, I was about to hang up, but I hear a loud "Wait!!" and put the phone back on my ear.

I thought she hated me, but here she was, telling me to stay.

I froze, as I heard her unstable voice ask me to stay with her for a while longer.

Was this really happening?

We stayed there in awkward silence, and then she broke it by thanking me.

I didn't know what to say, so I started telling her interesting things about myself to pass time. I heard her laugh naturally and I felt immensely proud of myself for making her feel happy.

I started thinking that she might not actually hate me so much, and I dared to ask her what she felt about me. I was anticipating the answer, hoping that I might perhaps, get a positive reply.

 

- Eun-Sung's POV -

"Um, yes?" I asked.

"What..what do you think of me?" Jonghyun asked carefully.

Just then, the lights turned back on, and I had an excuse to avoid his piercing question.

"Oh! The lights are back on again! Uh- I'm not going to extend the phone bill any longer.um..bye!" I frantically put down the phone and ran back up the stairs before anything else happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello readers! :D Thanks for keeping up with this fanfic so far! Remember to comment your thoughts below!