Letter to Senpai

One Shots

Senpai, how are you? Rena-chan desu. It’s been a long time since I last wrote you, but so many things happened in the past two months that I had no time for it. Gomennasai. Thank you for all the pretty words and wishes, it is the most precious tanjoubi greeting for me. You asked how I have been doing. So here is my story of the past two months.

You already know I started working at a second-hand clothing store. This was my second and third months working there. The pay is great – even huge I must confess – but it gets tiring after some time, standing all the day, walking from client to client, suggesting clothes or giving advices, rearranging  all the wear from time to time, changing newest garments on the window and dummies, working behind the cash register and many more. But I do not complain, as the pay is really high and too good in my opinion.

At first I did not notice, but with some time I started paying attention at a guy, working in front of the store I work in. He is selling and repairing jewelry. He is around my height, has long raven hair in a ponytail, his dressing style is really impressive – though sometimes I chuckle at his preferences of accessories. I myself am not that stylish, though people say I look good and bring out Nagoya’s style perfectly well.

Anyway, I started taking interest in him, when I got the opportunity to watch him work. That day was slow for me, as not many people approached my shop. I glanced at his side and noticed a young lady walking up to him and starting a conversation. Somehow I felt a tight grip on my chest, and because there were no people at the store at that time, I went closer to his workshop, so to listen what they are talking about. I was pretending to eat, though I barely touched my bentou, but at least I had an alibi.

It appears, the lady – short robot-like looking girl with twin pigtails and frilly dress – wanted him to fix her necklace made of black silver. I sighed in relief – yet I have no idea why I was so worried over that lady going to him – and started slowly eating my bentou. But then I choked on it as the lady said this: “Yuki-kun, you have to repair it by any means. I cherish things you gave me, and this present, our second anniversary gift, is the most precious for me, Yuki-kun."

You have no idea, how heart breaking that was for me, senpai, to hear he is taken and has a wife for two years already. It’s like my heart was ripped to pieces, smashed with a potato masher and then tossed in some unknown river in Nagoya... Senpai, just then I understood I fell in love with a taken man. But at least I found out his name. Yuki-kun...

Two months working there passed, and I became gloomier with everyday. By the time half of the third month passed, my smile was like plastic, placed only for people around me, though when I glanced at mirror, my reflection looked creepy and unnatural, just like that robotic wife of his. I barely ate, barely slept, all I did was lived like a robot, pushing through the days as a zombie, barely recalling what happened an hour or two ago.

And then, senpai, one week ago, I overhead two people talking, that made me realize all this suffering was for nothing.. What a fool I was. Here is the conversation I heard.

Man (further as Tomio):   Acchan, you can’t be serious! You misunderstood things! Don’t leave me!!
Woman (further as Acchan):   Tomio, it’s you who misunderstood. I do not care that woman was not your lover, just a jealous friend. I don’t care her saying 'chiyuu' doesn’t mean 'chu~', and I don’t care that I overheard badly. I have another person in my life, and I’m happy with him. Kai is gentle, caring and loving, while you were always rude and arrogant, caring about yourself and fashion more than about me. 


Further conversation of theirs doesn’t matter, senpai. What matters is that at that time it went like BANG in my head, as I understood there is a possibility I also overheard or misunderstood the situation back then. I left the counter, and all the people in line and ran straight to Yuki-kun. He raised his head and smiled at me, looking at me with his sad and gentle eyes, that were locking me in my spot, unable to speak.

“Matsui-san, something happened?” asked he and I nearly stopped breathing. How the hell does he know my last name?!!
“Matsui Rena-san, maybe you need a glass of water? Or someone was rude to you?” asked he in a worried voice, looking at my clients in line, who were dumbfounded by me leaving the counter and running to his workshop – though you know, senpai, I’m bad at sports, so now I wonder how I looked that time.

I finally mustered to shake my head and was about to turn around, all flushing red and embarrassed by my rash actions. But then he suddenly stood up, came to me from behind his desk, leaned in and whispered to my ear: “Rena-san, I can see your bra. You should probably cover it, as I might get jealous of others looking at you.” You have no idea, senpai, what kind of emotions ran through my head, body and in the air. I hastily pulled up my blouse and turned around from him, then stomped back to my clients... I felt so embarrassed, I failed to grasp the meaning of his words. Just the next week, when it was my birthday, I finally understood the situation.

He came to me after work and gave me a bouquet of flowers, red roses to be exact. I darted my eyes at him and slowly opened my mouth. All I could say was one word. “Why?”

He smiled gently at me and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, then leaned in again and whispered to my ear AGAIN! “Otanjoubi omedetou, Rena-san. I’m happy our birthdays are on the same month. It was the most precious birthday gift to me, seeing you run to me and look at me with those beautiful glistering eyes. Now I want to give you a present you really deserve, Rena-san, and those flowers are not enough. They are no match to your beauty and gentleness, so I hope you accept them and me.”

I was shaking inside, and my legs were all wobbly, feeling his breath on my skin, hearing his whisper in my ear. Then his lips suddenly brushed through my neck, he whispered ‘happy birthday’ again, and then left. I slumped on the floor and just then started breathing shallowly, as it occurred to me I stopped breathing for a while.

Nee, senpai, I cannot face him now, I’m on vacation. But I should probably go and apologize for my behavior at all those times. I want to confess... Wish me luck in your mind, and pray for my success. I hope he returns my feelings and that it was not just his kindness... What should I wear... Maybe my red dress and a light make-up.. Or no make-up....

Yours truthfully, 

Rena.

P.S. Senpai, how’s your wife? You mentioned she’s pregnant. I hope soon little Oshima will see this world, senpai. ‘WINK’ and ‘CHU~’to all three of you.